Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Calle Jarnkrok (6 years, $2M AAV)

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
It's sad to see some people so obsessed with money that they can't even fathom a player willingly leaving some on the table (while still making more than enough for them and their family to live comfortably for the rest of their lives) because they truly enjoy their current situation.
Would yourself from 6 years ago like where you are now?

Even if you were making the same amount of money you were making 6 years ago, now?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
lol bro please defend this... that's ridiculous

Lots of mid-tier veterans seem to be getting pushed out of the league and can barely get contracts.

Versteeg out. Vrbata, Hudler, Boyes unsigned. Those are guys who can probably add ~30+ points to your team yet can barely get signed. Last year Stempniak had to accept a PTO before he was signed.

It's a weird deal for Jarnrkrok, but if he feels as a mid-tier player he may be pushed out, and likes the situation he's in right now, it's not super surprising he'd rather go for job security and try not to maximize his earnings (with the risk of maybe not even being in the NHL in the future).

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Would yourself from 6 years ago like where you are now?

Even if you were making the same amount of money you were making 6 years ago, now?

Making that kind of money, yes. If talking just typical salaries of everyday people, no. At his salary, he doesn't have to spend much to live comfortably.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
Always loved Järnkrok, such a smart player who does all the little things right. Unfortunately he doesn't have the body to be a top tier NHL player, in that regard he reminds me a lot of Hudler. If they were bigger and stronger they'd both be superstars.

At first glance it might look crazy, but think of it for a second and its not so bad for him. His points are already rather low for NHL teams to be interested in someone of his stature, intangibles only gets you so far. One contract year were his points drops a bit and there's a good chance he won't get another chance in the NHL. He obviously likes it were it's at right now, and its not like 12M isn't something you can't live well of for the rest of your life if you don't completely screw up your investments.

And career ending injuries happen, I think he has a bit bigger chance of having one than most other players. He doesn't shy away from the tough areas and quite often pays the price for being so weak.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's sad to see some people so obsessed with money that they can't even fathom a player willingly leaving some on the table (while still making more than enough for them and their family to live comfortably for the rest of their lives) because they truly enjoy their current situation.

That's debatable. What will he clear of that 12m after taxes and deductions (agent, union dues, etc)? 5.5m if he's lucky? He's 24 yrs old. If he lives until he's 85, that's 91k a year to live on. Good, but far from great. Speaking from experience, 90k doesn't go as far as one thinks.

It's not that he left money on the table that make people shake their heads. It's that he A) signed a contract that took him until he's 30 and B) did so for so little. If he'd signed a 3 or even a 4 year deal at 2m per, no one would have batted an eye. He'd be 27/28 and still young enough that if he improved that he would have the option of signing another good contract. Besides, there's nothing stopping him from re-signing in NSH down the road.

This isn't about people being "obsessed with money", but questioning why someone would intentionally handcuff themselves like that. Remember, whatever he makes has to last him the rest of his life. Leaving a few million on the table because he likes things? Again, no one bats an eye. But he's potentially leaving a lot more than a "few million" on the table.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I have a feeling the Preds gave him a bunch of different contract options and he picked the one with the most money. Can't blame the kid for taking the safe bet. 12M (or whatever the net amount will be) is a life changing amount of money.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
As some have said, the first thing I thought about when I saw this term was how BFF Calle, Forsberg and Ekholm are, and that he didn't really care how much he made as long as it meant he would stay in Nashville. The three are all neighbors and they're attached at the hip at all times.

The second thing I thought about was how humble and quiet he is. Seems like he never cares about anything about playing the game.

Third thing I thought about is how much Lavy and Johansen rave about him.

The fourth thing I thought about is how in the world did Poile just rack up another impossible contract.

AAV of their contracts:

Jarnkrok: 2mil
Josi: 4 mil
Forsberg: 6 mil
Ellis: 2.5 mil
Ekholm: 3.75

Whatever Calle's camp was thinking, appreciate it.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
That's debatable. What will he clear of that 12m after taxes and deductions (agent, union dues, etc)? 5.5m if he's lucky? He's 24 yrs old. If he lives until he's 85, that's 91k a year to live on. Good, but far from great. Speaking from experience, 90k doesn't go as far as one thinks.

It's not that he left money on the table that make people shake their heads. It's that he A) signed a contract that took him until he's 30 and B) did so for so little. If he'd signed a 3 or even a 4 year deal at 2m per, no one would have batted an eye. He'd be 27/28 and still young enough that if he improved that he would have the option of signing another good contract. Besides, there's nothing stopping him from re-signing in NSH down the road.

This isn't about people being "obsessed with money", but questioning why someone would intentionally handcuff themselves like that. Remember, whatever he makes has to last him the rest of his life. Leaving a few million on the table because he likes things? Again, no one bats an eye. But he's potentially leaving a lot more than a "few million" on the table.

Will still have time to get another decent contract if he is good at 30. Plus if he does have this crazy hockey iq I'm sure he will find work in coaching or scouting after he's done hockey. If he doesn't wanna work he can just go live somewhere cheap seeing as he doesn't have to live where the money/work is after his contract is up. 90 k a year in one place can be a fortune. Some places not so much.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kris Versteeg
Brad Boyes
Radim Vbrata
Jiri Hudler
Alex Tanguay

are all productive NHL players in the range of 30 pts who are without an NHL contract right now. Versteeg has already gone over seas and the rest will likely end up somewhere via a camp invite but my point still stands. Jarnkrok would be far from having a guaranteed contract 3-4 years down the road.

Boyes - made 26m from 06-16, is currently 34
Vrbata - made 30m from 06-16, is currently 35
Hudler - made 23m from 06-16 (not counting what he made in the KHL while there). Is currently 32
Tanguay - made 40m from 06-16, is currently 36
Versteeg - made 26m from 06-16, is currently 30

About the closest comparable is Versteeg, and he's still several years older then Jarnkrok. I also dispute the idea that Versteeg couldn't get an NHL contract and only would have received a "camp invite". The same goes for Vrbata. There's several different reasons why players go to Europe. But fortunately for Versteeg he's made enough money that it doesn't really matter what he does from now on.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont

For starters, that's 910k a year, not 91k, second, TN has either no or a very small state income tax.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Will still have time to get another decent contract if he is good at 30. Plus if he does have this crazy hockey iq I'm sure he will find work in coaching or scouting after he's done hockey.

He'll likely get another contract when this one is over yes. However unless his value goes up significantly, he still really handcuff himself. A good/decent UFA at 29 will get a better contract then the same player who's 31. At 31, he's looking at what... 3-5 years if he's really in demand? At 29 he's looking at 5+ years.

I think this is a very short sighted contract for him to sign. If he wanted the security, then even a 4 year deal accomplishes that, while not limiting his options as much in the future.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
For starters, that's 910k a year, not 91k, second, TN has either no or a very small state income tax.

You might want to check your math. 5.5 million for 50 years? That is NOT 910k a year. TN may have low taxes, but there's still federal taxes, whatever he has to pay back in Sweeden and he's still paying state (and Canadian) taxes for every road game he plays.

Remember, that 5.5m has to last him the rest of his life. That or he will be forced out of necessity to get another job after his hockey career is done - in which case he'd better pray he doesn't have a career ending injury that affects his employment options down the road.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
You might want to check your math. 5.5 million for 50 years? That is NOT 910k a year. TN may have low taxes, but there's still federal taxes, whatever he has to pay back in Sweeden and he's still paying state (and Canadian) taxes for every road game he plays.

Remember, that 5.5m has to last him the rest of his life. That or he will be forced out of necessity to get another job after his hockey career is done - in which case he'd better pray he doesn't have a career ending injury that affects his employment options down the road.

I thought you meant the life of the contract, my bad. It's his choice though and I'm sure this won't be his last deal.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

I think most people can stretch out 5.5M. I know my 401 (k) won't ever be close to that.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
He will sign another deal after this one to make sure he stays loaded. When he retires he receives an NHL pension and in Sweden he will qualify for Swedish pension too. On top of that he will get a job of sorts after quitting playing so he should be set for life any which way

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Man from Johansen, to Forsberg to Subban to this... David Poile is killing it

term is odd but its very low at 2m so good deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad