Confirmed Trade: [NSH/NJD] P.K. Subban traded to Devils for Santini, Davies, 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd Part II

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
But has he really a big ego tho?
He takes a lot of space, but it's more a personnality thing, I think. He moves a lot, with energy.
Maybe the spotlights are always on him because he's that much more charismatic than most other players?

He didn’t have his own stand-up comedy special after the all-star game because he’s that much more charismatic than other players. He did because he went out and pursued that opportunity and that’s why so much of the spotlight is on him than other players of a similar caliber.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
But has he really a big ego tho?
He takes a lot of space, but it's more a personnality thing, I think. He moves a lot, with energy.
Maybe the spotlights are always on him because he's that much more charismatic than most other players?

Isn't ego a personality thing? No offense intended but you sound like an excuse maker. Regardless of how anyone wants to view P.K, he's now on his 3 team in 4 years. A player with his skill level, especially a Dman, doesn't move around like that unless there are "Personality" issue that get old very quickly. This is why I am especially interested in him moving forward because at some point he's going to start his decline and so far he hasn't shown any level of leadership. Quite the opposite, in my opinion.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Isn't ego a personality thing? No offense intended but you sound like an excuse maker. Regardless of how anyone wants to view P.K, he's now on his 3 team in 4 years. A player with his skill level, especially a Dman, doesn't move around like that unless there are "Personality" issue that get old very quickly. This is why I am especially interested in him moving forward because at some point he's going to start his decline and so far he hasn't shown any level of leadership. Quite the opposite, in my opinion.

On his 3rd team in 4 years, but to be completly fair, Bergevin is a total moron and the trade was called as a bad one since day one.
As far as leadership goes, well, he's one of the few players that you know that he'll step up when it matters the most. In playoffs, he was among the best in both Montreal and Nashville, when he wasn't straight up their MVP.
Nashville probably trade him because they think that Fabbro + Duchesne > Subban (which I can get).

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Well tbh here, as much as Bergevin may be a moron, as you say, but Poile traded Weber and Subban and got 2 minor leaguers and two 2nds. So what does that make him? Also as far as being a beast in the playoffs, his team went from Stanley Cup finalist, to quarter finalist, to first round exit. So, how’s that for declining. I think the decline started already and Nashville recognized it and so, team #3.

Reactions: TheNewKid

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Well tbh here, as much as Bergevin may be a moron, as you say, but Poile traded Weber and Subban and got 2 minor leaguers and two 2nds. So what does that make him?

Poile doesn't make that trade unless he's almost, if not absolutely certain that he's going to get Duchene, so your point is lacking to say the least.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Well tbh here, as much as Bergevin may be a moron, as you say, but Poile traded Weber and Subban and got 2 minor leaguers and two 2nds. So what does that make him? Also as far as being a beast in the playoffs, his team went from Stanley Cup finalist, to quarter finalist, to first round exit. So, how’s that for declining. I think the decline started already and Nashville recognized it and so, team #3.

And yet if you combined the defense of Montreal and NJ together it still wouldnt be as good as Nashville. While Poile has made some questionable trades it hasnt hurt Nashvilles defense in the slightest.

Oct 18, 2011
What happened to Santini? Devils fans had a hard on for him for what seems like forever

Hickey AMac/Dahlstrom
Djoos Santini

Would be a passable if low end bottom 4 on many teams
In fairness a few of their fans on this website have a history of severely overhyping some of their prospects. I remember all the stuff about how Severson was a future Norris contender. Again I emphasis it was a small but vocal group of poster

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
...and montreal has missed the playoffs in the last 2 seasons with weber and not subban on the team, and haven't won a playoff round since subban was on the team...

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

Montreal isn't even able to enter the goddamn playoffs now without Subban, so...?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
And yet if you combined the defense of Montreal and NJ together it still wouldnt be as good as Nashville. While Poile has made some questionable trades it hasnt hurt Nashvilles defense in the slightest.

Lol, what year do you think this is?

After their overrated top 3 (due to Ellis mostly) they're relying on a rookie and #6s to complete their top 4. Their defense is not the class of the league anymore

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Poile must have lost his marbles
Subban is the most electrifying player of our generation

Uh, you wouldn't happen to be a Montreal fan would you? The most electrifying player of our generation? Really? Instead of Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, etc.? Not to mention how bad he was playing last year.

Lol, what year do you think this is?

After their overrated top 3 (due to Ellis mostly) they're relying on a rookie and #6s to complete their top 4. Their defense is not the class of the league anymore

And we still have two Norris caliber players in Josi and Ekholm. We don't need to have the best defense in the league, we need to have a more well rounded team, and we did that when we got rid of Subban and his contract and picked up Duchene.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Uh, you wouldn't happen to be a Montreal fan would you? The most electrifying player of our generation? Really? Instead of Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, etc.? Not to mention how bad he was playing last year.

And we still have two Norris caliber players in Josi and Ekholm. We don't need to have the best defense in the league, we need to have a more well rounded team, and we did that when we got rid of Subban and his contract and picked up Duchene.

If Ekholm is Norris caliber there are 50 Norris caliber D in the league any given year. He's great but Jeff Petry tier not top 10 tier

Nashville's defense should still be serviceable if Fabbro steps up but I'm surprised they didn't at least insist on getting Vatanen back

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If Ekholm is Norris caliber there are 50 Norris caliber D in the league any given year. He's great but Jeff Petry tier not top 10 tier

Nashville's defense should still be serviceable if Fabbro steps up but I'm surprised they didn't at least insist on getting Vatanen back

Ekholm was just voted 10th in Norris voting this past year. I don't think you realize how good he is, especially defensively.

Why the hell would we want Vatanen? He makes 4.8M, he's a LHD and he's worse than both Josi and Ekholm. We got what we wanted, cap space for Duchene and picks and prospects.

Reactions: NNCbama

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm surprised they didn't at least insist on getting Vatanen back

How many times do we have to tell you that the main goal of the Subban trade was creating cap space to sign Duchene. No cap space, no Duchene, no Subban deal. Adding Vatanen means not enough space to sign Duchene. This isn't difficult.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018

Crosby has never been electrifying. Ovechkin and McDavid? Sure. Teams tend to miss Subban after the fact. Ekholm and Josi are good Dmen but Norris caliber? You traded a guy who won one and was a finalist a number of times. Don't sell him short.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
How many times do we have to tell you that the main goal of the Subban trade was creating cap space to sign Duchene. No cap space, no Duchene, no Subban deal. Adding Vatanen means not enough space to sign Duchene. This isn't difficult.

You can’t let those with agendas or who just want to stir the pot drive the narrative. NJ and NAS and reasonably intelligent hockey fans get it. There are numerous fans who for one reason or another have it out for Subban or need to justify an earlier trade or whatever. Don’t waste your time.

Reactions: NNCbama

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
In fairness a few of their fans on this website have a history of severely overhyping some of their prospects. I remember all the stuff about how Severson was a future Norris contender. Again I emphasis it was a small but vocal group of poster

Damon Severson is a very good top 4 DMan

thank you for your concern, though

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Crosby has never been electrifying. Ovechkin and McDavid? Sure. Teams tend to miss Subban after the fact. Ekholm and Josi are good Dmen but Norris caliber? You traded a guy who won one and was a finalist a number of times. Don't sell him short.

:facepalm: Subban has had game breaking ability in his time here, but to say he's the most electrifying player of an entire generation is just hyperbole. He was not very good for most of the year last year, that's not selling him short, it's being realistic.

Ekholm and Josi were both in the top 10 for Norris this year, and Josi has had multiple years in the top 10. I think you're underrating those two, especially if you think Subban is the same player he was when he won the Norris with Montreal.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ekholm was just voted 10th in Norris voting this past year. I don't think you realize how good he is, especially defensively.

Why the hell would we want Vatanen? He makes 4.8M, he's a LHD and he's worse than both Josi and Ekholm. We got what we wanted, cap space for Duchene and picks and prospects.

Vatanen is an rhd and plays a perfect game to compliment Ekholm. You'd still be able to get enough space for Duchene, maybe would have to shed one of the redundant Bonino/Smith. How far do you realistically see Predators going with Fabbro in the top 4 unless he pulls a Heiskanen?

I'm well aware of how good Ekholm is. Do you think he's better than any of Josi, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Burns, Suter, Weber, Doughty, Rielly, Klingberg, Subban, Parayko, Jones, OEL or Carlson? If so agree to disagree.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Have New Jersey retain on Vatanen's one year like Philly did with Gudas, or move on from one of Bonino/Jarnkrok/Smith/redundant bottom 6 forwards.

You really don't think having to rely on Fabbro/Hamhius/Weber/Irwin to make up half of the defense is going to hurt them significantly against deeper teams? May well make Duchene a one step forward-one step back type acquisition

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Have New Jersey retain on Vatanen's one year like Philly did with Gudas, or move on from one of Bonino/Jarnkrok/Smith/redundant bottom 6 forwards.

You really don't think having to rely on Fabbro/Hamhius/Weber/Irwin to make up half of the defense is going to hurt them significantly against deeper teams? May well make Duchene a one step forward-one step back type acquisition

What if NJ doesn't want to retain on Vatanen? We can't force them to. How many teams are willing to take Bonino and either not have us retain or give no salary in return? Jarnkrok only makes $2 million, not going to clear a ton of space by trading him. Smith is more than a bottom 6 player so we would have to get fair value in a trade on top of having to trade someone else to clear the requisite cap space.

So once again, we needed to clear cap space for Duchene. Subban at his salary was the easiest way to do it if we could get very little salary in return. Poile, knowing he had a top prospect who acquitted himself well in 10 games last year decided that the easiest way to accomplish what needed to be accomplished was trading his $9 million defenseman who played like a #3 defenseman last year and replacing him with a top prospect on his ELC was the easiest and best way to clear the cap space necessary to sign Duchene.

Will Fabbro have growing pains this year? Probably. Is he talented enough to replace maybe 75% of what Subban provided to the team at a tenth of the cost? Probably. Is that downgrade worth it to get Duchene? Yes.

Reactions: PredsHead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad