Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Kyle Turris extends with Nashville (6 years, $6M AAV)

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
But but but - you told me I was having a fan fantasy.

To be fair, I did say until a trade of this ilk went down.

I wanted to see it before I believed it.

It will be interesting to see if this has leaguewide ramifications moving forward or if this is a one off.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Last hour has been like:

latest

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How was Ottawa not willing to do this....that is so reasonable.
Agreed. Turris is a 2007 draft pick. He was going UFA in 2018 at age 29. 6 years is perfect to take him to 35 from the Preds POV.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good deal for the Preds, Reportedly Turris was wanting more sounds like he was willing to take less in Nashville believe to have wanted more to stay in Ottawa.
Well, there is the tax difference between Nashville and Ottawa. So, that can account for some of the difference.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Will miss Turris. Great 1b C that was liked by the fan base. Responsible with the puck, very clutch, able to play above his role. Doesn't ever realyl go on cold streaks either and decent in the SO.

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Ottawa should've just extended him if it was this, that's reasonable, he's worth it imo, why risk screwing up what was working.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Nashville has no income tax for 41 home games. Money means more. Cost of living in TN is also vastly different FWIW.

As a Predators fan, I'm ecstatic to see the way this center corps has been rebuilt. Just. Wow.

Reactions: SouthNash

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
$6,000,000 per year = $61,732.53 per week after taxes in Nashville.
$7,200,000 per year = $61,648.86 per week after taxes in Ottawa.

If they had paid him $6,000,000 per year, Turris would literally take home LESS money over 7 years in Ottawa, than 6 in Nashville. So I think we can assume Turris singed for less on either term, cap hit, or both in Nashville.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
People here who are criticizing Ottawa for "not being willing to match this" are completely naive and missing the point.

This is an unfair league that heavily favours the southern low-tax markets. The NHL cap desperately needs a tax formula implemented, because most teams would not have been able to get Turris at 6 x 6, or Arvidsson at the deal he got this summer.

You can't whine about the bigger northern markets with bigger fanbases having an unfair advantage in a no-cap or high-cap league, then be okay with the way it works right now, where the southern "small hockey markets" have a ridiculous tax advantage.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Do people still not consider the tax situation between cities? It may be the biggest factor in the discrepancy of contracts. Ottawa has one of the highest taxes in the entire NHL behind I think just Montréal whereas Nashville is tied for the best. To make the same take home pay, Turris likely would’ve needed to earn roughly 7.1M in Ottawa to make it close. Does Turris at $7.1M still look good if he had re-signed with the Sens?

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
A touch high, but certainly nothing that will hurt them. Great player.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
People here who are criticizing Ottawa for "not being willing to match this" are completely naive and missing the point.

This is an unfair league that heavily favours the southern low-tax markets. The NHL cap desperately needs a tax formula implemented, because most teams would not have been able to get Turris at 6 x 6, or Arvidsson at the deal he got this summer.

You can't whine about the bigger northern markets with bigger fanbases having an unfair advantage in a no-cap or high-cap league, then be okay with the way it works right now, where the southern "small hockey markets" have a ridiculous tax advantage.

Bigger markets pay bigger taxes, but they have bigger marketing opportunities.

Nashville is a unique opportunity right now of low taxes and booming city of popularity. Perfect timing for David Poile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad