Notes before Season Opener

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
He does have elite traits. For example his hockey IQ is off the charts. He is seemingly incapable of losing a board battle even against the strongest of competition. He forechecks better than anyone else on the team despite being a slower skater - very reminiscent of Zetterberg. He compliments any scoring line perfectly IMO. Hes got great vision and can read plays well, and has a decent shot. He produced a good amount in the AHL and even won MVP in the playoffs there, its not like hes devoid of offensive skill.

im biased af though because ive been super high on bertuzzi for the past couple of seasons - I think it was a few preseasons ago when we first got a glimpse of him and I loved him ever since.

Same. I'm higher on him than most of the other forwards tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if he's around for a long time.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He does have elite traits. For example his hockey IQ is off the charts. He is seemingly incapable of losing a board battle even against the strongest of competition. He forechecks better than anyone else on the team despite being a slower skater - very reminiscent of Zetterberg. He compliments any scoring line perfectly IMO. Hes got great vision and can read plays well, and has a decent shot. He produced a good amount in the AHL and even won MVP in the playoffs there, its not like hes devoid of offensive skill.

im biased af though because ive been super high on bertuzzi for the past couple of seasons - I think it was a few preseasons ago when we first got a glimpse of him and I loved him ever since.
I think he's a fantastic addition to any lineup in the NHL but in the case of the Red Wings he looks like an 8 because everyone else is a 4, just IMO

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Would assume Mantha and Vanek would rotate positionally given both can be effective in either role.
They could rotate the two in and out from the half wall during the same power play. Tv is pretty good making decisions from the half wall with the puck . As good or better than most other guys on the pp

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Not sure I like Abby with the AA line. He does not finish, has average vision and hands and not a asset getting you into the o zone.

I am more worried about the pk than the pp.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Not sure I like Abby with the AA line. He does not finish, has average vision and hands and not a asset getting you into the o zone.

it should be someone who good at defense . It could be Aby ,Helm or Ehn , someone who cover up for AA and Vanek

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I agree with Blashill on this one.

AA and Vanek need a forechecker. Abby will do that. Vanek and AA take care of the offense, Abby is just there to get pucks.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I read a quote in several articles:
""That one probably surprised me a little bit," Blashill said. "I said to (general manager) Ken Holland last week I want to make sure we have four lines that I can play and trust and we can put any line out there against anybody at any time and I want to make sure we have a momentum line and a line … I talked to Kris Draper lots about his old line and Scotty (Bowman) used them in a lot of different ways, sometimes it was against the other team's best, sometimes it was to create momentum off the opening face-off, all that kind of stuff." Notes: Ehn makes the cut, will begin season in Detroit

I am sure we all have seen it.

Given that Blash wants to use the 4th line as a "shutdown" or predominately defensive line would you rather see Helm or Abdelkader on that line? IMO, both will be injured at some point and that leaves room for another center with defense first, like Turgeon, to come and try to secure that role. Thoughts?

Additionally, does it bode well that Blash is at least talking to a grind liner and 20 goal defensive minded center about how best to use Ehn and Drapes is providing good praise for the Swede?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hey Deadwings, Avs fan here. How do you guys see Mantha doing this year? Ended up taking him in a pool so I'm curious on if it was a decent pick or not.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
I honestly prefer Helm over Abby on AA's line. His defensive ability and speed would work well with AA and Vanek.

Reactions: Filppula

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
I honestly prefer Helm over Abby on AA's line. His defensive ability and speed would work well with AA and Vanek.
I agree, let us not forget the semblance of chemistry between helm and tv the last time around before Helm got hurt.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So... he shouldn't play on the top line this year... because he spent so much time getting points on the top line last year??

It really is amazing that we find exactly what HFBoards has always wanted. A young kid that worked his way up to the top line in his first year. But because he doesn't have fancy stickhandling, people are just itching to get him down on the 4th line.

He scored at a middle 6 pace while playing on the top line, imagine giving a talented player that same spot? Abdelkader can score 40 points playing on the top line, but what's the point if someone else can score 60 in that spot? Same idea here. Bert had a good run, but, he will always be the type of player people will have to scream about not looking at the stat sheet to defend. Better to have Ras, Mantha, Zadina, Nyquist, Vanek, Svech in that position, and let him play an energy/secondary scoring role.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He scored at a middle 6 pace while playing on the top line, imagine giving a talented player that same spot? Abdelkader can score 40 points playing on the top line, but what's the point if someone else can score 60 in that spot? Same idea here. Bert had a good run, but, he will always be the type of player people will have to scream about not looking at the stat sheet to defend. Better to have Ras, Mantha, Zadina, Nyquist, Vanek, Svech in that position, and let him play an energy/secondary scoring role.
Uggh.

He had a good run?
He will always be the type of player?

He has played 1 half of 1 rookie season.

Where is the typical "he's a young player. He is SURE to get better every year" that gets handed out to every other young player? Why is Bert's career already in decline?

Sorry he doesn't have enough sick between the leg dangles, but he is talented.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Nyquist: Reporting for duty, Coach! Ready for a great season! Just go ahead and staple me to Zetter...umm...uh...Coach? What line do I play on?

Blashill: Back on your old line with Hank...umm...uh...

Blashill: Aww crud, what the heck am I gonna do without a center to carry that sack of...I mean, to compliment Gus? Hmm...Oh yeah! Dylan! C'mere, I've got a surprise for you! Great idea I've been working on all summer... :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad