Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Kyle Turris extends with Nashville (6 years, $6M AAV)

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
To think David Poile was offered the GM job with my team (Leafs)
I know the team is finally going in the right direction with Lou and Shanahan after years of mismanagement but I wonder how much better we might be if David had accepted.

Congrats Nashville and best of luck and even though I'm supposed to hate the Sens I can't. So best of luck with Duchene.

He wouldn't have lasted nearly as long there as he did with a new team.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Good deal for the Preds, Reportedly Turris was wanting more sounds like he was willing to take less in Nashville believe to have wanted more to stay in Ottawa.
The other factor is that Duchene's contract ends at the same time as Karlsson's; a Turris extension removes cap flexibility for re-signing Karlsson.

Reactions: topshelf15

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I think they meant next year but it was mentioned on local radio 102.5 the game.

Nope, next year they'll have 9 million in cap space with Saros and Salomaki as RFAs and Hartnell, Bitetto, Weber, Irwin and McLeod as UFAS. So no one major to re-sign.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Nashville is complete. Very good/fair deal for both sides.

They now have the best top 4 in the league, top notch centre depth, some very talented wingers, and a great goalie.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
At the time this was thought of as being a great contract, but only a year into it, it looks like one of the worst in the league. 5 more years left at $6 million per, to play on the fourth line. Yikes.

Reactions: jetsforever

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
At the time this was thought of as being a great contract, but only a year into it, it looks like one of the worst in the league. 5 more years left at $6 million per, to play on the fourth line. Yikes.

The Sens are awful and the Duchene trade remains a disaster but they don't look so crazy not wanting to sign Turris long term anymore.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
He was good after the trade. Hurt last year and has been good again this year despite having line mates who aren't good.
His usage thus far this year has really disappointed me. He's been pretty good but he's being sandbagged with 4 line duties and 4th line quality linemates. You would think they'd atleast try to boost his trade value.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
His usage thus far this year has really disappointed me. He's been pretty good but he's being sandbagged with 4 line duties and 4th line quality linemates. You would think they'd atleast try to boost his trade value.
He got more minutes last night finally and some 2nd unit PP time. That's really what he needs in order to produce. 10 minutes and no PP time = a waste of the cap space. But if they can find a way to play him 14-16 mins with a little bit of PP time he can produce. Last night the Duchene line got a bit of a night off though so it's hard to say if this is going to be sustainable or if things will go back to the way they were in previous games for Turris.

Overall he has not been worth the contract or the trade, I'd say. He was decent in Year 1, but absolutely vanished in the playoffs. Then last year was a wash with his injuries, he might as well not have played for all the difference he made. This year he looks a lot better so far - but has been saddled until last night with essentially a 4th line role.

Overall this doesn't add up to a lot of ROI value for the Preds. But there's nothing overall wrong with him as a player. We just don't exactly need him. I think at just a shade lower salary, like $5M, say, he'd be an "adequate" 2nd line center for any team that needed one. I think he's low risk - as long as you have the role and linemates for him.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

He dealt with MAJOR injury issues last season, anybody would struggle playing with a broken foot twice!
Turris has always been a 50 point plus player, no reason to believe he still is not after ONE, I repeat, ONE injury riddled bad season he wants to put in his rearview mirror. He has 4 points in 6 games this season and looks like his old self once again, love the centre depth we have in Nashville.

$6 million for a 50-55 point centre is one of the worst contracts in the league? Yikes is right...

You realize how much Kevin Hayes makes and has never even potted 50 points ever? lol

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This contract is still bad at its worst and meh at its best but Turris has been good this year so far especially considering the absolute trash linemates we're giving him. :laugh:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not sure the Kevin Hayes contract is exactly a great selling point for Turris either. I mean, I would be at least a little disappointed if I had either one of them on those contracts as my #2 center. They are both players who I think have some holes in their game and really need a bit of utilization-coddling to get the most out of them.

But sometimes teams do get that stuck. Nashville certainly was when we made the trade to get Turris. Our center ice position was an absolute wasteland and Poile had to take some extreme measures to try to fix it - starting with the Johansen trade, the Bonino signing, the Turris trade. He fixed it. And then realized it still wasn't quite good enough to get the team over the hump, so he had to sign Duchene too to put the final improvement in place.

Hayes and Turris are "adequate" filler players I'd say. Sometimes you need them, and they'll do just fine in a pinch. They can play 2C without being embarrassing. But if you have them, you'll always be left wanting just a little more than what they can do. So having them on those big contracts eventually becomes a bit of a regret - or at least you HOPE it does, because that means your team finally did get somebody better. That's basically where Nashville is at now. We finally got somebody better. It would have been nice to have Turris for, say, 3 years at that $6M. 6 years was too much. I won't be surprised if it doesn't turn out similarly for Hayes.

But on the bright side for any prospective Turris shoppers... some of that term is already getting used up by the Preds already. If you're in the spot we were in of needing that "adequate" 2C filler, you can have him now with just 4 years left, instead of going out and signing the next guy like them to a 6- or 7-year term!

Reactions: maplepred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad