Tampere, Finland
Helm - Larkin - Mantha
Bertuzzi - Nielsen - Nyquist
Akader - AA - Vanek
Rasmussen - Ehn - Glendening
(Frk)
(Witkowski, waived)
(Svechnikov, injured)

These are the combinations they mostly used on preseason games.

Last edited:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Bert shouldn't be in the top 6 after showing nearly nothing in the preseason.

Completely agree with you on this subject.

I think Bertuzzi is really the one guy I feel like won’t pan out as much as others. I don’t see him as a top sixer. Maybe right now is a good time to see if he can, but I think once our team improves he’ll be easily replaced.

Now, I think he can be an excellent third liner without a doubt.

Maybe not a popular opinion, but I think I’d rather have Abby in his place.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And why on Earth are you debating about a top6, when there's no clear top6 setup..?

More of equal three lines.

2A.Line: Helm - Larkin - Mantha
2B.Line: Akader - AA - Vanek
2C.Line: Bertuzzi - Nielsen - Nyquist

4th.Line Rasmussen - Ehn - Glendening

Does this look any better. Same shit in different package. :D

Really, what a heck is a "TOP6", if they use 8 forwards on the power-play and build three offensively almost equal lines?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
is Rasmussen really expected to be on the 4th line? that would be a huge disappointment. I dont want him playing 10 min a night in a checking role.

They had different lines today, but I could see him getting 4th line mins the first few games just to get his feet wet with the real NHL and go from there. If he played 4th line mins at even strength but got a few mins a game on the PP that wouldnt be bad to start out

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He should be in the top 6 based on his 48 regular season games last season.
He scored mostly in games playing with the top line. This is just an example of the Kunitz effect. He's not a top 6 player any more than Abdelkader or Helm are top 6 players. There are more talented players that are being shifted down the lineup to inflate his stat line.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
He took stupid penalties, was chasing the play, and didn't score. Doesn't sound like top 6 material to me.
On our team, Top 6 yes...On a contender, 3rd line. He has IQ, decent, vision, grit, tenacity, net front presence, decent offense & defense, team player, youth, physical pest, plays bigger than 190 lbs. He is our Swiss Army knife a la Dan Cleary.

71, 39, 14, 51, 26, 72, 59 ...we have 7 top 6 guys that would be ok in that role.

Hopefully Z2, Ras & Svech develop into that, but I see them as 3rd liners now that need to polish different aspects of their overall game.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Apologies for my ineptitude ... but does it appear as though Libor Sulak is going to start the season in Detroit?

We should have a clearer picture after today's practice. IMO, I think he is the most likely candidate to be sent down if one of the injured vets can play.

With Witkowski clearing waivers, there is a good chance he might play opening night.

Last edited:

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Its should be up to Larkin

Sorry, that is a coaching decision.

I do think Rasmussen will replace Mantha on the first line before Thanksgiving. Despite going to a sports psychologist, Mantha has difficulty maintaining effort. This is one quality Rasmussen exudes. Blashill will replace Mantha during his first slump.

Same will happen to AA.....just a matter of time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
is Rasmussen really expected to be on the 4th line? that would be a huge disappointment. I dont want him playing 10 min a night in a checking role.

Rasmussen is going to be on the PP from day 1, he has an unteachable talent there so his minutes can only be reduced so much. I hope he knocks Helm down the lineup at some point. Prove to Blashill you can be a heavy F1 on the 4th line, score a couple on the PP and there is an avenue up.

I think they want to find a way to make sure Helm hits 30+ points this year for him to have value in the off-season, keep in mind the conditions on his NTC are pretty challenging to achieve and include us being a playoff team. He also finished well on Larkin's wing last year. While I hate his placement there, I think it is temporary and he will go down the lineup at some point. In the meantime I hope he can start the season well because that is his best chance to bank points before more skilled players relegate him down the lineup or when he inevitably misses time to injury and he loses his spot.

For Helm this is hopefully his last crack off the fourth line in Detroit, he better bring the energy he brought as a younger guy and forecheck like his top 9 future in the league is on the line because for me it is right now.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He scored mostly in games playing with the top line. This is just an example of the Kunitz effect. He's not a top 6 player any more than Abdelkader or Helm are top 6 players. There are more talented players that are being shifted down the lineup to inflate his stat line.
So... he shouldn't play on the top line this year... because he spent so much time getting points on the top line last year??

It really is amazing that we find exactly what HFBoards has always wanted. A young kid that worked his way up to the top line in his first year. But because he doesn't have fancy stickhandling, people are just itching to get him down on the 4th line.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
"Lil'Bertuzzi" is a classic example of hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. I get why people like him, blue collar grit player. It's a feel good story. But it's not like he's a super talented player.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
"Lil'Bertuzzi" is a classic example of hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. I get why people like him, blue collar grit player. It's a feel good story. But it's not like he's a super talented player.

No he’s not ultra talented, but he is very strong on the puck, and he’s that perfect support player to play with your top line. He’s Abby but with better hands, and vision, and hockey IQ

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
IMO both Frk and Ehn should be on the roster so the jersey guys can save money on letters.

Also, a line should be Frk-Ehn-AA. That way every time they score we can all yell "FRKEHN AAAAAAAA!"

Reactions: Ezekial and Flowah

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

He does have elite traits. For example his hockey IQ is off the charts. He is seemingly incapable of losing a board battle even against the strongest of competition. He forechecks better than anyone else on the team despite being a slower skater - very reminiscent of Zetterberg. He compliments any scoring line perfectly IMO. Hes got great vision and can read plays well, and has a decent shot. He produced a good amount in the AHL and even won MVP in the playoffs there, its not like hes devoid of offensive skill.

im biased af though because ive been super high on bertuzzi for the past couple of seasons - I think it was a few preseasons ago when we first got a glimpse of him and I loved him ever since.

Reactions: izlez and mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad