NTDP 2019-20 Season Thread

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
U17 team is not looking bad at all. I am really excited to see how they do at U17 WHC.

They are exciting to watch, there's a lot of talent in the '03 birth year from the US. Also including kids that aren't on the National U17 team. I always look forward to the U17 World Hockey Challenge. Good benchmark early to see how these guys stack up against international competition in the age group.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The U17's blasted Youngstown last night in a fast paced game. I thought they really took control of the game after the first and Colin Purcell hasn't look good in my viewings of him this year. Wasn't to strong at the Hlinka Gretzky and let in a few softies last night. Thought Janicke was good with some strong forward play and likes to shoot the puck. Hreschuk can really move out there. Was a play where he reversed the puck in his D zone and joined the rush to get the puck back in the neutral zone, controlled it deep and made a good cross ice pass which wasn't controlled by the forward receiving it. He plays with a lot of pace.

Pastujov showed his hands with a slick toe drag that beat the defender and Purcell. Red Savage had a highlight reel goal of his own deking around a D man to score on the backhand. Jack Hughes is another that had a strong game. On Youngstown Yusaku Ando had some speed and looked to create a few times. Good to see a kid with that skill from Japan. Thought the only other standout from Youngstown last night was Trevor Kuntar, the Harvard commit made a few plays on the backhand and was around the puck, they were just slower than the NTDP last night as a team.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
US 17 started U17 World Hockey Challenge with a bang. 10-1 victory over Czechs.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Our boys still can't beat every Canadian team despite they have three... Overall USA Hockey have to start winning these tournaments. Another big question is that Gibson Homer should probably play over Mbereko.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Our boys still can't beat every Canadian team despite they have three... Overall USA Hockey have to start winning these tournaments. Another big question is that Gibson Homer should probably play over Mbereko.
It's really the biggest flex that the Canadians can send 3

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
U17 beat Finland 8-4 and are playing least for medal. Gold is obviously only thing they want. I think only thing that worries me with this group is goaltending. Mbereko is not looking sharp.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
It has been great week for NTDP so far. U17 team advanced to the final by defeating Canada White 7-3. They face Russia in the final.

U18 team has won all three matches this week at the 5 Nation tournament in Sweden.

USA U18 - Czech Rebublic U18 1-0
USA U18 - Switzerland U18 6-2
USA U18 - Finland U18 3-2 (SO)

It is nice to see that U18 team is improving.

Reactions: JMCx4

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
You could say that U17WHC is more about experience than results but i am frustrated that we keep losing these finals. Overall it has been promising start from this age group.

Lets hope U18 team can beat Sweden today. It would be great boost for them.

Last edited:

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Brett Berard has been really good lately. Nice to see these guys are taking good steps forward and maybe they can keep our medal run going at u18 worlds.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The entire U18 team looked good last night. It's been a few weeks since we attended a game, as we missed the last weekend the U17's were home and both teams have been away for the last two weekends. There was actually a decent crowd at the game for a Friday night -- over 1,500.

The organization has gone cheap on us the past few weeks with new game sheets. In the past, we would get a four page lineup sheet (two pieces of paper printed on both sides), with write-ups on the teams, full rosters with current scoring stats, plus another roster list with player sizes, birth years, home towns, etc. Now we get a single piece of paper, printed on both sides. We lost the information that I checked the most -- player sizes, birth years and hometowns. The organization is also forcing us to make decisions on ticket purchases for future tournaments a lot sooner than in the past, when the box office manager would hold our seats much closer to the event. We are being told we have to commit to the IIHF U18 World Championship within the next week or possibly lose our seats.

I am not happy with the new management in the ticket office at all.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The organization has gone cheap on us the past few weeks with new game sheets. In the past, we would get a four page lineup sheet (two pieces of paper printed on both sides), with write-ups on the teams, full rosters with current scoring stats, plus another roster list with player sizes, birth years, home towns, etc. Now we get a single piece of paper, printed on both sides. We lost the information that I checked the most -- player sizes, birth years and hometowns. ...
When I first started following minor pro hockey 7 years ago, I got used to having roster sheets handed to me inside the ticket check perimeter with various levels of player details. But printing has become an expensive perk, and most fans have a smartphone to access all that info anyway. So I don't blame teams for cutting the roster sheets from their game day routines, or at least reducing the volumes of paper & ink expended.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The U-18's lost to Youngstown tonight in a game that was 3-0 early off of two breakaway goals (Beniers & Yoder) and a Bordeleau opener. I thought it was going to look like a few weeks ago when the U-17's beat Youngstown by a wide margin but the Phantoms and Colin Purcell in net really played well for 50 minutes after the first 10 got away from them. Youngstown would go on to win 6-3

Thomas Bordeleau has been very smooth this year and had the first goal. On that same shift he came in over the wing and made a smart play to put it off the end wall to the other side where USA could maintain possession. He makes smart little plays like that. Ty Murchison was called up, didn't see the game last night so he may have played with the U-18's on Friday too. Also, Tyler Kleven was struck up high with a shot and left the game in the first period and didn't return.

Brock Faber was solid on D as he made a few escapes followed by a solid first outlet pass. Thought Sanderson was invisible tonight. Chase Yoder had his best game that I've seen yet. Not just the breakaway goal but he played with a lot of confidence and jam tonight. Was decent on draws, had a play where he tried to power cut his way to the net front. Also, Yoder has been solid on the penalty kill. Had a good stick tonight to deflect some passes and closed the gap on guys fast. For Youngstown Kuntar was strong in front of the net and they had a Russian making his debut tonight named Georgi Merkulov who is a 2000 born. He distributed the puck quickly on the power play, skated well, and had a nice patient goal in the high slot toe dragging around a US stick and beating Commesso. Another very solid standout in his first game was Scott Morrow, an 02 who plays with Shattuck St. Mary's Prep team. A Youngstown draft pick from two years ago, he used his edges really well to create space and make smart passes. Joined the rush early and often and didn't seem out of place going from Midget AAA to the USHL. He really didn't make a mistake all night, I thought he was very good.

Reactions: Garyboy

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Two OT wins for the U17's over the Sioux City Musketeers this weekend at USA Hockey Arena. Chaz Lucius scored the OT winner on Friday night with a good play passing the puck between his legs to get a better backhand angle. It wasn't planned out just what he needed to do to get it into a better position. He's been fun to watch this year. Averaging a goal a game.

Colby Saganiuk had a good weekend. He scored a goal last night but he has a motor that's always going. He goes to the dirty areas and has under rated passing ability, all this despite his smaller frame. Dylan Duke had a ripper of a shot last night that went top shelf. For the Musketeers Sam Stange had a big weekend putting up points and scored a couple timely goals against the U17's. He has a quick release and if you give him a chance he's going to score. Christian Jimmenez also had a strong night last night. He steps up in the neutral zone, uses his stick well, and had a great bar down slapshot from far out that started to get the Musketeers back into the game.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The U-18's host the Youngstown Phantoms tonight for the annual Thanksgiving Eve game. If you're attending or watching abroad tonight keep an eye on #95 D for Youngstown - Scott Morrow. Was impressed with his play in the game two weeks ago when they beat the U-18's 6-3. Safe travels everyone.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
U-18's with a 6-3 victory over Youngstown last night. Identical to what they did you USA two weekends ago. Jake Sanderson really stood out. He skates pucks out of trouble, good on the point as a pp qb. Gets pucks through and can stick with guys and knock the puck off their stick. He did that on a down ice rush last night.
Dylan Peterson hasn't been as noticeable in the past few games but he was good last night. Ripped a shot bar down that nearly scored and was around the puck. Made a few dish passes in tight as well.
Luke Tuch has been better. He gets pucks to people in tight and had a good tip in goal, the puck was almost behind him when he tipped it. Also plays well in front of the net, scored a greaser there.
Connor Kelley was noticeable on the D side, laid a big hit and had a one-timer for an assist.
Brock Faber is my second favorite D man on this team behind Sanderson. He lays hits, has speed, and passes the puck hard. I love when guys have zip on their passes, if the forward can't take it it's on them.
Landon Slaggert I want to mention from the game as well. He just impacts the game when you watch him. Can dish puck under pressure. Also has a motor and hustles. Scored from the slot last night and can show up in the right place at the right time.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Has anyone been in the team shop lately? Really would love a hoodie and quartermzip. They were to get a Nike order but last I called they didn’t.
Prices in the shop at the arena are quite high. You are much better off ordering from the website. Prices are better online - - even with the 10% discount we get for being season ticket holders. Right now everything is 20% off online.

I only buy at the store if they have something I like on their very small discount rack. We have been in the store just once this season, and all they had on that rack was kids stuff.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Seeing if this attachment works. I wrote who I thought stood out in last nights game between the U17s and Dubuque. If these images can’t be viewed let me know. I do game updates on twitter too from other leagues @cfriss216

FYI - page 2 comes first, was an accident

Attachments

• 6D088E30-AE18-401A-9843-A2E5DAD1C491.png
    6D088E30-AE18-401A-9843-A2E5DAD1C491.png
    364.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 96C25E66-015A-4CEE-BB93-972B47A494A6.png
    96C25E66-015A-4CEE-BB93-972B47A494A6.png
    569.3 KB · Views: 6

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Was an entertaining game between the USA U17's and Des Moines Buccaneers. It looked as if it was going to get out of hand for USA early in back to back nights but Mbereko stood tall and the US chipped away but the play of Cameron Rowe in net for Des Moines ended up being the difference.
USA U17's (03's)
Goalies
31 Kaiden Mbereko -
Played well, was one play where he had to do the splits to stop a breakaway as the player tried to stretch him out and put the puck past him far side.
Defensemen
40 Aidan Hreschuk (BC) -
Didn't notice him a ton but he does all the little things right out there. He's a smooth D man.
43 Luke Hughes (Michigan) - Had a good poke check on an incoming forward. He also has speed to get back to loose pucks and transition them.
60 Roman Schmidt (BU) - Was little quieter compared to last night's game vs Dubuque but I noticed his sneaky foot speed tonight. Play where a forward had a head of steam and he turned and stuck with the guy to keep him wide. Good little play.
44 Sean Behrens (Denver) - Tonight he was the best D man for USA. He has good vision. Jumped into the rush and scored on a good feed from Boucher. Is a good pp qb, and moves the puck well.
Forwards
51 Chaz Lucius (Minnesota) -
Had a good shot block. Finds open guys and is a threat the majority of the time he's out there. Likes to shoot the puck as well.
56 Dylan Duke (Michigan) - Scored on a nice move opening up Rowe and going 5-hole on a break.
58 Justin Janicke (Notre Dame) - Cycles the puck up by the point in the O zone but has the confidence to not loose the puck. He's strong on it and drives the open lanes to get shots off.
36 Sasha Pastujov (Notre Dame) - Could write something about him and all these guys every night but he's just so good. Can get shots off on the backhand with accuracy and from bad angles, so you're never really sure what he's going to do. Also a good distributor on the power play.
54 Andre Gasseau (Shattuck St. Mary's 16U) - Was called up for this weeks games and I liked his physical play. Also was aware defensively breaking up a few plays in the neutral zone.
33 Liam Gilmartin (Providence) - He has some speed to the outside, right off the hop he had a possible chance where he drove wide on the Des Moines D and nearly beat him to the net. Has some size too.
34 Jack Hughes (Northeastern) - Scored a nice pp goal by getting puck at the top of the right slot, ripped it short side through some traffic. Was a hard and well placed shot. He's a good player.
Des Moines Buccaneers
Goalies
31 Cameron Rowe (01) (Wisconsin) -
Made some good saves on a lot of clean looks throughout the game. Really stood tall late for his team. Was sharp tonight.
Defensemen
7 Tamirlan Gaitamirov (00) -
Quick feet evading and breaking puck out. Made responsible play retreating in zone and just going D to D to create more time for his team.
20 Timothy Lovell (02) (BC) (2020 Draft) - First noticed him at a showcase in Cleveland two years ago and he's the same evasive player. Moves the puck well on pp. Can do quick toe drags between his legs to beat guys - just a creative player. Has great hands to get around you and uses his small stature to his advantage.
Forwards
14 Alex Laferriere (01) (Harvard) (2020 Draft) -
Can bury in front on rebounds. Has a hard shot. Plays a power type game too, he charges forward and gets open ice.
10 Joey Strada (99) (Arizona St.) - Scored a between the legs goal off a rebound on back boards. Showed slick hands to score on a breakaway. He's very fast and has good hands in tight.
15 Michael Mancinelli (01) (Arizona St.) - Great point pressure to challenge Hreschuk and knock puck into NZ on the pk.
19 Matt Choupani (02) (Northeastern) (2020 Draft) - I'm starting to like his game a lot. Had a quick shot on goal on pp face-off. Has skill, sped by a guy and tried between legs move w/ speed. Had an amazing toe drag goal getting around D and dragged the puck across the whole crease to beat Mbereko. Also threw a good quick sauce pass to Strada on an assist. Just a good player.
28 Vincent Salice (03) (Ohio St.) - Had a good backhand/forehand finish all alone in front. Was a good skilled goal from the 16 year old.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Both teams in action tonight as the U17s complete their 3 in 3 in Waterloo and the U18's take on the Michigan Wolverines at Yost in a game I look forward to every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad