Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Kyle Turris extends with Nashville (6 years, $6M AAV)

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Regardless of how or why, I'm glad he's locked up at a reasonable rate long term. Forsberg, RyJo, Bonino, Arvidsson, Jarnkrok and Turris are locked up long term so we should be straight for awhile up front and our top 4 defensemen are all locked up at least through 2019, and some beyond

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The sales tax in Ontario is 13%. I can guarantee you that Canadian income tax rates dwarf the rates in the USA, and specifically Nashville. I did a quick search and we are talking about a 7% difference in income tax.

Overall the tax difference will work out to about 10%

Plus check out the property prices for a 3500 sqft home in Ottawa vs. Nashville.

There's a chart right here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/137599911/

It doesn't take into account cost of living, and other costs.

But, there is a benefit to living in Ottawa in that athletes are paid in American dollars and prices in Ottawa are in Canadian dollars. Not sure about comparative costs of goods and services though.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Regardless of how or why, I'm glad he's locked up at a reasonable rate long term. Forsberg, RyJo, Bonino, Arvidsson, Jarnkrok and Turris are locked up long term so we should be straight for awhile up front and our top 4 defensemen are all locked up at least through 2019, and some beyond

It's a very fair deal.

Reactions: triggrman

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I keep reading Nashville fans talk about their 10.75% sales tax like it's a big thing.

Is it remarkable in the States or something?

-Calgary - 5%
-Edmonton - 5%
-Montreal - 14.975%
-Ottawa - 13%
-Toronto - 13%
-Vancouver - 12%
-Winnipeg - 13%

We also have provincial and federal income taxes.

It's not the only reason why Turris signed in Nashville but I can see why it might be a factor in why he would settle for fewer years.

It's one of the highest if not the highest sales tax in the U.S.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Its not the sales tax, its income tax, Nashville doesn't pay tax on the income they make, they pay sales tax on goods purchased.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Its not the sales tax, its income tax, Nashville doesn't pay tax on the income they make, they pay sales tax on goods purchased.

It's a sales tax because it's administered on point of sale.

Apparently they do not have a state income tax the way we do in Canada.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's a sales tax because it's administered on point of sale.

Apparently they do not have a state income tax the way we do in Canada.

That's what I said no tax on INCOME, (state), there is sales tax on goods.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I sense a bit of anger in that post. I made a legitimate point, I guess sens fans aren't ready to face that reality a short 2 years away.
That's the beauty of it though, in two years we can choose between Duchene or Brassard, assuming both want to come back. Losing Turris for futures/nothing this summer would have sucked more next year with only Brassard signed and likely no FA coming in equal to a 1b/2 C level. Now instead we gave up a 1st + 3rd + Bowers to ensure we have a good 1C-2C combo, and then we can sign one and see where the Brown/White/Batherson/Formenton are in two years time.

And we'll have money for EK no matter what assuming he's not looking to jump ship and can find someone else with 10mil cap space.

Acquiring Duchene and keeping Turris would have only been possible without Phaneuf/Ryan.

Reactions: NyQuil

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
It’s actually in our constitution now. No taxes on income of state residents. The sales tax actually raises more money because not only do residents pay it but visitors and tourists do also. Tourism is a major fundraiser for the state with Memphis, Nashville, and the Smokies. Sevier County alone brings in massive tax revenues for the state.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So Turris' contract has zero signing bonuses, zero trade protection. This is very good value for NSH. It either tells me that Turris was uninterested in staying in Ottawa so he was asking significantly more term and money from them (7-8 years 6.5M was the rumour), or that Dorion deliberately failed to engage in a proper negotiation because he wanted Duchene this entire time (and couldn't get him if he extended Turris), or a little bit of both.

Someone pointed this out to me yesterday, but it's very interesting that the Predators seemingly do not give out trade protection. Pekka Rinne is the only player they have signed with it. That's pretty badass to pull off.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
It’s actually in our constitution now. No taxes on income of state residents. The sales tax actually raises more money because not only do residents pay it but visitors and tourists do also. Tourism is a major fundraiser for the state with Memphis, Nashville, and the Smokies. Sevier County alone brings in massive tax revenues for the state.

Lucky Predators.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Fair deal for both sides. 50-60 point, second line center. Pay him until he's only 35, just before he gets too old. Ottawa will end up overpaying Duchene for virtually the same production that Turris brings. Not sure why they made that trade. Duchene is speedier, but Turris is smarter and better at faceoffs.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Fair deal for both sides. 50-60 point, second line center. Pay him until he's only 35, just before he gets too old. Ottawa will end up overpaying Duchene for virtually the same production that Turris brings. Not sure why they made that trade. Duchene is speedier, but Turris is smarter and better at faceoffs.

Not even close.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

2017-18 Season:
Duchene: 56.5% (20th in league)
Turris: 61.1% (4th in league)

2016-17 Season:
Duchene: 62.6% (1st in league)
Turris: 53.1% (28th in league)

2015-16 Season:
Duchene: 57.9% (4th in league)
Turris: 51.3% (44th in league)

2014-15 Season:
Duchene: 52.2% (32nd in league)
Turris: 50.1% (55th in league)

I guess if you want to use a 15 game sample size, sure Turris is better than Duchene at faceoffs. But if you actually use the past 3 seasons then Turris is better at losing faceoffs compared to Duchene.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
2017-18 Season:

2016-17 Season:

2015-16 Season:

2014-15 Season:

I guess if you want to use a 15 game sample size, sure Turris is better than Duchene at faceoffs. But if you actually use the past 3 seasons then Turris is better at losing faceoffs compared to Duchene.

Also, Duchene has better speed and scoring touch. Therefore, I say Duchene is better, in overall.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
2017-18 Season:

2016-17 Season:

2015-16 Season:

2014-15 Season:

Thanks for posting the stats. I was really surprised, I didn’t know Duchene was that good in the dot. However, I still don’t think theres a big difference between the two in terms of overall. Both are good second line centres on a contender, and I’d rather take Turris because he’s cheaper and brings pretty much the same production as Duchene. I still think Turris is the smarter player.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
To think David Poile was offered the GM job with my team (Leafs)
I know the team is finally going in the right direction with Lou and Shanahan after years of mismanagement but I wonder how much better we might be if David had accepted.

Congrats Nashville and best of luck and even though I'm supposed to hate the Sens I can't. So best of luck with Duchene.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I guess they're not re-signing Duchene then
Would you ??if you cant resign EK then what is the point in resigning Duchene??The Isles dont have anything signed past this season either.Meaning ....If the cant resign JT then they will be massive sellers at the TD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad