NTDP 2019-20 Season Thread

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
took in the USHL Fall Classic this past weekend and the NTDP U-18’s looked good in their first two regular season games. Here’s some thoughts on who stood out overall on multiple teams as well as some potential locks for next years U17 squad

Reactions: Whalers Fan

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The NTDP is in action on two different fronts this weekend with the U17's going to Cedar Rapids and the U-18's hosting Northern Michigan and Notre Dame on Sunday to kick off the college schedule.

Looking forward to heading up to Plymouth and catching both games after seeing them play in the Fall Classic last weekend.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Question about NTDP: Are there only the best players from USA? Or can we seen in other USHL teams better ones? That refused go to NTDP?
There are regularly players from Minnesota who decline the NTDP, like Casey Mittelstadt did and Luke Mittelstadt his brother who is draft eligible next season. Both chose high school hockey over NTDP. I would say something like 85-95% of the top talent ends up at the NTDP, there are always some exceptions and questionable cuts as well as late additions for the second year of the team. There are also late bloomers, so the USHL has some good players but it is kind of the 'best of the rest', most of the top players in a given age group are on the NTDP.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Question about NTDP: Are there only the best players from USA? Or can we seen in other USHL teams better ones? That refused go to NTDP?
Most of the top USA talent that doesn't play for the NTDP goes some route other than the USHL -- such as the CHL or as @tealhockey mentioned high school then direct to the NCAA. The USHL teams have some good players, but generally the top talent that decides to go that route ends up with the NTDP and those that do not get selected for the program end up with USHL teams.

Reactions: NTDP

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Had a great two days up in Plymouth watching the U-18's. Nice to see you and your wife again Whalers Fan.

If people ever want to get a good look at what the NTDP really is and can do then go watch them play some games against U.S. Div. 1 college teams. They play some of the who's who in college hockey and are toe to toe with them on most nights. Another good perspective from the weekend is you saw two different elements of the college game. The first night you saw a Northern Michigan team that isn't expected to be one of the top two teams in the WCHA and a Notre Dame team that is still very good. Both games were fast, skilled, and very fun to watch and it showed the parity that is in the college game now as Northern looked just as fast as Notre Dame did the following night.

After the first four games of the U-18 season it's apparent that both goaltenders are very solid and should be all year. Commesso and Grannan have each made two starts and made some very difficult saves on multiple occasions. Especially with the traffic that was in front of them this past weekend.

On D Jake Sanderson is a rugged guy that can skate up the ice. He had a few really good poke checks and got the puck going north.
Tyler Kleven plays with an edge and isn't afraid to hit people. He let a few really hard shots go from the point and plays a very good 1 on 1 game defensively.
No. 14 Brock Faber stood out more this past weekend then the prior one in Pittsburgh. He really held the line well in the O zone and stepped on guys in the neutral zone to disrupt plays.

Up front Dylan Petersen I believe got the first goal vs Notre Dame but he was quieter this weekend. Had moments where he looked a few guys off and distributed the puck quickly. Long season and we know he's a good player.
Ty Smilanic has some very fast hands and when mixed with his shiftiness he can be a threat whenever he's on the ice.
Brett Berard I though was the best forward in the two games this weekend. He creates a lot, gets up the ice fast and has the sense to make plays. They are in action tomorrow in Big Rapids vs Ferris State. That'll be the 3rd straight college game for them. They could get a win there.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Had a great two days up in Plymouth watching the U-18's. Nice to see you and your wife again Whalers Fan.

Brett Berard I though was the best forward in the two games this weekend. He creates a lot, gets up the ice fast and has the sense to make plays. They are in action tomorrow in Big Rapids vs Ferris State. That'll be the 3rd straight college game for them. They could get a win there.

It was nice having dinner with you on Saturday, NTDP. I hope your drive home was uneventful.

Watching Brett Berard wearing number 6 last weekend was a little freaky, as at times he looked a little like Jack Hughes skating out there (Jack wore the number last season). Getting used to the players wearing new numbers as they transition from the U17 to U18 team is always a challenge for me early in the season.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

If people ever want to get a good look at what the NTDP really is and can do then go watch them play some games against U.S. Div. 1 college teams. They play some of the who's who in college hockey and are toe to toe with them on most nights. Another good perspective from the weekend is you saw two different elements of the college game. The first night you saw a Northern Michigan team that isn't expected to be one of the top two teams in the WCHA and a Notre Dame team that is still very good. Both games were fast, skilled, and very fun to watch and it showed the parity that is in the college game now as Northern looked just as fast as Notre Dame did the following night.

After the first four games of the U-18 season it's apparent that both goaltenders are very solid and should be all year. Commesso and Grannan have each made two starts and made some very difficult saves on multiple occasions. Especially with the traffic that was in front of them this past weekend.

On D Jake Sanderson is a rugged guy that can skate up the ice. He had a few really good poke checks and got the puck going north.
Tyler Kleven plays with an edge and isn't afraid to hit people. He let a few really hard shots go from the point and plays a very good 1 on 1 game defensively.
No. 14 Brock Faber stood out more this past weekend then the prior one in Pittsburgh. He really held the line well in the O zone and stepped on guys in the neutral zone to disrupt plays.

Up front Dylan Petersen I believe got the first goal vs Notre Dame but he was quieter this weekend. Had moments where he looked a few guys off and distributed the puck quickly. Long season and we know he's a good player.
Ty Smilanic has some very fast hands and when mixed with his shiftiness he can be a threat whenever he's on the ice.

Great comments. I watched both games this weekend and came away with pretty much the same consensus. They seemed to have all taken a huge step from their U17 year already. I think a lot of people are underestimating the talent on this team since last years U18 team was so stacked. This team has a lot of good players that will open some eyes as the season progresses. Bordeleau, Beniers, Tuch and Laatch all look good too so far. Team went toe to toe with Notre Dame who is a top 10 NCAA team yesterday and will get better as the season progresses. They may not be as pretty as the 01 team but this 02 team plays a tough style that is fun to watch.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The U18 team seemed quicker than last season as the U17's. That's understandable, as the players usually take a big leap in development from their first to their second year in the program. They struggled early on against Northern Michigan, but came on strong as the game went on. It was their first time playing an NCAA opponent, so it seemed to take them some time to get into the flow. They carried that effort from late in the first game through the entire game versus Notre Dame.

That being said, I still see this as a team that will struggle to score against the tougher competition. They just do not seem to have players who can finish the play. There were ample scoring opportunities in both games, but the team struggled to put the puck in the net. We will have to see how things progress over the course of the season.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
It was nice having dinner with you on Saturday, NTDP. I hope your drive home was uneventful.

Watching Brett Berard wearing number 6 last weekend was a little freaky, as at times he looked a little like Jack Hughes skating out there (Jack wore the number last season). Getting used to the players wearing new numbers as they transition from the U17 to U18 team is always a challenge for me early in the season.

that’s true Whalers Fan, they should just keep the same numbers

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Agree with both you guys, some good positives with some of the usual suspects that we know are good players but we’ll see what the he season holds. This team is built more like an actual team (a very good team by junior league standards) and they won’t just skill their way into beating very good teams. But they’re playing a style that makes them tough to beat and they burn you in transition as everyone can really skate.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
5-0 Ferris State over the U-18’s tonight. Listened to it from the Ferris St. radio feed. Game just got away from them as it was 4-0 Ferris in the first ten minutes and Commesso was pulled early. Grannan gave up two throughout the rest of the game. Sounds like Ferris played a tight game and were quick early and throughout. Good learning experience for the kids as they continue on with their college schedule vs another national contender in Providence on Friday.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Also this past week Colby Saganiuk has committed to the Penn State Nittany Lions. He was uncommitted for a while and still can be a flight risk to Erie in the OHL who owns his draft rights but he's someone that I was high on coming into this year seeing him multiple times last year with the Pittsburgh Penguins Elite 16U team.

Reactions: AmericanDream

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Late post but was busy all weekend after the game on Saturday. OT loss for the U-18’s against PC. Good team effort and Noah Grannan again was solid, he really gives you a chance to win every night. Sanderson was the best D out there. Berard and Bordeleau made some things happen up front. Smilanic showed his speed with that goal on the rebound

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Good weekend of hockey as the U17's play the Gamblers tonight and the U-18's travel to East Lansing to play Michigan St. Going to be another hard game against a college team but should be a good one. If the U-18's play the way they did against Providence and Holy Cross they have a chance to win. Back to USHL action tomorrow for the 18's as they play the Madison Capitals at home.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The U18's looked very good at home this weekend, beating Madison twice. Sunday's game was closer - - probably a combination of playing a third straight day for the U18's and Madison's goalie on Sunday playing a real solid game. The team looks a lot quicker and sharper than last season, which is what we should expect.

The U17's played a very good game on Friday night, just falling short versus Green Bay. It was a significant improvement over their first home game. I see they beat Chicago last night, picking up their first USHL win. So, they appear to be improving quickly.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
U17 team is not looking bad at all. I am really excited to see how they do at U17 WHC.

Reactions: NTDP

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
will Sanderson be the only first round pick from this u-18 team???
Early days yet. The NHL's love affair with NTDP talent potential remains strong. As long as the draft stays in its current form, and as long as the NCAA doesn't change their amateur status rules too drastically, I think the annual cream of the NTDP crop will continue to rise into Round 1 picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->