Confirmed Trade: [NSH/NJD] P.K. Subban traded to Devils for Santini, Davies, 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd Part II

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
As a Preds fan I can say I personally had no issue with Subban aside from one thing and one thing only.

It wasn't anything to do with his off the ice stuff. In fact he did a great deal of good things in that area for our community.

It wasn't his risk taking while carrying the puck or making a risky pass. I always knew you take the good with the bad with that type of player and with Subban the good was more likely than the bad in those cases.

It wasn't even his antics with the Refs and how he would routinely flop for penalties as sometimes it worked out in favor and sometimes not.

Nope. It wasn't any of these things above. It was simply his speed. I had watched Subban play in the past (before Nashville) and knew he wasn't a very fast skater. Great edge work yes! Fast no. I noticed it right away when I saw him play nightly and it seemed to get worse over the last few years. With the speed of the game and the way it is being played today, he just isn't able to keep up with the pace of play and it makes his risk reward type of plays glaringly bad when they don't work out well because he can't get back into the play to save face.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As a Preds fan I can say I personally had no issue with Subban aside from one thing and one thing only.

It wasn't anything to do with his off the ice stuff. In fact he did a great deal of good things in that area for our community.

It wasn't his risk taking while carrying the puck or making a risky pass. I always knew you take the good with the bad with that type of player and with Subban the good was more likely than the bad in those cases.

It wasn't even his antics with the Refs and how he would routinely flop for penalties as sometimes it worked out in favor and sometimes not.

Nope. It wasn't any of these things above. It was simply his speed. I had watched Subban play in the past (before Nashville) and knew he wasn't a very fast skater. Great edge work yes! Fast no. I noticed it right away when I saw him play nightly and it seemed to get worse over the last few years. With the speed of the game and the way it is being played today, he just isn't able to keep up with the pace of play and it makes his risk reward type of plays glaringly bad when they don't work out well because he can't get back into the play to save face.
I think this is very fair. His first two years here, I definitely noticed that he was a little slow. Or maybe just modestly average/below-average for speed. Which didn't really matter a lot, mostly it just kind of flew in the face of anybody telling us to expect him to be a "great skater". Great? Ok, but it turns out it's edges and some forms of agility he has going for him, but he's nothing like fast. Anyway, he more than made up for it with his great play in all other areas of the game.

But last season is where the bottom absolutely fell out of things. Last season he was downright "SLOW". Not "below average" in a way that could be compensated for. No. SLOW in a way that caused a lot of problems. It was such a step back that I still think it has to have been due to injury/physical issues. We never got any real official news story directed at that, so we'll never know.

But I figure if it was still bothering him to that extent, New Jersey fans would be all over here going crazy like :scared: Or maybe it's just too early still.

At his previous average/a little slow level of 2016-17-18, he does ok and can still be a star player. But 2018-19 was something else entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad