Speculation: Now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
If they want to get rid of Callahan they just give him the 'C' if Stammer leaves. Curse will take care of when. :sarcasm:

Pointerspoint

socktaper
Mar 23, 2013
Lake County
I'm officially done with this forum. Managed to suck any enjoyment out of this game and this place has turned into nothing but a bunch of wash woman complaining about Things. It's not everyone but the handful of people who are nothing but ****ing ignorant people I cannot take anymore.

Bye

There is actually an option of just not reading if you don't like what's being said. Just saying. :dunno:

On the subject of Callahan, he doesn't bother me, I don't really expect him to score a lot. His contract could be a hindrance, that's all.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm officially done with this forum. Managed to suck any enjoyment out of this game and this place has turned into nothing but a bunch of wash woman complaining about Things. It's not everyone but the handful of people who are nothing but ****ing ignorant people I cannot take anymore.

Bye

At least we don't have to read about how Callahan can do-no wrong anymore.

I'm sure you'll be back on a new board when he's traded ;):laugh:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Of course I'm looking at contracts due in different years. It's the next two summers that are critical, not just this one. Actually we should be fine going into next season - 2017 is when trouble really hits us.

I think you're low on Drouin's contract: if he has a big season next year he's going to be expecting at least $6M and possibly $7M if he puts up Kucherov-like numbers. You also have to take into account the cost of replacing the guys you ship out with players on their ELCs, and I'll be surprised if we can trade Filppula without retaining at least $1M and possibly more. And unfortunately Callahan will require protection in the expansion draft as his full NMC is still valid in the 2017-2018 season.

Now we could buy out Callahan which would effectively save us a little over $2M. And if we trade Killorn or Palat and package him with Carle that would save us an additional $1.8M from Carle's buyout plus the difference between the traded forward's salary and his replacement's. But we still end up a worse team than the one that couldn't quite get it done the past couple of years. Which is why cutting Bishop loose and moving on from both Garrison and Coburn early might make more sense. Get younger to keep our forward depth, then rebuild with some cap space to work with.

What has Drouin done so far to get a deal like Kucherov? Drouin has had two pretty mediocre regular seasons so far, one bad playoffs and one good. He'd have to hit 100 points and win the Hart to get 7mil after next year. I can see him doing a 2 year bridge not 3 but his salary should be below 5mil.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think we're jumping the gun a little bit on Callahan in talking about a buyout. It would be a remarkably expensive venture that would cripple us in a world where the cap goes down.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I think we're jumping the gun a little bit on Callahan in talking about a buyout. It would be a remarkably expensive venture that would cripple us in a world where the cap goes down.

The best for all of us would be that Callahan gets back on track and rather quickly. Buying Callahan out is a cap killer indeed. So, pray everyone.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Bye

What's the issues people have there own opinions you can read it or ignore it thunder buddy hope you return

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary

Bye

You can't call others ignorant when you're the one who refuses to leave out personal feelings when it comes to hockey discussions. If this is how it's going to be then good riddance.

you miss the announcement on las vegas today? 500 million is on way to nhl. The cap is going right up after this year.

I think I saw some where that the expansion cash would go towards non hockey related revenue so it wouldn't increase the cap.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
you miss the announcement on las vegas today? 500 million is on way to nhl. The cap is going right up after this year.

Expansion money does not affect the cap. If anything, adding a franchise will decrease the cap depending on when Las Vegas is added in to HRR.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
You can't call others ignorant when you're the one who refuses to leave out personal feelings when it comes to hockey discussions. If this is how it's going to be then good riddance.

I think I saw some where that the expansion cash would go towards non hockey related revenue so it wouldn't increase the cap.

that means it all goes to owners pockets. i saw this too but what players union will do is another story. Thats a lot of money to close eyes about.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
that means it all goes to owners pockets. i saw this too but what players union will do is another story. Thats a lot of money to close eyes about.

I don't think you get the process. Players get 50% of HRR. Expansion is not HRR. Players do not get half. The PA can't do anything about it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
[/B]

The cap will go up from this but not a lot. The PA won't care if it goes to increasing the cap at all because it means there will be another 50 players getting contracts and making money which is what they care about, not the top players getting more.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The cap will go up from this but not a lot. The PA won't care if it goes to increasing the cap at all because it means there will be another 50 players getting contracts and making money which is what they care about, not the top players getting more.

Ya Robert thinks it's going to like 80 right away no it's not. Will go up 3 or 4 million and players should not have to use the escrow after this year. If the players use the escalator at 5 percent it will go to 72.8. If they don't use it it will drop to 69 this year! No way it gets to 80 million anytime soon. For 2017-2018 I can see it at 74 and that's about it just know it won't go down.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
What has Drouin done so far to get a deal like Kucherov? Drouin has had two pretty mediocre regular seasons so far, one bad playoffs and one good. He'd have to hit 100 points and win the Hart to get 7mil after next year. I can see him doing a 2 year bridge not 3 but his salary should be below 5mil.

The problem is Drouin doesn't understand the concept of paying his dues. If he puts up more points than Palat next season, for instance, he's going to expect a Palat-sized contract - never mind the fact that Palat is a far better defensive forward, has put up those numbers repeatedly rather than just once, and has paid his dues while overachieving on the sort of contract you're suggesting.

So we'll have a choice at that point: we can dig in our heels and give him the sort of deal Johnson and Palat got, but it will refracture what is currently a mending relationship and could lead to more public discontent, offer sheets by teams hoping to steal him from us, and him leaving the organization at the earliest possible opportunity. Or we can give him a contract big enough to make the self-entitled kid feel valued as one of our best scorers (which he likely will be going forward). My guess is that he'll take anything under $5M as an insult. He'll probably want $6-7M if he's one of our top scorers next season, we'll explain that he's only done it once and that we can't give him that kind of money until he shows that he can do it again, and we'll end up compromising at around $5M+ for two years.

That's just how I see things going.

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
The problem is Drouin doesn't understand the concept of paying his dues. If he puts up more points than Palat next season, for instance, he's going to expect a Palat-sized contract - never mind the fact that Palat is a far better defensive forward, has put up those numbers repeatedly rather than just once, and has paid his dues while overachieving on the sort of contract you're suggesting.

So we'll have a choice at that point: we can dig in our heels and give him the sort of deal Johnson and Palat got, but it will refracture what is currently a mending relationship and could lead to more public discontent, offer sheets by teams hoping to steal him from us, and him leaving the organization at the earliest possible opportunity. Or we can give him a contract big enough to make the self-entitled kid feel valued as one of our best scorers (which he likely will be going forward). My guess is that he'll take anything under $5M as an insult. He'll probably want $6-7M if he's one of our top scorers next season, we'll explain that he's only done it once and that we can't give him that kind of money until he shows that he can do it again, and we'll end up compromising at around $5M+ for two years.

That's just how I see things going.

Most likely it'll be a Ryan Johansen sort of situation. Yzerman will make him earn it like he did this season. He doesn't give in :)

If Drouin sours out again then he definitely isn't the right fit for the team. At least we wont get peanuts for him.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Most likely it'll be a Ryan Johansen sort of situation. Yzerman will make him earn it like he did this season. He doesn't give in :)

If Drouin sours out again then he definitely isn't the right fit for the team. At least we wont get peanuts for him.

You could very well be right. I was probably the strongest advocate on this board of playing hardball with Drouin when it came to his lockout and refusing to trade him for anything less than full value and I loved the way Yzerman handled the situation. I just think there's a point where playing hardball becomes counterproductive.

You're right that we wouldn't get peanuts for him, but we still wouldn't get full value and we are definitely a better team with Drouin on it and playing to the best of his ability. We obviously can't bend over for him (if anything I like him a little pissed off and playing with that chip on his shoulder) but we want to at least keep him reasonably happy, productive, and not thinking about leaving town the first chance he gets. Something around $5M would probably work out well for all parties involved; $3-4M probably won't cut it if his numbers next season are closer to Kucherov's than Killorn's.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Drouin is looking like a guy you build around. I think if he plays like how he did in the playoffs for us in the regular season then he's a guy who you build around and make him a core player.

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
You could very well be right. I was probably the strongest advocate on this board of playing hardball with Drouin when it came to his lockout and refusing to trade him for anything less than full value and I loved the way Yzerman handled the situation. I just think there's a point where playing hardball becomes counterproductive.

You're right that we wouldn't get peanuts for him, but we still wouldn't get full value and we are definitely a better team with Drouin on it and playing to the best of his ability. We obviously can't bend over for him (if anything I like him a little pissed off and playing with that chip on his shoulder) but we want to at least keep him reasonably happy, productive, and not thinking about leaving town the first chance he gets. Something around $5M would probably work out well for all parties involved; $3-4M probably won't cut it if his numbers next season are closer to Kucherov's than Killorn's.

Drouin is looking like a guy you build around. I think if he plays like how he did in the playoffs for us in the regular season then he's a guy who you build around and make him a core player.

I guess it should depend on Kucherov's deal this year. TyJo and Palat had to take bridge deals so there is a precedent but if Kucherov gets a sweet deal right after his rookie contract then it would make sense for Drouin to get something similar.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I guess it should depend on Kucherov's deal this year. TyJo and Palat had to take bridge deals so there is a precedent but if Kucherov gets a sweet deal right after his rookie contract then it would make sense for Drouin to get something similar.

Agreed. It's imperative that unless Drouin, Johnson and Palat all respectively have a MASSIVE year that Yzerman sign them for lesser than or equal to the deal Kucherov is going to get unless they greatly outperform him. Stamkos and Hedman are going to break the bank and so too will Bishop if we keep him.

At this point who we keep is probably gonna be determined by "eenie meanie miney mo" and whatever salary they are looking for

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Bye

You complain about all the same things minus Callahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad