GDT: note@satans

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I've really been impressed with Berglund's overall game this season. He's going to have his point streaks and his droughts, but being better conditioned will make his droughts seem less bad as he is still playing quality hockey. He's quicker and much more physical. He probably won't ever get as physical as Hanzal, but if he can get closer to that level, then he can play that 3rd line center role perfectly.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
Great game to see last night. Blues had good energy throughout, and really should have won by a couple more. Both goalies were great and that 91 guy was pretty good, too. How the hell did Hitch not play him on the PP last year?

Vladi made a couple Datsyuk-ian pickpocket plays to start rushes...if he starts doing that stuff on a regular basis he's going to wind up one of the higher paid forwards in the league. Front office needs to start planning now.

Porter and Berglund had some interesting chemistry going in both games this weekend. Have we tried Schwartz with Bergy ever?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
All players do, look at Lundqvist, Rask, Price, look at Quick who didn't get his first road win till tonight. Look at Backes and Oshie do they get benched for for playing like crap? It's just crazy, Elliot has been playing great and there is still this chatter. Price gave up 5 again tonight, but I bet Habs fans aren't talking about this. Hell once again look at Backes and Oshie. If anyone deserves to be benched when they return it's Oshie, but not a peep about it. It's like some Blues fans just can't wait for our own team and starting goalie to have a bad game, so they can call for his head. But Oshie, he can stay one the first line(or go down to the 3rd whatever he'd still be playing) and play his way out of this terrible slump.

Philly even stuck with Mason, and he didn't even get his first win till tonight. But you just know, Elliot's first bad night and the talk for a change of starter is gonna start. The guy gets a ton of crap from every other fanbase, but he can't even get a break from his own fans. I will never get this.
What in the world...

You need to calm yourself down buddy. I never said I wanted Elliott to falter or anything of the sort. I never called for his head or projected him to lose the starting job. But the reality is, him and Allen are more of a 1A/1B tandem rather than your standard 1-2 that you have on other teams. The only ridiculous thing going on here is people acting like no matter how Elliott performs, Allen has no chance of stealing the starting job. He definitely has a chance. If Elliott falters and Allen plays well, why would you not play the hot hand?

And comparing Elliott to Backes and Oshie is one of the more asinine arguments you can make. There's just a BIT of a difference between the goalie and forwards....

Elliott is what he is - a good enough starting goalie. But Allen is the future and he will take over at some point. Maybe not this season, but just wait because he will. He has more talent.

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
Blues are fortunate to have both Allen and Elliot playing well. The goalies will continue to push each other to a higher level of play. Allen's .959 save percentage is bound to drop back to a realistic level as he faces more shots (only 97 at this point) and Elliot will benefit from not carrying the full workload.

I personally don't care who gets the majority of the starts. The most important thing is for both goalies to improve and perform at a high level in the playoffs.

FloridaBlue

Mar 9, 2014
Wildwood, MO
I think the thing that has some people upset about the goalie talk is that Elliott has been playing at essentially the same level as Allen and yet people are already talking about Allen taking over this season. How quickly we forget that Elliott shutout the defending Stanley Cup champs on the road.

Allen had what I thought was his best game yet last night. His positioning was exceptional and it seemed he saw the puck extremely well. Not to mention the highlight reel robbery.

Coming into the season Elliott was the number 1 starter and we were going to see what Allen was, whether it be a 2 or a 1B. I think we can all agree he's definitely the 1B. However, Elliott has done nothing to say he shouldn't still be the starter. Can Allen take over the starting job? Certainly. But to make statements like "Allen will be the starting goalie this season" is discrediting what Elliott is doing.

Also we all know this team will be judged by what is done in the playoffs. Elliott has that experience while Allen doesn't. To me Allen has to play obviously better than Elliott to take the starting job from him for the playoffs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think the thing that has some people upset about the goalie talk is that Elliott has been playing at essentially the same level as Allen and yet people are already talking about Allen taking over this season. How quickly we forget that Elliott shutout the defending Stanley Cup champs on the road.

Allen had what I thought was his best game yet last night. His positioning was exceptional and it seemed he saw the puck extremely well. Not to mention the highlight reel robbery.

Coming into the season Elliott was the number 1 starter and we were going to see what Allen was, whether it be a 2 or a 1B. I think we can all agree he's definitely the 1B. However, Elliott has done nothing to say he shouldn't still be the starter. Can Allen take over the starting job? Certainly. But to make statements like "Allen will be the starting goalie this season" is discrediting what Elliott is doing.

Also we all know this team will be judged by what is done in the playoffs. Elliott has that experience while Allen doesn't. To me Allen has to play obviously better than Elliott to take the starting job from him for the playoffs.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone making a simple prediction for a player, it happens all the time.

Of course it's all fine when someone projects Tarasenko to score 50, but man when a goalie is mentioned people get all defensive. Just because someone credits Allen doesn't at all mean they're discrediting Elliott.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Unless Elliott falls apart, Allen won't be the starter. As the poster above said, he has zero playoff experience. And he didn't do himself any favors in the AHL playoffs. Allen is our goalie of the Future, but the Blues will bring him in slow. Elliott will have some bad games, and Jake will be there to back him up and push him. All the great goalies have bad games and streaks. We should treat Elliott as the Starter this year and nothing else.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Unless Elliott falls apart, Allen won't be the starter. As the poster above said, he has zero playoff experience. And he didn't do himself any favors in the AHL playoffs. Allen is our goalie of the Future, but the Blues will bring him in slow. Elliott will have some bad games, and Jake will be there to back him up and push him. All the great goalies have bad games and streaks. We should treat Elliott as the Starter this year and nothing else.

Agreed. Obviously Allen will take over this team at some point but I don't think it will be this season.

This is a good problem to have though. Remember when people said we had a career backup and an unproven rookie so our goaltending was going to be the worst part about our team? It has ended up being one of the better parts of this team.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Honestly they seem like they are the same guy in the net. The one thing Allen has on Elliott, is his high level puck handling skills. Kids great with the puck, while Ells is more of a gong show.

Other than that, they are both playing great and should be perceived as an organizational strength!

Can't we just be happy we have 2 good goalie on great contracts and leave it at that?

I more worried about scoring, without Frank we lose the last 4 games, that's troubling.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Also a credit to our goalies is that the team in front of them has been putrid at times. Should put to bed that they are solely a product of the system. As hitch has said. This winning streak belongs to Elliott and Allen with a sprinkle of Lehteräsenko.

And by sprinkle I mean you accidentally opened the scoop side instead of the shaker side lolz

RR10*

I more worried about scoring, without Frank we lose the last 4 games, that's troubling.
I'm not actually. This team is built the way that we need to be healthy to be successfull in the long run. Which means that Stastny and Oshie needs to play for us to be successfull offensively. If some key players are out we lose what makes us great.

griff713

Mar 25, 2014
Rockland County NY
agreeing with a poster above, i'm more worried about scoring. yes tarsenko has been on a tear but can the rest of our team keep up the pace when he isn't? hopefully with stasny back that will continue and try to get oshie going more but overall the team is looking really solid imo

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues had their "B" game on the last 2 nights (due to injuries, majority of team coming off bacterial infection and last night playing their 3rd in 4). Looking forward to seeing them healthy and rested soon.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm somewhat worried about scoring.... Tarasenko can generate his own offense or feed off others. That ability is hard to stop. Plus....we can pass too :). Other teams are carried by a few players offensively, so no real cause for alarm yet.

As others said...there's that Stastny guy too. I've forgotten he plays for us a few times already

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
What in the world...

You need to calm yourself down buddy. I never said I wanted Elliott to falter or anything of the sort. I never called for his head or projected him to lose the starting job.

No I don't need to calm anything, the way Elliot has played there is no reason for speculation about when he loses the job.

But the reality is, him and Allen are more of a 1A/1B tandem rather than your standard 1-2 that you have on other teams.

That's funny, because when they re-signed Elliot it was reported he was signed with him being given the reigns to be our number one.

The only ridiculous thing going on here is people acting like no matter how Elliott performs, Allen has no chance of stealing the starting job. He definitely has a chance. If Elliott falters and Allen plays well, why would you not play the hot hand?

"No matter how Elliot performs" you mean exceptionally, because that's what he's done.

And comparing Elliott to Backes and Oshie is one of the more asinine arguments you can make. There's just a BIT of a difference between the goalie and forwards....

Don't see why it should matter what position a guy plays, if he sucks for a 10 game stretch.

Elliott is what he is - a good enough starting goalie. But Allen is the future and he will take over at some point. Maybe not this season, but just wait because he will. He has more talent.

Yeah I know that Allen is the goalie of the future, "future" being the key word. Elliot is the goalie of the present, and while he's playing the way he is there is no reason for any of this talk. Not when there are a few big pieces of our core playing the way they are. With scoring still being the biggest issue, you would think upgrades in that department would be the topic of discussion, over when Allen takes the starter job.

Last edited:

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

This is Exactly it.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Missed most of the game last night so I just got done watching it now. Man is Vladi a freaking monster. I know he had the games only goal but he could have easily had another hatty last night. Also it was a good sign that several other players had quality chances and Schneider just came up big.

Also I vote instead of making another GDT for the second of the home and home we just leave this open. Nothing is more half assed then not even bothering to differentiate the two games.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
All I'm going to say about the goalie situation is can't we all just get along? Remember when we wished for just one awesome goalie? Well now we have two! One of which we drafted and developed ourselves! :yo:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Missed most of the game last night so I just got done watching it now. Man is Vladi a freaking monster. I know he had the games only goal but he could have easily had another hatty last night. Also it was a good sign that several other players had quality chances and Schneider just came up big.

Also I vote instead of making another GDT for the second of the home and home we just leave this open. Nothing is more half assed then not even bothering to differentiate the two games.

that's walking a fine line between half-assed and zero-assed

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

You mean just add game 13 to the title and flip note@satans around lol, if everybody else doesn't mind I don't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad