Confirmed Trade: [NSH/PHI] Wayne Simmonds for Ryan Hartman and 2020 conditional 4th round pick

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Smart play by Philly to get a young role player rather than grabbing a 2nd. Hartman will be good for them where a late 2nd rounder is a long shot to even become a NHL player.

Reactions: derriko

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Good to see Philly fans are warming up to Hartman. He's known to disappear from time to time, but when he's engaged, he's a damn good pest.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It was also his first game with the rest of the team on a back to back. Not to mention he was really playing a line up from where he will be once Grandlund gets here and Smith is back. Plus let's not act like our PP was anything to write home about. I'm sure he will be fine, hell can't be worse than McLeod normally is.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Smashville got better over the deadline. However so did Vegas and Winnipeg. Going to be an interesting west playoffs.

Reactions: Devonator

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm surprised nobody offered more than Nashville.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hartman (ex-Hawk) but I expected a larger return for Simmonds.
Unless the Flyers really wanted Hartman?

I read elsewhere that Simmonds refused to waive his NTC to go to Calgary, so, presumably, they offered more. Who knows how many other teams Simmonds refused to go to. He could've had a very short list of acceptable teams and Nashville's offer, while not great, was the best from that short list.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
If Hartnan plays like the every night, he will be a fan favorite. Great games despite not getting any points. Every shift seemed to be creating or doing something to be noticed in a positive way.

I 100% guarantee an HONEST Nashville fan will come in and post about Simmonds blind spinning passes to no one in a few games.

Only 1 game, but Simmonds got caved today. Hopefully he will help the Preds PP.

Don't worry, Hartman had a great start for the Preds last year too at the deadline, played hard, scored a nice goal against Winnipeg... then steadily disappeared ever since. This season, not only was he not contributing on the scoresheet, but also wasn't really hitting or agitating. The guy has potential if his motor is turned on every night, but he wasn't producing and got pushed down the lineup and didn't respond with the required effort to move back up and with all of the Preds injuries this year there has been so much opportunity, even on the first line. I hope he gets it going in Philly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Don't worry, Hartman had a great start for the Preds last year too at the deadline, played hard, scored a nice goal against Winnipeg... then steadily disappeared ever since. This season, not only was he not contributing on the scoresheet, but also wasn't really hitting or agitating. The guy has potential if his motor is turned on every night, but he wasn't producing and got pushed down the lineup and didn't respond with the required effort to move back up and with all of the Preds injuries this year there has been so much opportunity, even on the first line. I hope he gets it going in Philly.
I know you mentioned production multiple times. Just remember that at ES, both Simmonds and Hartman have produced the same over the last 2 years. So if you were frustrated with Hartman at ES, that might not change with Simmonds. Simmonds "should" help your PP. That is where his impact could be felt the most.

I said it on the Flyers board, in a perfect world, Hartman comes in and plays well. But the the Flyers look thru FA or trade for another top 6 RW which would actually push Hartman to the 4th line. I believe Hartman is the "backup plan" if the Flyers can't add another top 6 forward this summer.

Giroux Patrick Konecny
Lindblom Couturier Voracek
JVR Frost ????
Hartman Laughton Aube-Kubel

If the Flyers add a RW, he fills that hole. If not, Hartman moves up and someone else from within gets the 4th line duties.

Regardless of what happens, Hartman is a filler/placeholder until other kids are ready. Might be 1-2 years but with guys like Farabee, Ratcliffe, Allison, Laczynski, O'Brien, Rubstov, Vorobyev, Kase, Bunnaman, Twarynski, Strome, etc... all on the way, there will be constant turnover at the bottom of the Flyers lineup. But for this year, and maybe next year, none might be ready and Hartman fills that spot.

But he won't be in Philly long-term, IMO.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Smart play by Philly to get a young role player rather than grabbing a 2nd. Hartman will be good for them where a late 2nd rounder is a long shot to even become a NHL player.

Picks don't have to be used on prospects.

They are currency.

Having more picks can enhance the ability of a team to acquire a veteran player.

Even if a team uses a pick, the prospect will still be a reasonably marketable asset in a trade, only that specific prospects have fluid values where each team values them differently.

You shouldn't just look at it like a pick=x amount percent at an NHL player.

The way I see it, PHI got the worst return of the TDL out if the available top 6 wingers (Dzingel, Zuccarello, Nyquist, etc).

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland

They are currency.

Having more picks can enhance the ability of a team to acquire a veteran player.

Even if a team uses a pick, the prospect will still be a reasonably marketable asset in a trade, only that specific prospects have fluid values where each team values them differently.

The way I see it, PHI got the worst return of the TDL out if the available top 6 wingers (Dzingel, Zuccarello, Nyquist, etc).
This might come as a surprise to you, but Simmonds is not a top 6 winger.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

They are currency.

The Flyers upgraded from Simmonds to Hartman, and got a conditional 4th rounder on top of that. I'd say that's a win.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
The Flyers upgraded from Simmonds to Hartman, and got a conditional 4th rounder on top of that. I'd say that's a win.

Reminds me of the Zhitnik for Coburn trade. Then Coburn bringing back Konecy and Gudas. Philly is pretty slick on trades like this. Hartman will be a great replacement for Simmonds at a cheaper contract.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Unless Simmonds plays great in the playoffs and Nashville wins the Cup?? Then Nashville got exactly what they wanted.
Losing Hartman was also ultimately a plus for us. We couldn't figure out what to do with him and he wasn't performing outside a few stretches. Frees us up the roster spot long-term while getting a better fit in the short.

Reactions: Mitts888

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Looks bad in the end that they traded a 1st + for him.
Sure, but glad they were willing to cut their losses than keep trying to make it work because of what they gave up (and only the 1st is a big loss from it). We effectively traded the 1st for a rental Simmonds. Still not a great deal, but Simmonds has been better by the eye test than on the scoresheet and has brought some sorely needed leadership in conjunction with Boyle.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
At ES, Hartman has 24 points, Simmonds 21. At Es, Hartman is also the better defender. Simmonds obviously is the better PP guy. Next year, if the Flyers can add a player thru FA, Hartman will be on the 4th line which makes for a very good 4th line. But if not, he is a good fallback or a guy who can play "up" when injuries occur.

Hartman has 4 points since the trade, Simmonds 2.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Simmonds with 1 goal 2 assists 3 points in 17 regular season games and 2 playoff games played with 0 points for him with Nashville and Nashville is now eliminated in round 1

Wow just wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad