Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Calle Jarnkrok (6 years, $2M AAV)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think most people can stretch out 5.5M. I know my 401 (k) won't ever be close to that.

I'm sure he can. But it just raises the question as to why put himself in a position where he may have to.

Neither will my RRSP balance. But then I also have another 20 years of earning a very good wage to live, pay off debt (house, vehicle, RV, etc), acquire toys and everything else. Additionally, I do not work in a profession where there's a legitimate risk for long term health concerns. And just as importantly, my retirement fund doesn't have to last 40+ years. Yes odds are that he will not retire to a beach at the age of 31 and do nothing but surf and drink... but considering how short players careers can be and how narrow their window is to cash in and make the most of their opportunity to earn extremely good money, it just seems really odd that a player would limit himself like he did, for as little (comparatively) as he did.

As I said before, 3-4, hell even 5 years doesn't change the end amount significantly, but could have a significant difference when it comes to his next contract. 25 yrs old and signing a cheap 6 year contract just seems odd. But whatever, good on Nashville for capitalizing on this.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Well he took security over term.

Really though, that should be a good 4 year deal from a players perspective.

Yeah he's a 3rd/4th line play wherever you need him type of player.... but a reliable NHL player as a UFA will cash in no matter what.

His agent really need to cut down on the term.

He'll be an excellent trade asset one day.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You might want to check your math. 5.5 million for 50 years? That is NOT 910k a year. TN may have low taxes, but there's still federal taxes, whatever he has to pay back in Sweeden and he's still paying state (and Canadian) taxes for every road game he plays.

Remember, that 5.5m has to last him the rest of his life. That or he will be forced out of necessity to get another job after his hockey career is done - in which case he'd better pray he doesn't have a career ending injury that affects his employment options down the road.

Maybe he shouldn't invest it under his mattress. Every 1% on $5.5m is going to get him $55k. And why wouldn't he get another job, he is young, he will be bored out of his mind doing nothing for 40 years.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Meh, i wouldn't be overly excited about this.

Don't get me wrong, 2M for what Jarnkrok brings to the table is good value. He can kill penalties, play anywhere in the lineup and put some points on the board.

But i don't see how a player in his mid 20's signs a 6 yr contract with this low AAV. All it tells me is Jarnkrok feels like he has to take the money & security now because he's not getting any better. Why would anyone hungry for climbing up the depth chart take this kind of deal ? Wouldn't make any sense.

So that being said, it's somewhat disappointing he took this type of deal, but then again he probably doesn't have the physical tools for taking his game to the next level. Nor the confidence or lethality with the puck.

Quite intelligent player though, so im thinking he's intelligent off the ice too and thought this would be his best move thinking long-term.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
Not everyone has the same feelings about money as you may have. There are different people with different values and personalities in this world. 12 million (6 mil after tax whatever) is more money than 99.999999% of human beings earn in a lifetime.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This leg they at that amount is really unusual. There is something is going on I don't know about.

Is he married?? Girlfriend from the area? Has kids this wants stability and contract certainty? Is it structured as a free not loaded 3 yr contract where he gots most of the money in the first 3-4 yrs then a 2 yr buyout?

creg78*

Not a bad deal, just a weird one for Jarnok to sign, figure he'd want a bridge but i guess he wants the security.

McCluffin

Jan 15, 2015
Victoria, BC
Josi contract 2.0...

Just hope he doesn't burst onto the scene this year and we lose him to Vegas.
Amazing contract, Poile has done it again.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Forsberg, Ekholm and Jarnkrok friendship has been brought up several times. Perhaps Jarnkrok asked "what kind of a deal would grant me a verbal agreement that I won't be traded?". If it wasn't for expansion draft, who knows, it could have included a nmc/ntc. And do we know for sure that it doesn't include one that kicks in after expansion draft?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Meh, i wouldn't be overly excited about this.

Don't get me wrong, 2M for what Jarnkrok brings to the table is good value. He can kill penalties, play anywhere in the lineup and put some points on the board.

But i don't see how a player in his mid 20's signs a 6 yr contract with this low AAV. All it tells me is Jarnkrok feels like he has to take the money & security now because he's not getting any better. Why would anyone hungry for climbing up the depth chart take this kind of deal ? Wouldn't make any sense.

So that being said, it's somewhat disappointing he took this type of deal, but then again he probably doesn't have the physical tools for taking his game to the next level. Nor the confidence or lethality with the puck.

Quite intelligent player though, so im thinking he's intelligent off the ice too and thought this would be his best move thinking long-term.
Maybe he decided 2 mill a year is enough to play hockey and gives his team with his friends a better chance to win a cup. Could be any number of reasons tho. Maybe he just dogs it the next couple years who knows. Doubt it tho.

The security thing might become more common tho as teams are leaning towards signing a core of 5 6 guys for good money and then filling the rest of the team with elc's and cheap contracts where the guys that deserve inbetween are having a hard time getting jobs.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
I know this has been said, but to reiterate the sentiment, this is such an odd contract. This is the most complacent NHL contract I've ever seen been agreed upon.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Boyes - made 26m from 06-16, is currently 34
Vrbata - made 30m from 06-16, is currently 35
Hudler - made 23m from 06-16 (not counting what he made in the KHL while there). Is currently 32
Tanguay - made 40m from 06-16, is currently 36
Versteeg - made 26m from 06-16, is currently 30

About the closest comparable is Versteeg, and he's still several years older then Jarnkrok. I also dispute the idea that Versteeg couldn't get an NHL contract and only would have received a "camp invite". The same goes for Vrbata. There's several different reasons why players go to Europe. But fortunately for Versteeg he's made enough money that it doesn't really matter what he does from now on.

The money and age is pointless when it comes to my argument.

The question is would he be guaranteed a contract in 3-4 years? I honestly believe no especially if he remains a 30 pt player. Year by year the useful age of players gets pushed back. Jarnkrok would be 27-28 in 3-4 years. If he is still only a 30 pt player he isn't going to be anything special and would likely sign for a max of 2M a year anyways.

This was probably the safest bet by him if he and his agent don't expect him to be a much better player going forward. Security is going to become a lot more valuable to tweeners.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
He just signed himself into the core of the team . Great contract that will be a steal within a few years . Very underrated player who is only going to get better . Has always improved each year .

AK44

Apr 22, 2016
I'm sure he can. But it just raises the question as to why put himself in a position where he may have to.

Neither will my RRSP balance. But then I also have another 20 years of earning a very good wage to live, pay off debt (house, vehicle, RV, etc), acquire toys and everything else. Additionally, I do not work in a profession where there's a legitimate risk for long term health concerns. And just as importantly, my retirement fund doesn't have to last 40+ years. Yes odds are that he will not retire to a beach at the age of 31 and do nothing but surf and drink... but considering how short players careers can be and how narrow their window is to cash in and make the most of their opportunity to earn extremely good money, it just seems really odd that a player would limit himself like he did, for as little (comparatively) as he did.

As I said before, 3-4, hell even 5 years doesn't change the end amount significantly, but could have a significant difference when it comes to his next contract. 25 yrs old and signing a cheap 6 year contract just seems odd. But whatever, good on Nashville for capitalizing on this.

As if the bloke is going to retire at 30 with his 5.5mil and not do a single other thing to generate even the tiniest bit of income for the next 50 years of his life...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad