Notes before Season Opener

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Take AA off the 2nd unit and add Bertuzzi for the net front.
This feels like a make or break year for AA and the organization. We’re going to suck anyway, so let’s give him every shot to see what he can do.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
This feels like a make or break year for AA and the organization. We’re going to suck anyway, so let’s give him every shot to see what he can do.

Fine. But Wings need a net-front guy. And Mantha has to be on the PP. Though I'd rather lil' Bert as the net guy... Mantha is the next guy in line for that job if RAS is the #1 guy and Bert is sitting.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Where's Ehn gonna play?? We only have one roster spot opened with Z's retirement. And Blashill said he's gonna play Thursday. Is Ras gonna sit out? Or will it be Frk?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No way Rasmussen makes the team, only to sit in the pressbox, makes no sense at all! If he was going to be an extra forward, he would have been sent back to the W! Frk or someone else clearly sits. As far as PP goes, both Vanek and Mantha should be on PP #1, as Bertuzzi has done nothing to suggest he is better than them, and in all fairness to Ras (rookie), he hasn't put up Mantha's offense yet, so Mantha should be on the #1 unit.

Reactions: borisbadenough

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
No way Rasmussen makes the team, only to sit in the pressbox, makes no sense at all! If he was going to be an extra forward, he would have been sent back to the W! Frk or someone else clearly sits. As far as PP goes, both Vanek and Mantha should be on PP #1, as Bertuzzi has done nothing to suggest he is better than them, and in all fairness to Ras (rookie), he hasn't put up Mantha's offense yet, so Mantha should be on the #1 unit.

as far as the units thing goes I wouldn't get too caught up on what they're called if that's what they end up being

they can call them whatever they want it doesn't change the fact that Mantha's on the stronger unit,give me the unit with Vanek and Nielsen over the one with Larkin and Nyquist any day

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
He's signed for two years at $3 million per. They'll only deal him when it's time to lock him up long term.

They will deal him when the return package is right. There is no time table for a trade.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but I'd willing to bet a lot of you have never played against men of Mantha or Rasmussen's stature as a goalie. I have. It's not easy. Stopping Mantha's shot isn't as difficult compared to having those guys in front, ready to pounce on rebounds from shots you inevitably can't see because they take away your entire field of vision.

That being said, I don't see why Mantha shouldn't at least try the halfboard on the PP. In my eyes, this should be an entire season of experimentation

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Gosh this "Manta net front lol" meme is getting pretty old. It's like you guys would prefer to put our least-skilled player there and just have him stand still for 2 minutes. It doesn't hurt to have a good player play net front and be effective at it!

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Gosh this "Manta net front lol" meme is getting pretty old. It's like you guys would prefer to put our least-skilled player there and just have him stand still for 2 minutes. It doesn't hurt to have a good player play net front and be effective at it!

I just think it shows a lack of creativity by management. Vanek has proven to be an elite net-front player, so it makes sense to put him there. Mantha is our best goal scorer, I think it would be beneficial to try him in other areas.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not gonna lie, I was pretty excited seeing Mantha not in the net front role on the pp the game I watched. I wanted to see him shoot the puck more. BUT, I don't hate him being the net front guy. He's good at it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I just think it shows a lack of creativity by management. Vanek has proven to be an elite net-front player, so it makes sense to put him there. Mantha is our best goal scorer, I think it would be beneficial to try him in other areas.

All games I have watched making my own stats, Vanek is usually the most creative player on power-play, assists most quality chances.

Reactions: borisbadenough

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Needs to be quoted since everyone continues to tar-and-feather Blashill when Bylsma runs the power play.

People are so consumed with hate towards the guy they'll blame him for cancer, world hunger, and global warming.

Blashill is the head coach and ultimately responsible for all aspects of coaching strategy.

That being said our PP sucked so I’m up for trying everything. And because of Manthas size and hands I don’t think it’s insane to have him at the net front.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Blashill is the head coach and ultimately responsible for all aspects of coaching strategy.

That being said our PP sucked so I’m up for trying everything. And because of Manthas size and hands I don’t think it’s insane to have him at the net front.

I think thats why some ppl wanted a change with Mantha's role.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I thought our PP had more trouble breaking in and setting up in the zone than actually executing the play during the PP.
Early on in the season they were pretty good once they got set up, but I felt like as the season went on it was getting set up that was the problem.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I thought our PP had more trouble breaking in and setting up in the zone than actually executing the play during the PP.
Early on in the season they were pretty good once they got set up, but I felt like as the season went on it was getting set up that was the problem.

Agree with this. Because we haven't played much puckpossession anymore, that usually makes PP zone-entries harder. There no routine to enter the zone with puck, when you are used to dump it all the time.

This has happened in other teams which have changed playing styles. When puckpossession and Zone-entries are in you backbone also at 5-on-5, making a zone-entry on PP becomes as easy as eating peanuts.

Larkin and Athanasiou should be the main guys doing that and split on two units. Also Cholowski looks great on entries, no matter what the system is we use. We should have better tools for those things now if they use them right.

Lacking Right-handed shooters imo is the biggest need currently, imo. All the threats are lefties on the right side, or point shots. It's easier for opposite PK units to play these threats away. We need threats on all sides of the Zone, to once have as great power-play as some units with Yzerman, Shanny and Hull were. Getting a right-shooting natural scorer guy like Cozens from next draft would be cruicial change for future PP. Or a playmaker like Dach, wouldn't mind him either.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ice-times on preseason:

Forwards:
C Dylan Larkin 20:10
C Andreas Athanasiou 19:34
C Frans Nielsen 17:44
RW Anthony Mantha 17:43
LW Michael Rasmussen 16:59
(LW Jussi Jokinen 16:40)
RW Gustav Nyquist 16:38
LW Darren Helm 16:32
RW Justin Abdelkader 16:22
LW Thomas Vanek 16:13
LW Tyler Bertuzzi 16:13
RW Filip Zadina 15:32
C Luke Glendening 15:15
RW Martin Frk 14:22
C Joe Veleno 14:07
C Dominic Turgeon 14:03
C Christoffer Ehn 13:25
LW Givani Smith 13:07
RW Evgeny Svechnikov 13:04
RW Matt Puempel 11:49
C Wade Megan 11:24
LW Chris Terry 11:21
RW Luke Witkowski 8:46
LW David Pope 7:46

Defencemen:
Dennis Cholowski 21:45
Joe Hicketts 21:17
Libor Sulak 19:58
Jonathan Ericsson 19:10
Filip Hronek 18:49
Niklas Kronwall 18:19
Trevor Daley 18:16
Vili Saarijärvi 18:15
Danny DeKeyser 17:54
Nick Jensen 17:19

Chelios, McIlrath and Hamilton off from comparison.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
PK Icetimes:
----------------------
Luke Glendening, 3:05
Justin Abdelkader, 2:54
Darren Helm, 2:36
Jussi Jokinen, 2:31
Christoffer Ehn, 2:28
Frans Nielsen, 2:25