Speculation: Now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
One last attempt at shopping Carle, if unsuccessful buy out his contract. Go from there.

Buying out his contract does what for our cap situation? Just curious if we eat part.

1. Get rid of Carle.
2. Get rid of Paquette.
3. Hope DeAngelo is ready next year
4. Sign Stamkos
5. Sign Kucherov
6. Extend Drouin
7. Extend Hedman
8. Sign Namestnikov
9. Sign Brown
10. Fire Cooper?

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
Find another top 6 center for the likely departure of Stammer and hopefully Flips last game here

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Regardless if Stammer is back, give Boyle the C.

Trade Vasy. His stock won't be higher, and Bishop is putting up elite numbers in consecutive years. We could get a really solid return for him, and as much as I'd hate to lose him, I think it would be best for both.

I say move on from Carle and Coburn, and possibly Sustr.

If Stammer is gone, make moves to get another player to replace him. Trade would be likely. That's another reason I think a Vasy trade could be beneficial, get a solid forward and D man.

Bring back the old Cup banner. That new one is terrible. We've won one Cup, and I loved our old banner.

Bring back victory stripes under the armpits. I realize I've beaten the dead horse with the logo/unis, and I won't go back into that now, but Phil would love to have them back and I think most fans would. It was such a unique part of a uni and was part of our identity. Those need to be back.

No need to fire Cooper, though I'm not opposed to other coaching changes.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I hope Yzerman has a couple of draft day blockbusters lined up because this team is ready to win it all but we need help. The issue of "If the TKO line doesn't score, no one does" was partially resolved by Drouin but we need someone who he is going to mesh with. I don't know if this means splitting Kucherov from Johnson and Palat but I think it's going to be needed.

One of my biggest takeaways from these playoffs is that Palat is not nearly as good as he is without Johnson.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
God I was hoping we'd be more like the 08/09 Red Wings or Penguins, guys who want to get back to back finals no matter what, instead we've followed the path of the NYR, I'm seeing more of them then I do a championship team, guys who fall back on the play instead of pushing it. I hope we don't get stuck in that level of mediocrity the NYR's have been in for a decade, 2nd and 3rd round losers. The worst thing to watch is a competitive team that doesn't have what it takes to win the cup.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
God I was hoping we'd be more like the 08/09 Red Wings or Penguins, guys who want to get back to back finals no matter what, instead we've followed the path of the NYR, I'm seeing more of them then I do a championship team, guys who fall back on the play instead of pushing it. I hope we don't get stuck in that level of mediocrity the NYR's have been in for a decade, 2nd and 3rd round losers. The worst thing to watch is a competitive team that doesn't have what it takes to win the cup.

On a team full of ex-Rangers it certainly feels that way right now doesn't it? Boyle had a very valiant effort the whole series. Stralman played like a guy who was gone for a month and Callahan was sometimes brilliant.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Find another top 6 center for the likely departure of Stammer and hopefully Flips last game here

I have nothing against Filppula but we don't really have room to carry him now. I like his demeanor but his skating and hands don't mean anything when he can't score. Gonna miss his faceoff ability. Seriously this is an understated problem with the team. Don't win enough faceoffs.

If it were me, my lines would be:

Drouin - Stamkos - Palat
Killorn - Johnson - Kucherov
Callahan - Boyle - Brown
X - Namestnikov - X

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Coburn
Sustr - Koekkoek
Nesterov

But who really thinks the top 6 can get over the hump without a decent addition (a Kessel or Hagelin).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There was a thing mentioned on twitter that Drouin told Rick Peckham he'll definitely be back. Anyone else see that?

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
On a team full of ex-Rangers it certainly feels that way right now doesn't it? Boyle had a very valiant effort the whole series. Stralman played like a guy who was gone for a month and Callahan was sometimes brilliant.

Should have brought in Sullivan, too. Where was Cally when we needed him most? :sarcasm:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I have nothing against Filppula but we don't really have room to carry him now. I like his demeanor but his skating and hands don't mean anything when he can't score. Gonna miss his faceoff ability. Seriously this is an understated problem with the team. Don't win enough faceoffs.

If it were me, my lines would be:

Drouin - Stamkos - Palat
Killorn - Johnson - Kucherov
Callahan - Boyle - Brown
X - Namestnikov - X

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Coburn
Sustr - Koekkoek
Nesterov

But who really thinks the top 6 can get over the hump without a decent addition (a Kessel or Hagelin).

So we don't win enough faceoffs and you want Stamkos back? He doesn't win many either and how are we affording him and Kucherov even with Filpulla and Carle gone?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What we don't do now is panic and make knee-jerk moves.

Carle's fate was decided months ago. Maybe Stamkos's too. Keokkoek replaces Carle, and we'll need to check our options on who replaces Stamkos. Then we try to improve where we can. I don't see a drastically different roster coming back next year, but hopefully we'll be subtly improved.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What we don't do now is panic and make knee-jerk moves.

Carle's fate was decided months ago. Maybe Stamkos's too. Keokkoek replaces Carle, and we'll need to check our options on who replaces Stamkos. Then we try to improve where we can. I don't see a drastically different roster coming back next year, but hopefully we'll be subtly improved.

No need for massive changes but if Carle's coming back next year then we have a problem, a waste of a roster spot and slowing the development of younger players. The biggest move that could happen this summer is a probably Filppula trade from out of the blue.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Any good top 6 FA centers this year?

EDIT: besides Stamkos, har har.

EDIT 2: Fixing our god awful power play should be a top priority as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->