Confirmed Trade: [NSH/MIN] Mikael Granlund for Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I only caught the end of the Nashville/Winnipeg game last night, but Granlund looked like himself. He set up some very good scoring chances, but no one was there to finish them. That might just be a case of the team getting used to it, because they can come out of nowhere sometimes. He's gotten a lot of assists on Dumba, Zucker and Parise goals because those guys are good at either pulling the trigger or keeping their sticks down and giving him a target near the net. If the powerplay guys especially can learn to expect it he'll start paying dividends quickly.

I saw him shooting more than he was recently in Minnesota, even if they were kind of awkward shots. At least he was trying, though. He tends to neutralizes himself when he starts refusing to shoot.

He also had the beginning of a nice zone entry at the end with the goalie pulled, but it looked like he was slashed pretty good (without a call). I hope we at least break even on the zone-entries with Fiala because that was definitely something we'll miss.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yah, besides being the best passer on the Wild, Granlund was also the best at zone entries. Handy for PP's. Was also the best puck handler.
He should make any shooter that he is on the same line with in NSH very happy.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I noticed him last night. I noticed when he fanned on a shot on a 2 on 1. That's not exactly a great thing to be noticed for, but at least he was on a 2 on 1 and had a chance to tie the game, even if he flubbed it. Maybe, in the future, he should be the passer in those situations instead of the shooter.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I noticed him last night. I noticed when he fanned on a shot on a 2 on 1. That's not exactly a great thing to be noticed for, but at least he was on a 2 on 1 and had a chance to tie the game, even if he flubbed it. Maybe, in the future, he should be the passer in those situations instead of the shooter.

Odd take

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Josi made him the pass, and based on his impression he some extended expectations considering the resulting shot :oops:.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I only caught the end of the Nashville/Winnipeg game last night, but Granlund looked like himself. He set up some very good scoring chances, but no one was there to finish them. That might just be a case of the team getting used to it, because they can come out of nowhere sometimes. He's gotten a lot of assists on Dumba, Zucker and Parise goals because those guys are good at either pulling the trigger or keeping their sticks down and giving him a target near the net. If the powerplay guys especially can learn to expect it he'll start paying dividends quickly.

I saw him shooting more than he was recently in Minnesota, even if they were kind of awkward shots. At least he was trying, though. He tends to neutralizes himself when he starts refusing to shoot.

He also had the beginning of a nice zone entry at the end with the goalie pulled, but it looked like he was slashed pretty good (without a call). I hope we at least break even on the zone-entries with Fiala because that was definitely something we'll miss.
All advanced stats say Fiala is better at zone entries than Granlund so I don’t think that should be much of a worry.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Good for you to watch the highlights.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As prep of a trade or just to showcase other players?

The whole team (apart from Marcus Foligno and Ryan Hartman relative time expectations) is playing like complete dogshit. Fiala included. Donato was scratched last game. Rask was scratched the first two. Fiala is scratched now. I’m sure others will be scratched going forward.

It’s an indictment on Fiala’s play so far to be sure, but that’s not to say he’s the only or even biggest issue with the team right now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The baseball term for players like Fiala is, "Million dollar arm, ten cent head."

Maybe he'll get it together, but it doesn't look promising. He fits right in in MN.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not a big fan of the scratch. I didn't see the Ottawa game so maybe that changes things, but Fiala and Zucker have been the only top-6 forwards on the team that have looked worth a damn overall to me.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not a big fan of the scratch. I didn't see the Ottawa game so maybe that changes things, but Fiala and Zucker have been the only top-6 forwards on the team that have looked worth a damn overall to me.

I think there are definitely other more deserving scratchees as well. But let’s be honest, Staal and Parise aren’t getting scratched. Rask has been surprisingly not a tire fire for these two games, Donato just sat. It’s probably just Fiala’s turn in the rotation.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think there are definitely other more deserving scratchees as well. But let’s be honest, Staal and Parise aren’t getting scratched. Rask has been surprisingly not a tire fire for these two games, Donato just sat. It’s probably just Fiala’s turn in the rotation.
Yeah and I guess I get it, but the idea that the younger guys are in a scratch rotation while Staal and Parise just need to "work through it" or whatever is irritating. Inevitable, but irritating.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah and I guess I get it, but the idea that the younger guys are in a scratch rotation while Staal and Parise just need to "work through it" or whatever is irritating. Inevitable, but irritating.

If I had my way, the lineup would be

Sokolov-Koivu-Fiala
Zucker-Kunin-Mayhew
Greenway-Eriksson Ek-Donato
Foligno-Rask-Hartman

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
The baseball term for players like Fiala is, "Million dollar arm, ten cent head."

Maybe he'll get it together, but it doesn't look promising. He fits right in in MN.

AAAA player … too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL. Mark Mancari is an old Sabre/Amerks example.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
AAAA player … too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL. Mark Mancari is an old Sabre/Amerks example.

I wouldn’t read too much into what that guy says. If a player isn’t a Selke or Norris level defender he’s apparently worthless.
Fiala has warts, but he’s certainly good enough for the NHL. The whole team has been bad so far, so he hasn’t had much support. Nashville fans like him, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt until he gets the chance to play on a good team.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Fiala's looked as bad, if not worse than everyone else.

Absolute turnover machine.

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad