Confirmed Trade: [NSH/NJD] P.K. Subban traded to Devils for Santini, Davies, 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd Part II

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Lol, what year do you think this is?

After their overrated top 3 (due to Ellis mostly) they're relying on a rookie and #6s to complete their top 4. Their defense is not the class of the league anymore

Nashville has an excellent. Josi is one of the best in the NHL. Ekholm is solid defensively and provides some offense and Ellis is a great puckmover. Yah that rookie is a damn good prospect.

They arent overrated at all.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
History repeats itself

Jones for Johansen a few years ago
Now Subban "for" Duchene

Nashville got the worse player/value in each "trade" but needed to shore up a relative position of weakness.
Johansen was a 23 year old center, which we needed, coming off a 71 point season while jones was a good defenseman with the potential to be great in a logjam to even get minutes.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
This thread has gone on way too long. BUT, I would love to some how set up a poll that shows people voting on this trade while also saying what team they are a fan of. If the poll was "Was this a good trade?," it would be like 85-90% "Yes" by Devil/Nashville fans, and 85-90% "No" by fans of neither team if this thread was any indicator.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Johansen was a 23 year old center, which we needed, coming off a 71 point season while jones was a good defenseman with the potential to be great in a logjam to even get minutes.
Yeah, I don't think (m)any Nashville fans are complaining or will complain about any of these trades. Our situation at center was beyond dire. Our situation on D was overflowing with riches, even after losing Suter. Poile has done everything in his power to address that imbalance.

You could lump the Girard/Turris trade into the discussion too... that's the one that I think more fans might take a little more issue with now. Johansen and Duchene are major drivers on our team, and our defense is still totally fine even without Jones and Subban. But Turris has become a bit of a square peg now. I know that's one where I'd rather have Girard back instead. But even then, at the time it was made, it made plenty of sense and was deemed to fit our need for a 2c perfectly. Only hindsight now that we have signed Duchene has reversed the view on that one. If I had a time machine anyway, I guess I'd go back and tell Poile not to make the Turris move - as opposed to nixing either of the other two.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
:facepalm: Subban has had game breaking ability in his time here, but to say he's the most electrifying player of an entire generation is just hyperbole. He was not very good for most of the year last year, that's not selling him short, it's being realistic.

Ekholm and Josi were both in the top 10 for Norris this year, and Josi has had multiple years in the top 10. I think you're underrating those two, especially if you think Subban is the same player he was when he won the Norris with Montreal.
This is true for last season. Although it doesn't take as much of a rewind as to Subban in Montreal... just the season before last, Subban was better than Josi has ever been, still in Nashville.

It just remains to be seen if last year was a "blip" for Subban, or the start of a new trend. Subban historically, including prior two seasons in Nashville, has been better than Josi. He could still be the player he was in those years, without rewinding further to Montreal years as a reference point. That would be fanstastic for NJ. I'm thinking Poile has a reason (chronic injury) to think that won't happen. But who knows.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Devil's defense has looked pretty lack luster so far. PK has looked the best of the group though so there's that.

I know Nashville didn't trade Subban directly for Duchene but Duchene has looked great for Nashville thus far.

I'd say that this may be a win/win for both teams but it's only 2 games into the season and far too early to draw much from it.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Devils had the leverage in this trade considering that no other teams could take on pks salary without retention or trading cap back. That is most likely why there wasn’t a first involved but davies is a f***ing gem for a 7th round pick.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Devil fans, just wondering how has Subban looked for you guys so far?
He was arguably the best player on the ice in Game 1.

Game 2 was a steaming nuclear trash fire for every single player on the roster + coaching staff + equipment boys + the bus driver so it's hard to parse out his play in particular. He got a 10 minute misconduct for apparently saying something to the officials from the bench during a scrum, so there's that.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Devils had the leverage in this trade considering that no other teams could take on pks salary without retention or trading cap back. That is most likely why there wasn’t a first involved but davies is a ****ing gem for a 7th round pick.

Davies reminds me alot of Girard. If he can turn out anything like him i'd be quite happy with that return. We also ended up with Alexander Campbell and Egor Afanasyev and still have a 2020 2nd round pick. Santini looks more like a cap dump but if he can slot into the 3rd pairing next season, i guess that it isn't a terrible loss. Maybe him and Davies can build up some chemistry in Milwaukee this season and step into third pair next season. Either way cap space to acquire Duchene, Davies, and the draft picks were the real return for Nashville.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Interesting takes above.

That sums up his NHL career as a whole. Very polarizing player. People hated him in MTL and NSH and some people loved him in MTL and NSH. He makes some glaring mistakes that people latch onto (handling the puck too much and giving it away) but then he'll make some smart moves that people overlook. Just depends on what part of his game you want to focus on.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
That sums up his NHL career as a whole. Very polarizing player. People hated him in MTL and NSH and some people loved him in MTL and NSH. He makes some glaring mistakes that people latch onto (handling the puck too much and giving it away) but then he'll make some smart moves that people overlook. Just depends on what part of his game you want to focus on.

His need to be an attention whore takes away from his on ice performance as a top offensive D. Not looking forward to the day when hes an analyst.

Reactions: MC2D

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Getting one of the most marketable and charismatic player in the whole league is a pretty good plus value for NJ too.
And one of the most clutch too. Playoffs Mode Subban is a goddamn monster, and he's showing up everytime.

George Clooney

Jan 29, 2014
His need to be an attention ****e takes away from his on ice performance as a top offensive D. Not looking forward to the day when hes an analyst.

Pretty sure he has higher dreams than being an analyst. I would see him in politic.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Subban definitely had a presence out there, you knew he is a top tier dman and is always dangerous when on the attack.

And he's been in the playoffs what 8 out of 10 years? dude's a workhorse.

I think losing him will be more detrimental to the Preds more than you think after awhile.

It's just crazy to me Poile has had Shea Weber, Seth Jones and PK Subban to now Santini lol, I keep saying it but if he was in charge of a Canadian team, the fans and media would be all over him, relentless. I mean Benning trades Forsling (who just cleared waivers) for Clendening and the world is ending.

And while we had Weber, Jones, Subban and Girard, we ended up with Johansen, Duchene, Turris and Davies with some minor throw-ins as well. Traded from a position of strength to address a lack of talent up the middle.

If, and it's a big if, if we could've moved Weber instead of Jones to land Johansen, I would rather have done that in the long run. Granted, lots of things change because of that but I think that would've made the Preds a much better team then and in the long term. We would've needed to add more to Weber to make that deal work.

Hindsight is always fun. At the end of the day and watching the two games so far this season, I like what I'm seeing out of Nashville overall. Fabbro, while not Subban has not disappointed. Duchene, flanked by Forsberg and Granlund has been pretty dominant. I'm looking forward to seeing how this year shakes out.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
And while we had Weber, Jones, Subban and Girard, we ended up with Johansen, Duchene, Turris and Davies with some minor throw-ins as well. Traded from a position of strength to address a lack of talent up the middle.

If, and it's a big if, if we could've moved Weber instead of Jones to land Johansen, I would rather have done that in the long run. Granted, lots of things change because of that but I think that would've made the Preds a much better team then and in the long term. We would've needed to add more to Weber to make that deal work.

Hindsight is always fun. At the end of the day and watching the two games so far this season, I like what I'm seeing out of Nashville overall. Fabbro, while not Subban has not disappointed. Duchene, flanked by Forsberg and Granlund has been pretty dominant. I'm looking forward to seeing how this year shakes out.
Yep while poile and co have been great with drafting and developing dmen, the track record for centers is terrible. But what other team could lose/trade out the talent of suter, Weber, pk subban, Jones, and Girard and still be able to claim top 5-10 defense?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Getting one of the most marketable and charismatic player in the whole league is a pretty good plus value for NJ too.
And one of the most clutch too. Playoffs Mode Subban is a goddamn monster, and he's showing up everytime.
Dont remember him doing much in playoffs last few years.

Reactions: the

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Dont remember him doing much in playoffs last few years.
I remember him getting beat to pucks by average skaters.

He was on the ice for a team high 10 goals against and only 4 goals for, 3 of those were on the pk.
Josi on the other hand was on the ice for 7 goals against, 5 goals for, and only 1 of those were on the pk. Josi spent an average of 3:06 on the pk, whereas PK was on it for 2:52 per game. PK speed was every bit the problem in the playoffs last year as it was during the regular season but his fanboys won't agree with that.

Last edited:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I have always liked PK. A player with some character is always a plus. Especially if the guy does some positive things which he does. Don't know if he loves attention or people just love to give him attention in both positive and negative forms.

Having said that he does look like he has slowed down but I don't know that he was ever a speed demon. He does make glaring mistakes and I am pretty sure (although admittedly I have not kept statistics on each and every glaring error) some of those must come when his team is in desperation mode.

Maybe he will recycle back to Montreal once Weber is finished. LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad