Confirmed with Link: [NSH/NJ] Subban (No salary retention) for Santini, Davies, 2019 2nd, 2020 2nd

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Actually the 2nd round pick from NJ was traded for 2 picks and used on Afanasyev and Alexander Campbell so now Campbell should be counted as an asset acquired for Subban. That being said this was a terrible trade. PK in addition to being a great player, brought the star power that the franchise was lacking

That's a really dumb take. This team is no longer the little unknown oddity that needed a Paul Kariya to get everyone's attention. Star Power means absolutely jack squat.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
His star power helped us become more of a mainstream team, but now that we have an expanded base I don't think we need "star power." Plus, I think Duchene picks up the slack on that front.

Horse piss. This team was "mainstream" before he got here. This team became what it is now on the basis of the Finals run, not PK Subbans personality. PK was part of that but it's not like he got us back there either of the next two seasons he was here.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Horse piss. This team was "mainstream" before he got here. This team became what it is now on the basis of the Finals run, not PK Subbans personality. PK was part of that but it's not like he got us back there either of the next two seasons he was here.

I say mainstream in the sense that we get about 10 games on NBC since the trade and the finals run, Subban certainly helped take our team there.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I say mainstream in the sense that we get about 10 games on NBC since the trade and the finals run, Subban certainly helped take our team there.

I would argue it's the finals run not PK that has driven this. PK was already traded before the TV schedule was announced for this year

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
That's a really dumb take. This team is no longer the little unknown oddity that needed a Paul Kariya to get everyone's attention. Star Power means absolutely jack squat.
Dude Pekka Rinne was leading the EA cover voting by 20000 one year and magically lost with 5 minutes remaining in the voting. PK was on the cover as a Predator,
Nashville is in the Winter Classic, we get several NBC games now, most of this is not possible without him bringing attention to the franchise. Star power may not mean a lot but it helped make Nashville a team with a national following.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I'd have to say the ASG really put Nashville on the map for the hockey world. That whole week was magical around the Bridge. Then the finals and a media magnet like PK? Yeah, they all served to push Nashville further up the recognition ladder. It's been awesome to see it happen.
I agree it wasn’t the only or even main thing but it certainly helped. Watching road games and seeing Predators jerseys in the stands is common now.

Reactions: bdub24

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Dude Pekka Rinne was leading the EA cover voting by 20000 one year and magically lost with 5 minutes remaining in the voting. PK was on the cover as a Predator,
Nashville is in the Winter Classic, we get several NBC games now, most of this is not possible without him bringing attention to the franchise. Star power may not mean a lot but it helped make Nashville a team with a national following.

We will just have to agree to disagree. What you attribute to PK, I attribute to the finals run, followed by the Presidents Trophy, and, as someone else mentioned, the amazing ASG experience here.

I'm trying to be civil but PK fanboys just chap my ass.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
We will just have to agree to disagree. What you attribute to PK, I attribute to the finals run, followed by the Presidents Trophy, and, as someone else mentioned, the amazing ASG experience here.

Yeah, IIRC, Bettman was talking about wanting to get the Preds into the WC during/right after the ASG and that was before PK was brought in.

He was certainly a building block for their popularity, but if the organization wasn't putting on a great show every night, and the team wasn't consistently winning, then having PK would have meant nothing.

Reactions: PredsV82

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
There's no doubt PK has been on a downward trend. He looks older than Weber. PK is also the type of guy who needs to change places every few years to keep interested and motivated.

We were lucky to get rid of that contract, anything the prospects do will be gravy.

Reactions: predhead1

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Wrong thread. But the post was actually about speed so still has some application here I guess!

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

I think it's a combination of everything. Subban may not have been the main reason we're more popular, but he did help.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
In general, committed/hardcore/fanatic/whatever you want to call them hockey fans don't really care about star power. Star power probably matters the least in the NHL compared to every other NA pro sports league. Legit the only player that has ever put on a Preds jersey that I was in awe of was Peter Forsberg. The only players in the league now who I think would make a difference in fan interest would be Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid. However, casual sports fans care about star power. In that sense I'm sure PK contributed some to rapid increase in popularity. How much did he really contribute though? Yes, he was a superstar player, a charsmatic personality playing in a hockey mecca. But how much did casual TN sports fans really pay attention to the MTL Canadiens?

In my experience Nashville sports fans care about winning. They have benefited from the Titans being irrelevant since the Mcnair days. The organization did a good job creating a "experience" vs. just a hockey game. Everything has come together real nice. They have bought themselves some goodwill, but knowing Nashville fans all it takes is 3-4 "Titans" like seasons and support would wane.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
ASG and Final run definitely aided in the Preds becoming a national name, but you cannot deny that having PK amplified everything and took it to another level.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
ASG and Final run definitely aided in the Preds becoming a national name, but you cannot deny that having PK amplified everything and took it to another level.
In certain markets maybe, I don't think in most markets they cared. Most of it was due to use being a good team and getting more games on tv and things like the all star game.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
In certain markets maybe, I don't think in most markets they cared. Most of it was due to use being a good team and getting more games on tv and things like the all star game.
I liked Subban; he was cool. But his main contribution to the Preds was not his PR or even his initial good play. It was dumping his salary to afford Duchene.Depends, I guess, on Duchene’s performance.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I liked Subban; he was cool. But his main contribution to the Preds was not his PR or even his initial good play. It was dumping his salary to afford Duchene.Depends, I guess, on Duchene’s performance.

I think you're selling him quite a bit short here. He has shortcomings like every other player, but PK was a key part of the best single season and best 3 year period we've ever had.

Reactions: LCPreds and NNCbama

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

this is a terrible take.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's too bad Subban got so bad, or was so affected by his injuries, or whatever it was, in his last season here. Because I think it seems like the recency bias of that abrupt dropoff has tarnished his legacy disproportionately. His first two seasons here he was probably our best overall skater. Not by any enormous gap, not inarguably, not for every stretch of games (esp. his first month or two here), but overall, all things considered, his play at both ends, his playoff elevations, I would say he averaged out as our best skater in those 2 calendar years. Which also happened to be our two most successful seasons ever, with the trip to the finals and the PT. Perhaps not entirely coincidentally. Matt Duchene has 8 years to see if he can accomplish as much. If he's our best skater in our two best seasons going forward, that'll be great. But I don't think it's going to be that easy a feat for him, let alone is it fait accompli after 11 games.

Anyway, given that Subban did drop off so precipitously last season, there's nobody who is against the change, of course. But it's still a little unfortunate if it imparts any element of revisionism to what Subban accomplished before that. Nevertheless, I also don't think Subban really needs to be singled out for the overall rise in franchise fortunes or anything. He was one of a cast of good players, and if anything I'd probably credit Poile for making the moves to assemble the cast, make the big and difficult changes he needed when he needed to (including both acquiring and then subsequently trading Subban), and establishing a robust and sustainable payroll structure as the key factor. Poile was the architect behind the team, and the wins followed from that, and the rise in fortunes followed accordingly. And the Subban departure and Duchene signing are just the next steps in Poile's ongoing streak of successes, identifying the right time to parlay his assets into a player who (hopefully anyway) is going to bring just what we needed when we needed it. So if I was going to single anybody out to credit, it'd be Poile. It took him long enough. But once he got on the roll that he's been on these last 6 ot 7 years or so, that's really where the credit is due. He isn't perfect and of course we all have our own nitpicks and pet peeves with some of the moves. But the overall body of work is what really brought this team to where it is now.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It's too bad Subban got so bad, or was so affected by his injuries, or whatever it was, in his last season here. Because I think it seems like the recency bias of that abrupt dropoff has tarnished his legacy disproportionately. His first two seasons here he was probably our best overall skater. Not by any enormous gap, not inarguably, not for every stretch of games (esp. his first month or two here), but overall, all things considered, his play at both ends, his playoff elevations, I would say he averaged out as our best skater in those 2 calendar years. Which also happened to be our two most successful seasons ever, with the trip to the finals and the PT.

Pretty much sums it up perfectly. Bolded is the most likely reason for most though there are other non-hockey reasons for some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad