Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Eeli Tolvanen signs extension with the Predators (3 years, $1.45M AAV)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I could understand this as a 1 year deal for Tolvanen. I don't get 3 years, but that should be a fantastic deal for the Preds.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I’m still impressed Poile is able to convince players to take this type of deal, especially since Nashville is closer to rebuilding than to competing.

Nashville seems like a great city, a great balance between raising a family and having a night life. Not to mention they have a competent organization.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He played masterfully on the power play last year until he had an ankle injury he never got back from. He needs to get better at 5v5, but he absolutely has an elite shot. I don't think our fan base realized how good his shot was until he was on the power play. I am speaking for myself when I say that as well...truly next level. At 21 he is the best shooter on our team, and if he can continue to develop his 5v5 offense he should be a really nice top 6 forward/PP thorough bred for a long time.
I would add that I was impressed by his backcheck and physicality. Now, you can argue was he effective in those areas? No, not really. But he did hustle back consistently and try, and he also tried to throw a surprising number of hits, even if he mostly just bounced off guys. I think those are promising signs for his overall game coming around.

I hope they give him steady PP1 icetime, but I'll be surprised if that happens. He saved our bacon in that role when he came in during our injury fiesta, but they've got too many other higher-paid guys they are still going to want to spoonfeed opportunity to first, alas. :(

Reactions: Gh24

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hasn't impressed me at all yet but this should turn out a steal. Even if he is an average player for the duration of his deal, it's a steal for 3 years

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Agreed with everyone. Really strange Eeli's agent would advise him to accept a 3 year deal at this AAV. A one-year deal I could understand. But this is just locking him into a cheap contract for no reason.

If he puts up another similar season, he could be making 2-3x this cap hit.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wow, that's LOW on a 3 year term. Good for the Preds but why does Tolvanen do this?
He just wants to play hockey, in the NHL, I guess? :dunno:

Establishing this kind of "goodwill" show that he's onboard does win over hearts and minds in the front office, I imagine. :dunno:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Going to be a crazy good deal.

He's surely going to be a 40 point player or better these next 3 years
Yes sire. But not for Tolvanen. Nashville and their management made a huge steal and deal here. This is huge for this organization sire. :clap: I'm standing up loud and applauding hard here.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I don't love the player but this is a very team friendly deal with basically no risk.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I mean he was over 0.5 ppg and half of that goals

2 years i could somehow understand but 3

As Tom Cruise said in Top Gun 2 trailer...one of life's mysteries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad