Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Eeli Tolvanen signs extension with the Predators (3 years, $1.45M AAV)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting deal. Kinda feels like trying to replicate the Jarnkrok deal in a sense. Where the player agreed to a low number for multiple years, for some reason. Not sure i believe in Tolvanen as much as a "utility at that price, no matter what" sort of role player. But he also does still have a slightly higher "ceiling" as a goal-scorer. The Jarnkrok thing was just immediately a steal, because it was pretty clear $2M was value even at his relative "floor". Tolvanen's "floor" is a lot lower...but that's the trade-off. Just kind of surprising he/his agent opted to agree to a 3 year term, if they really think he can put up the sort of numbers that'd easily net him a lot more than $1.45M per year. Especially considering his pedigree.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
These kinds of contracts make me wonder why teams do not do more offer sheets, 3 years at that salary is zero risk and huge upside. Tolvanen's style was not very suitable for the NHL but I have always thought he looks like a pretty smart player who can adapt to it.

Actually it looks like he is not even eligible for offer sheets yet.

Last edited:

Buffalo Preds

Jun 18, 2013
Buffalo, NY
He needs to start shooting more in NA. That shot is still pretty darn good, as is the release.

He needs to be in a better position to shoot, honestly. There are several weak spots in his game, though most are fixable with experience and coaching. I think he tends to drift inside well-defended space too much when the Preds are attacking. But when he does get an open look, his shot is absolutely first rate. You can teach positioning and reading the game, but you either are a great shooter or you are not, and above all else, Tolvanen can shoot.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
didn't he go out of his way to praise the entire nashville organization for helping him develop
properly? feel like i saw that in one of his interviews. if so, that could be part of him deciding
to take a very team friendly deal. will be fun to watch him keep firing on the PP, that's for sure.

Reactions: hido

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Hasn't Tolvanen regress since his draft +1? Haven't been keeping track recently

No, he was in the running for the rookie goal scoring title despite playing 10+ games less than most of the guys in front of him,
plus he was defensively sound.

That year after his big scoring explosion in the KHL, his coach in the AHL told him to focus more on his defense and everybody lambasted him for not scoring. Now he can score and play defensively.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
No, he was in the running for the rookie goal scoring title despite playing 10+ games less than most of the guys in front of him,
plus he was defensively sound.

That year after his big scoring explosion in the KHL, his coach in the AHL told him to focus more on his defense and everybody lambasted him for not scoring. Now he can score and play defensively.

Yeah he's basically the NHL's version of a 3 and D player lol. He bombs shots from the circles and has a strong defensive impact

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hasn't Tolvanen regress since his draft +1? Haven't been keeping track recently
I think people need to look at that year as an anomaly, not as part of any progression/regression trend. Nobody thought in his draft year that he'd be that player. Then for some reason that year went magically. But then got back on his normal progression path. Where he's at right now lines up pretty well with being the #30 overall pick. 2018 was just a weird outlier.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Should fire his agent. Tolvanen has been on an entry level since 2018-2019 making a small amount in the AHL. 3 years is too long on term for Tolvanen agreeing to 1.45. Great for the Preds though. Even if his production pace over 82 drops for the next 3 years, this is still a great deal for Preds.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tolvanen has a short NHL record but currently ~0.5 ppg. If he becomes a full timer and maintains that, this is a steal. If he becomes a full times and that production cuts in half but he isn't a liability on the ice, this is still a fair deal. I see this only being bad if he regresses majorly.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Tolvanen has a short NHL record but currently ~0.5 ppg. If he becomes a full timer and maintains that, this is a steal. If he becomes a full times and that production cuts in half but he isn't a liability on the ice, this is still a fair deal. I see this only being bad if he regresses majorly.

I'm so jealous, Montreal just signed Joel Armia for 4 years, 3.4M :laugh:
I like what Armia brings, but he's a 30 pts slow as molasse player who's 28.

What a deal for the Preds, even in the absoluste worst scenario, if Tolvanen spent his entire contract in the AHL it's not even a huge loss.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
What does Barkov have to do with it?

Well Barkov is a Finnish player as well and in my opinion the best Finnish player in the NHL and much better than Kotkaniemi and Barkov would still lose in salary to Kotkaniemi so yeah. Both are centers as well.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Well Barkov is a Finnish player as well and in my opinion the best Finnish player in the NHL and much better than Kotkaniemi and Barkov would still lose in salary to Kotkaniemi so yeah. Both are centers as well.

Barkov’s contract is irrelevant. Signed years ago in a different climate, when he was coming off of injury plagued ELC years and wasn’t yet the 90+ point player he is now. Florida got lucky on that deal and if it were up tomorrow we all know he’d be a $10M player if not more. Teams can try to use contracts like that as comparables all they want but nobody is falling for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad