Confirmed Trade: [NSH/PHI] Wayne Simmonds for Ryan Hartman and 2020 conditional 4th round pick

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
If one team had to get him, and one team had to get him at a good price (though i don’t hate the return), I’m so glad it was Nashville personally.

I’m on the bandwagon preds. Get that cup

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
The Blackhawks' SB Nation site were comparing him to Shaw a few years ago. Shaw mixed with Upshall, kind of? I mean, I doubt he will break out and be scoring at a 0.67 PPG rate like Shaw is this year, but maybe a 20-20 guy if he progresses.

Last edited:

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I have always been impressed by Hartman as a Hawk and Pred; I wish him well in Philly.

Simmonds is good for some garbage goals but I feel Nashville needs more speed than size at this point. It should be a very interesting playoffs out West, though. Sharks, Flames, Knights, Preds and Jets all have very legitimate chances to reach the finals. The crazy thing is at least two of those teams will matchup in round 1, unreal.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Is Hartman worth more or less then a 2nd round pick right now would be my question.

I'd say a 2nd is a decent valuation. I think the press overpaid with a first but a 2nd feels about right. He's a young cheap bottom 6er with 20G upside based on his past.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I have always been impressed by Hartman as a Hawk and Pred; I wish him well in Philly.

Simmonds is good for some garbage goals but I feel Nashville needs more speed than size at this point. It should be a very interesting playoffs out West, though. Sharks, Flames, Knights, Preds and Jets all have very legitimate chances to reach the finals. The crazy thing is at least two of those teams will matchup in round 1, unreal.
I think we have good speed. Forsberg, Arvidsson, Grimaldi, Smith, Granlund all above average and none of Sissons, Bonino, Jarnkrok, Johanson or Turris are slow. In the back End Josi, Ekholm and Weber are all great skaters

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I think Nashville is probably one of the few teams that can actually utilize Simmonds at this point in his career. I don't mind the deal for the Preds. Hartman wasn't going to give them the offensive boost they want. Simmonds can be insulated at even-strength by Nashville's forward depth (which they will need to, as Simmond's two-way prowess has eroded), but still contribute to a PP that desperately needs help.

In Granlund and Simmonds, Nashville acquired two players who address their biggest weakness: the PP.

I think it was the right idea for Poile.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Im really curious what the calgary offer was that rumors say simmonds turned down. I'm disappointed in the return. Nice to see him reunited with lavi. Good luck to the preds

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm pretty sure Hartman is as good or better than simmonds at this point. neither are very good, though.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I log on to see that the Preds have gotten Grandlund and Simmonds

13031616.jpg

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd say a 2nd is a decent valuation. I think the press overpaid with a first but a 2nd feels about right. He's a young cheap bottom 6er with 20G upside based on his past.

I feel like a huge part of the Preds paying a "1st" for Hartman was in the contract value at the time. He was great value last year and this year...next year, he'll be coming knocking for a payday as an RFA with some arb rights leverage. So yeah...he's less "valuable" now than he was at that point, but i wouldn't necessarily say it was big "overpayment" for the Preds at the time either. Especially now that they've leveraged him into an important piece of a trade to get Simmonds who should at least help them by banging in some net front PP goals.

I kinda like the get for the Flyers though. They get a versatile gritty Top-9 forward with 20G upside in the right situation. If you're losing Simmonds, you want to at least restock a bit of that edge. And Hartman even with arb rights leverage isn't going to break the bank. Flyers already have some good prospects coming down the pipeline too. Interesting "outside the box" thinking, not just shipping a Veteran rental for picks/prospects.

Reactions: BernieParent

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I feel like a huge part of the Preds paying a "1st" for Hartman was in the contract value at the time. He was great value last year and this year...next year, he'll be coming knocking for a payday as an RFA with some arb rights leverage. So yeah...he's less "valuable" now than he was at that point, but i wouldn't necessarily say it was big "overpayment" for the Preds at the time either. Especially now that they've leveraged him into an important piece of a trade to get Simmonds who should at least help them by banging in some net front PP goals.

I kinda like the get for the Flyers though. They get a versatile gritty Top-9 forward with 20G upside in the right situation. If you're losing Simmonds, you want to at least restock a bit of that edge. And Hartman even with arb rights leverage isn't going to break the bank. Flyers already have some good prospects coming down the pipeline too. Interesting "outside the box" thinking, not just shipping a Veteran rental for picks/prospects.

I guess the value depends on where you think his salary will lie. I don't really think he's done enough to earn more than 1.5 or so. He hasn't really done enough this season to prove he's worth more at the moment, but time will tell.

To your point, he is, at the very least, a good bridge until people like Ratcliffe, Lacynski, and Allison are ready. As of right now we have no NHL bottom 6 RWs for next year ( Simmonds gone, Raffl walks), so Hartman Is an NHL body with some upside that forces the prospects to earn their spot in camp. If they beat you out, great. Hell be cheap enough we can waive him (probably get claimed) or trade him. If he wins the spot - it fills an area of need.

Moving Simmonds allows us to get someone else in his spot on the PP, who looked better there at times this year and last. I still think that Simmonds will do well there for Nashville since he won't be asked for as much, but hes pretty clearly still dealing with some effects of his off-season patch up. Lavi was the one who gave him his start on the PP here, maybe he can do the same for him in Nashville. Go Preds, and get this man a cup!

Reactions: Ruck Over

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
Some good points here about Hartman. As a Preds fan that has watched him for a year, I can tell you he has more talent than he has been able to showcase this year mostly in a 3rd line role. He needs to play on the 2nd line IMHO to really be effective, and he only got that shot in Nashville due to injuries and never got a chance to really gel with his linemates. I could see 1.5 M AAV contract for him next year, and he would earn that.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Hartman will fill a spot in Phillys third line and he will be cheap. For a team that doesnt need a "burn it down and start from scratch" rebuild this is probably a better move than getting a draft pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->