Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Kyle Turris extends with Nashville (6 years, $6M AAV)

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Right now there's no issue with Turris and his contract. He's playing well, provides insurance when injuries occur in the top-6 and the Preds still have some wiggle room under the cap.

Looking ahead, they probably have to trade him in the offseason with Josi, Granlund and Smith needing new contracts and our third pair defensemen expiring, but for now Turris is fine right where he is.

Reactions: preds1 and BHD

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure the Kevin Hayes contract is exactly a great selling point for Turris either. I mean, I would be at least a little disappointed if I had either one of them on those contracts as my #2 center. They are both players who I think have some holes in their game and really need a bit of utilization-coddling to get the most out of them.

But sometimes teams do get that stuck. Nashville certainly was when we made the trade to get Turris. Our center ice position was an absolute wasteland and Poile had to take some extreme measures to try to fix it - starting with the Johansen trade, the Bonino signing, the Turris trade. He fixed it. And then realized it still wasn't quite good enough to get the team over the hump, so he had to sign Duchene too to put the final improvement in place.

Hayes and Turris are "adequate" filler players I'd say. Sometimes you need them, and they'll do just fine in a pinch. They can play 2C without being embarrassing. But if you have them, you'll always be left wanting just a little more than what they can do. So having them on those big contracts eventually becomes a bit of a regret - or at least you HOPE it does, because that means your team finally did get somebody better. That's basically where Nashville is at now. We finally got somebody better. It would have been nice to have Turris for, say, 3 years at that $6M. 6 years was too much. I won't be surprised if it doesn't turn out similarly for Hayes.

But on the bright side for any prospective Turris shoppers... some of that term is already getting used up by the Preds already. If you're in the spot we were in of needing that "adequate" 2C filler, you can have him now with just 4 years left, instead of going out and signing the next guy like them to a 6- or 7-year term!

Might need to take an ugly contract back but I see a few teams that could probably use Turris;

NYI
Habs
CBJ
Stars (C depth looks bad, Hintz is better at wing IMO)
Ducks
Sharks

Now cap etc can make it kind of an impossibility or if they don't have a contract that is palatable for Nashville to take back then it becomes a moot point but Turris has had a decent start to the season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Right now there's no issue with Turris and his contract. He's playing well, provides insurance when injuries occur in the top-6 and the Preds still have some wiggle room under the cap.

Looking ahead, they probably have to trade him in the offseason with Josi, Granlund and Smith needing new contracts and our third pair defensemen expiring, but for now Turris is fine right where he is.
The catch, however, is that teams aren't often inclined to trade for big contracts in the off-season. There's a little bit of activity around the draft sometimes. But teams have their eyes on the free agent market, and they increasingly have their own internal payroll pressures to deal with.

So while it might be ideal to just hold onto Turris as an insurance policy in the current snapshot of this season where his contract doesn't hurt us and we have ample wiggle room... I think it also behooves the team to at least keep an ear open for any opportunities that come up to move him during the season. They might not come up. But if they do... it might be the only chance the Preds realistically get to move him. So they'll have to balance any such opportunity, alongside the value Turris provides to the team this season, and also alongside the value of getting out of the contract for the longer term. It's not as easy as saying we'll just magically manage to trade him in the off-season, unfortunately. If it was, everybody would want to keep him until then of course.

Reactions: Kurtz

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think most likely the Preds will trade Turris for another big contract with some salary retention to give them a little more room...or maybe a buyout

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Regarding Turris, What happened to this guy? Since going to TN his numbers look awful. More to it?

Regardless, I see no chance that the Isles trade for him. Barzal needs to get paid soon and he’s the 1C. Nelson is the 2C and two years or so younger than Kyle at the same 6$MM/. We have Casey Cizikas for two more years at least. He’s our engine and, at 20 goals last year, a functional 3C. He doesn’t have to score 20 to be very valuable between his wingers. Currently we also have D. Brassard making $1.2mm for one year to round out our C list (even if people call him our 3C). Low risk gamble. Finally, one of our best prospects is a big Finn who took to C like a natural over the last 18 months. Gotta make room for him next year.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
One move I think that could make sense would be to move Turris to Columbus for one of their defenseman. Columbus has the cap space to accommodate him both immediately and over the length of his contract and could use a 2C. We could use a defenseman to put on our bottom pair and Columbus has an overabundance of those as well. I think it could be a good situation for Turris as well since he has played very well to start the season and would give him the opportunity to get more minutes.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
His numbers in Nashville last year were terrible, thanks in large part to injuries. His numbers the year prior were just fine. And he has 4 points in 6 games this year while playing on the 4th line with mostly bad linemates.
Fair point regarding his numbers from 2 years ago. They were pretty good.
He was 28 then, some would point out. Even if he’s a nice player now at 30, and starts the season strong, how do you think other GMs view the contract term/$ going forward?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Trade him for little
Do you mean little-to-no-return... or Bryan Little? :dunno:

If the latter... the reason we're even talking about trading Turris is that we have 4 other centers. No need to bring in a different one... especially one who's a couple years older and doesn't provide any significant cap savings.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Do you mean little-to-no-return... or Bryan Little? :dunno:

If the latter... the reason we're even talking about trading Turris is that we have 4 other centers. No need to bring in a different one... especially one who's a couple years older and doesn't provide any significant cap savings.
I meant Bryan Little lol.

I was thinking along the lines of the Neal/Lucic trade.

If Little plays better on the predators then they can trade him for more, same can be said for Tigris.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I meant Bryan Little lol.

I was thinking along the lines of the Neal/Lucic trade.

If Little plays better on the predators then they can trade him for more, same can be said for Tigris.

Why would we trade Turris just to hope Little plays better than Turris so that we can trade him for more, when Turris has been fine since coming back?

Seems unnecessary and I don't think the Lucic/Neal thing is a comparable anymore.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I think most likely the Preds will trade Turris for another big contract with some salary retention to give them a little more room...or maybe a buyout

He's playing well. If he keeps playing well, there's no reason to trade him for anything other than good value and certainly no reason to buy him out.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Fair point regarding his numbers from 2 years ago. They were pretty good.
He was 28 then, some would point out. Even if he’s a nice player now at 30, and starts the season strong, how do you think other GMs view the contract term/$ going forward?

I don't care what GMs might think. I was just correcting you regarding his performance in Nashville, and answering your question about what happened (injuries).

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I'm not sure the Kevin Hayes contract is exactly a great selling point for Turris either. I mean, I would be at least a little disappointed if I had either one of them on those contracts as my #2 center. They are both players who I think have some holes in their game and really need a bit of utilization-coddling to get the most out of them.

But sometimes teams do get that stuck. Nashville certainly was when we made the trade to get Turris. Our center ice position was an absolute wasteland and Poile had to take some extreme measures to try to fix it - starting with the Johansen trade, the Bonino signing, the Turris trade. He fixed it. And then realized it still wasn't quite good enough to get the team over the hump, so he had to sign Duchene too to put the final improvement in place.

Hayes and Turris are "adequate" filler players I'd say. Sometimes you need them, and they'll do just fine in a pinch. They can play 2C without being embarrassing. But if you have them, you'll always be left wanting just a little more than what they can do. So having them on those big contracts eventually becomes a bit of a regret - or at least you HOPE it does, because that means your team finally did get somebody better. That's basically where Nashville is at now. We finally got somebody better. It would have been nice to have Turris for, say, 3 years at that $6M. 6 years was too much. I won't be surprised if it doesn't turn out similarly for Hayes.

But on the bright side for any prospective Turris shoppers... some of that term is already getting used up by the Preds already. If you're in the spot we were in of needing that "adequate" 2C filler, you can have him now with just 4 years left, instead of going out and signing the next guy like them to a 6- or 7-year term!

Only reason I use Hayes as example is because he has never been better than turris except for last season, and he got over $7 million a year.

I am really hating all of the turris hate and calling him a cap dump or that we may buy him out. I admit, he was bad last year and a lot of us were down on him. But we realize now it was because he was destroyed physically by major injuries. Now teams think they can get him for pennies on the dollar because he’s awful now?

No, he’s doing very well this season as he usually always does minus last year with injuries. He even did very well for team Canada in the offseason tournament.

We will keep Kyle, we probably don’t bring back Craig smith to keep Kyle, and sign granny and josi. Done deal.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Only reason I use Hayes as example is because he has never been better than turris except for last season, and he got over $7 million a year.

And because you wanted everyone to know you can't add 42 and 13 together.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Turris (5 years 6M$) for 2nd 2020 + Alzner (3 years :4.7M$)
I don't think there is any trade which contains a significant contract dump component coming back which is going to work for us. It's a misread of our situation.

We have 5 centers right now and are paying them a combined AAV of almost $30M. That's just an inefficient allocation of our cap space towards one position. We don't have enough minutes on the ice to go around. But they're all good players and all competent in their roles. And we're not actually stuck on the cap or anything. We can easily afford to keep them all. It just looks a little funny and isn't necessarily the best for any of them. But there's no actual pressure on us to make any move.

I want to trade Turris. I'm probably the leading Preds board cheerleader for trading Turris. But even I don't have any appetite whatsoever for taking a cap dump back for him. He's simply a better player than that.

I would definitely entertain taking back a single lesser player on an expiring deal who actually filled a need for our team, however. No dumps with term. But an impending UFA bottom pair D would interest me. Trevor Daley was mentioned somewhere. Before the season and the clarification of his health status, Zach Bogosian was mentioned. Those are not great returns. But our bottom pair D could use some bolstering this season. I want something that actually helps our team. And if that's not on the table, fair enough, Turris is playing well and looking good for us, we can continue to rotate him around and hold onto him as an insurance policy against injuries.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad