Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Kyle Turris extends with Nashville (6 years, $6M AAV)

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
You're right, it isn't about a small market having an advantage, it's about a team based in a tax haven.

No taxes vs high taxes is certainly not fair in a cap regulated league.

No matter how you break it down, it's a fact and facts are hardly debatable.

Except your facts are still faulty. There is not "No taxes". There is just no state income taxes and that's only for the 41 home games he plays.

What are taxes like in Nashville?

Maybe Turris wanted more money out of the sens?

Tennessee has no state income tax.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Central just got scarier, but at least Colorado should slow down.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
If he had signed this contract in Ottawa he would have made 4.8 million dollars less.

Did you take into account the amount of games he will be playing in various states and cities, the taxes on those duty days, and how long it may take him to actually move to Tennessee? What about an estimate on what he will pay in Tennessee's regressive, and high, sales tax?

If we're going to put so much stock in taxes to show why it was easier for Nashville to sign him than Ottawa, despite the remark from the owner about wanting no part of the contract he ended up signing, we might a we'll go really in depth with it, right?

Reactions: FierceFalcon

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I assume Bonino is now the 3rd line centre. While Jankrok would obviously be a great 4th line centre is there going to be enough ice time for him there?

I think this move allows Nashville to have guys like Jarnkrok and Sissons concentrate on their 5-on-5 minutes and heavy penalty kill minutes, which should provide a decent amount of TOI for both guys considering how undisciplined the Preds have been so far this season.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
You're right, it isn't about a small market having an advantage, it's about a team based in a tax haven.

I'd be curious to know the stance people who talk about the uneven playing field because of taxes take on revenue sharing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ottawa got fleeced so bad. I don't know how any manager could pull this deal. It was cheaper to use him as an own rental and just let him walk.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN

There are plenty of market discrepancies based on venue. Part of the appeal of TN is its taxes. You cannot separate one from the other.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

Can't help that our state is well run with balance budgets and doesn't need a state income tax. Big part of the reason we stayed here.

Good Job Poile.
This deal
Arvi's undermarket extention
Johansens (small) undermarket extension

Go ahead and engrave Poile's name on GM of the Year again

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Nashville got him at this price because there's no state tax in Nashville. If he signed this in Ottawa he would be taking home 3.5 million after taxes.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nashville always had high end D . Now they are solid down the middle . They are the team to beat in the West . I said this all summer and now adding Turris , look out Pens

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
for those complaining about taxes, the difference is $846,015

http://gavingroup.ca/personal-income-tax-rates-in-nhl-cities/

upload_2017-11-6_8-9-2.png

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
$6,000,000 per year = $61,732.53 per week after taxes in Nashville.
$7,200,000 per year = $61,648.86 per week after taxes in Ottawa.

If they had paid him $6,000,000 per year, Turris would literally take home LESS money over 7 years in Ottawa, than 6 in Nashville. So I think we can assume Turris singed for less on either term, cap hit, or both in Nashville.
Or if the paid him 7.2 million he would of taken home less then the 6 million he getting in Nashville . 20% is a big difference when a career of a player is short . I would like to think if I made it to the pros I would have taken less to stay in Canada but the fact is you need to look after your Family above all else

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Still just under 15% . If a player makes say 70 million in his career losing 15% hurts especially if you have 3 or 4 kids you want to set up for life
But it's not the millions everyone is making it out to be.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
But it's not the millions everyone is making it out to be.
And people are not taking into account that TN has one of, if not THE highest sales tax rates in America at just under 10%. Now if you don't plan on spending much money in TN on goods and services then I guess it is a break. But there is more to players wanting to sign long term in Nashville (like a consistent Cup contending team and the cost of and quality of living in Nashville) than just the taxes.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
And people are not taking into account that TN has one of, if not THE highest sales tax rates in America at just under 10%. Now if you don't plan on spending much money in TN on goods and services then I guess it is a break. But there is more to players wanting to sign long term in Nashville (like a consistent Cup contending team and the cost of and quality of living in Nashville) than just the taxes.

Yeah i dont see how people miss this. Money could be a factor, but it's doubtful its the sole reason. UFAs arent flocking to Tampa, Dallas or Nashville, and even when they do, they generally get overpaid - Yandle, Callahan, etc.

People need to realize that playing on a team with a legitimate chance of winning is a selling point. Quality of Life is a selling point. Take Home pay is a selling point. Additional Marketing Income is a selling point. If we want to adjust one, we've got to adjust them all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enoch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad