Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Kyle Turris extends with Nashville (6 years, $6M AAV)

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Marketing opportunities are overrated when it comes to hockey. This isn't basketball where players get 9-figure endorsement deals, and marketing is outside of the realm of relevance when it comes to the cap situations of teams.

The tax breaks one gets in Nashville/Tampa/Dallas are why these teams are all loaded contenders with good cap situations and can re-tool over 1 off-season to become serious contenders out of the blue.

Meanwhile, these are some of the smallest fanbases in the league. It's infuriating. Im mot saying remove the cap, just make it fair.

Yeah it's just been so incredibly easy for Nashville this entire time. It has nothing to do with the team being one of the best-run teams in the league over the past ten years. /sarcasm

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Nashville got better, as a Blues fan I was hoping for Turris before the Schenn trade. Now I have to put up with playing against him for 6 years. ..

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
He did not say that. He said something like "even if Dorion wanted to do the deal...." There was no implication that Dorion wanted to re-sign Turris.
I was slightly distracted during intermission so don't know what he said exactly on the management side but I do recall a quote along the lines of "Melnyk wants nonpart of that contract". Could just have been me but the panel really seemed to be indicating melnyk was being particularly cheap on this item

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I was slightly distracted during intermission so don't know what he said exactly on the management side but I do recall a quote along the lines of "Melnyk wants nonpart of that contract". Could just have been me but the panel really seemed to be indicating melnyk was being particularly cheap on this item

"Highly unlikely, I think everybody for the most part agrees that the market place for Kyle Turris is in the 6 or 6.5M ball park, and Turris wants a minimum of 7 or 8 years. Even if Dorion liked those numbers, it appears that he does not have the support of his ownership. Eugene Melnyk does not appear to be in any hurry to sign him to that contract. (Other teams trading for Turris) would have to negotiate an extension, but those numbers would not scare of (those other teams) but they scare off Ottawa."

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Nash gets a #2 center and gives up almost nothing to get him fantastic move
I think Girard has a decent chance to help Colorado for years to come but he was expendable talent on the Preds much like Seth Jones was. Not only does Poile make big trades, he seems to have a knack for win-win trades for both teams. (Forsberg and Erat notwithstanding). Very very excited as a Preds fan. Tough losing Girard but I'll take it.

Reactions: SouthNash

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sens had to do this trade. Mark Stone is an RFA this year, Cody Ceci IS RFA this year, Brassard UFA after next year, Karlsson UFA after next year and now Duchene is an UFA after next year. Simply not enough money to go around. Not sure Sens fan base would have been happy with anything less than an player of Duchene's calibre. Will miss Turris super high hockey iq and clutch in playoffs. Nashville you are getting a good one.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Marketing opportunities are overrated when it comes to hockey. This isn't basketball where players get 9-figure endorsement deals, and marketing is outside of the realm of relevance when it comes to the cap situations of teams.

The tax breaks one gets in Nashville/Tampa/Dallas are why these teams are all loaded contenders with good cap situations and can re-tool over 1 off-season to become serious contenders out of the blue.

Meanwhile, these are some of the smallest fanbases in the league. It's infuriating. Im mot saying remove the cap, just make it fair.
Please name the big name free agents that signed with Nashville due to the taxes? Meanwhile we were at the top of all "no trade" lists and lost Ryan Suter and a few others to free agency. Plus the taxes are more even than people think Turris pays both Canadian and US taxes and gets to deduct state/city taxes paid in other places from the final tax bill. He is taxed around 40% no matter what. plus his US money had more buying power in Ottawa. His 6 million was worth 7.66 million in Ottawa. I am so sick of the whining about "Tax advantage" while Free agency day is nothing but a huge disappointment for me every year.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Very interested to see both the salary structure and trade protection in this deal.

Sens team policy is to only offer 10 team no trade lists. Ryan has a NMC, but it only relates to placement in the minors. So if Turris received a NMC, that's another tick in why the salary might be lower than expected.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Very interested to see both the salary structure and trade protection in this deal.

Sens team policy is to only offer 10 team no trade lists. Ryan has a NMC, but it only relates to placement in the minors. So if Turris received a NMC, that's another tick in why the salary might be lower than expected.

Poile doesn't give out trade protection very often at all. Rinne is the only player on the Preds signed by Poile that has any trade protection. Johansen didnt get anything, neither did Forsberg/Arvidsson/Josi/Ekholm etc.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Wolves,

You are speaking to a Nashville Predators fan. Go cry yourself a river somewhere else. Give me a break. The Predators have literally signed zero players out from underneath any teams, ever, since the teams inception.

This is a unique opportunity, but your angst is overstated.

Your management valued Duchene, and made a move for him, for better or worse. This isn't about a small market having some unbelievable advantage over other markets.

You're right, it isn't about a small market having an advantage, it's about a team based in a tax haven.

No taxes vs high taxes is certainly not fair in a cap regulated league.

No matter how you break it down, it's a fact and facts are hardly debatable.

Reactions: DaNaultinus

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I assume Bonino is now the 3rd line centre. While Jankrok would obviously be a great 4th line centre is there going to be enough ice time for him there?
Well, Bonino's injured, so he won't be a 2C or 3C for some time. However, once he recovers, he'll probably be relegated to 3C; Jarnkrok to 4C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad