Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Calle Jarnkrok (6 years, $2M AAV)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What a peculiar deal. I guess it's nice security for a middle of the roster type guy who seems to have found a good niche in Nashville. Really interesting.

Nice upside for the Preds, if he has any more potential to give. Though signing middle of the roster guys to that kind of term can be a bit dicey if they start to lose motivation, or simply start to decline as they age. Though at $2M AAV, it'd be awfully difficult for that to become a real albatross.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
I can't believe people here are arguing that he's not making much. What? Yes, he MIGHT have been able to make more but it's not a guarantee. And 12 million, even with the taxes and all that, will be more than I will ever make and he will most likely earn more too.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Good on the kid to choose team over $$ he's going to be on a contender for the duration. Or can be traded to a contender with the low cap hit. Smart.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I can't believe people here are arguing that he's not making much. What? Yes, he MIGHT have been able to make more but it's not a guarantee. And 12 million, even with the taxes and all that, will be more than I will ever make and he will most likely earn more too.

Obviously it is a ton of money for everyone. But he still probably left money on the table here, not something you see many players do these days.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Its the type of signing you used to be able to do in NHL 2012 if you lowballed someone and hoped that no one else offered anything

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Vegas bait?

Is this contract designed with expansion in mind?

Longterm cost controlled to temp Vegas to target him since they are likely protecting just 4 forwards.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Vegas bait?

Is this contract designed with expansion in mind?

Longterm cost controlled to temp Vegas to target him since they are likely protecting just 4 forwards.

Nashville would actually prefer to keep him over Wilson, but it will likely come down to a decision between the two.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
you don't give role players long term contracts no matter how friendly the terms

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Potential to be one of the better contracts in the league. Seems like a player who could be a ~50pt player who are now plaid closer to $5M.

He must be a guy who doesn't need a ton of money and would much prefer security.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think he can turn into a decent 2C. I don't think anyone would be disappointed if he followed a path similar to Fisher. Might not put that many points up unless he's got some support, but he's as good defensively as anyone. Fantastic on the PK too, just like Fish.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
you don't give role players long term contracts no matter how friendly the terms

At 2MM per and 24 years old, you should if he's willing to sign it. That's a pretty easily movable contract if he doesn't work out in a few years.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
At first I thought TSN had it wrong. I mean 2m is fine for him. But that term is crazy... why would he sign that? Sure he gets a guaranteed 12m, but the kid is 24 yrs old... does he not have any faith in himself that he can't get better over the next few years?

I mean I get the guys signing for 6 years at 3.5-4m per. It's 20m you're talking about. By the time it's all said and done, you're going to walk away with at least 8-9m after taxes. But 12m? He's going to be 30 and only have gotten 6m or so after taxes.

Good on Nashville, but I think the kid made a massive mistake.

This tells me that Järnkrok is afraid that he could end up without a NHL contract. He a pretty decent year last year, so I dont think that Nashville have to worry about Järnkrok development. If Järnkrok can stay about the same at least they have a pretty good contract. And if they are lucky it could turn out to be a steal.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Nashville would actually prefer to keep him over Wilson, but it will likely come down to a decision between the two.

We can probably get a deal set up for Vegas to take wilson. Wilson would be the preferable player to lose especially if Fiala comes along this season

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
You don't see a 6 year, $12 million deal every day.

This tells me that Järnkrok is afraid that he could end up without a NHL contract. He a pretty decent year last year, so I dont think that Nashville have to worry about Järnkrok development. If Järnkrok can stay about the same at least they have a pretty good contract. And if they are lucky it could turn out to be a steal.

Plus even in a worst case scenario he clears around $6 mil over his contract. Let's say he spends $2 mil of it by the time it's over. In the real world you can put $4 mil in the bank and never work another day in your life if you don't want to. You just won't be walking into strip clubs with trash bags full of cash.

Last edited:

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Realistically, I don't see his point total increasing much. He played 1/4 of the season on the first line, which probably will not happen again. He is a good 3C that has the versatility to play all over the line-up when called upon.

I like Calle, but he doesn't have a high ceiling. Good accurate shot, but takes too long to get it off. Too small to make time and space for himself. Most smaller players survive by being high skilled, fast, or scrappy. Calle isn't really any of these things. He is a smart, useful player. $2 - 2.5 million per year is about right. He gave the Preds a slight hometown discount to get long-term stability.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
I gotta give Jarnkrok a lot of credit for this contract. Low pressure organization, wants to play long term. Contract won't be a hinderance where he'll need to be buried in the minors.

Look at how many good players sign big contracts but end up getting buried/bought out. Mike Richards and Wade Redden are two that first come to mind. Especially when he's a lower-valued player, he doesn't get a stupid contract, but he get's an impressive term.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Realistically, I don't see his point total increasing much. He played 1/4 of the season on the first line, which probably will not happen again. He is a good 3C that has the versatility to play all over the line-up when called upon.

I like Calle, but he doesn't have a high ceiling. Good accurate shot, but takes too long to get it off. Too small to make time and space for himself. Most smaller players survive by being high skilled, fast, or scrappy. Calle isn't really any of these things. He is a smart, useful player. $2 - 2.5 million per year is about right. He gave the Preds a slight hometown discount to get long-term stability.
Going to disagree with this. He's skilled, has really good hands just not a quick release on his shot. He's also a very fluid skater with plenty of speed, not real explosive but a very good skater.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't increase his numbers.

To me, he's David Legwand part 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad