GDT: note@satans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Missed most of the game last night so I just got done watching it now. Man is Vladi a freaking monster. I know he had the games only goal but he could have easily had another hatty last night. Also it was a good sign that several other players had quality chances and Schneider just came up big.

Also I vote instead of making another GDT for the second of the home and home we just leave this open. Nothing is more half assed then not even bothering to differentiate the two games.
That sir....is truly half ass effort. Partial thumb up

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
No I don't need to calm anything, the way Elliot has played there is no reason for speculation about when he loses the job.
I didn't speculate so try again.

That's funny, because when they re-signed Elliot it was reported he was signed with him being given the reigns to be our number one.
Wow no ****. They aren't just going to hand a goalie from the AHL the starting job...

"No matter how Elliot performs" you mean exceptionally, because that's what he's done.
And Allen has performed even better.

Don't see why it should matter what position a guy plays, if he sucks for a 10 game stretch.
You don't think there's a difference between a goalie absolutely sucking for 60 minutes a game vs. a right winger for 18 minutes? There's a huge difference in how each affects the game...

Yeah I know that Allen is the goalie of the future, "future" being the key word. Elliot is the goalie of the present, and while he's playing the way he is there is no reason for any of this talk. Not when there are a few big pieces of our core playing the way they are. With scoring still being the biggest issue, you would think upgrades in that department would be the topic of discussion, over when Allen takes the starter job.
Nope. When Allen plays as good as he has at this level, there is absolutely reason for this discussion because he'll pass Elliott sooner rather than later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Nope. When Allen plays as good as he has at this level, there is absolutely reason for this discussion because he'll pass Elliott sooner rather than later.
I'll be the first to admit that I've been extremely pleased with the way Allen has played, but let's be honest: Elliott has gotten the lion's share of the tough assignments so far. In addition, Allen has all of 20 games at the NHL level. It's pretty reasonable to be wary of saying that Allen will have taken over the reigns by the end of the season. Elliott has a lengthy track record of success with this team that should give him some rope.

For the record, I do believe this will be Allen's team very soon. I just don't see it being this year.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I didn't speculate so try again.

The only team Allen has faced that is considered a "top team" would be Anaheim. That's certainly an impressive feet to shut them out, however he has yet to face Chicago or LA. Both times the Blues have faced those opponents, Elliott was in goal and he managed to shutout the Kings and beat Chicago.

It's pure speculation at this point to say that Allen has played better than Elliott thus far. I guess it's a fair statement to say that Allen has played better against weaker opponents than Elliott, but that's about it.

No one here is saying that this team will never belong to Allen, and it may be his as soon as the All-Star break. However, saying Allen has performed better now is highly subjective.

FloridaBlue

Mar 9, 2014
Wildwood, MO
Another thing to keep in mind is that a LOT of the goals Elliott has given up have been while the Blues are on the PK. I, like most people, am not saying that Allen won't take over the starting duties at some point and I'm not going to argue that Allen doesn't have the talent because we all know he does. But my point is this: if Elliott's playing up to par (and beyond really), why discuss the idea of him losing his job? Why bother with it? As stated earlier, can't we all just enjoy the fact that we have 2 great goalies? They'll both get their fair share of starts this season.

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
Another thing to keep in mind is that a LOT of the goals Elliott has given up have been while the Blues are on the PK. I, like most people, am not saying that Allen won't take over the starting duties at some point and I'm not going to argue that Allen doesn't have the talent because we all know he does. But my point is this: if Elliott's playing up to par (and beyond really), why discuss the idea of him losing his job? Why bother with it? As stated earlier, can't we all just enjoy the fact that we have 2 great goalies? They'll both get their fair share of starts this season.

WHy hasn't the playing time been split up more evenly thus far?? Like 50/50 but right now it feels like 75/25 in favour of Elliott??

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
WHy hasn't the playing time been split up more evenly thus far?? Like 50/50 but right now it feels like 75/25 in favour of Elliott??

Because Elliott is good. He's more proven and got the starting job out of camp. It's perfectly reasonable for Elliott to have the starting job until Allen steals it away.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Also I vote instead of making another GDT for the second of the home and home we just leave this open. Nothing is more half assed then not even bothering to differentiate the two games.

SpectacularFineKudu.gif

:D

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Because Elliott is good. He's more proven and got the starting job out of camp. It's perfectly reasonable for Elliott to have the starting job until Allen steals it away.
I've been following Allen since we drafted him and have been a huge fan of his for years. I agree Elliott is currently the starter and Allen is the backup it may change into more of a split as the season goes on but I have no complaints taking it slowly with Allenas Elliott has performed very well for our team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Allen will be in goal Thursday. Stastny is to return in the next 2 day, and Oshie is broken.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Against 1 bad team AZ, 2 okay teams NJ & VAN (which he lost) and 1 good team ANA. Compared too NYR twice, LA, CHI, ANA & Dallas, wow would've thunk Allen would have better numbers against lesser opposition in half as many games played.

You don't think there's a difference between a goalie absolutely sucking for 60 minutes a game vs. a right winger for 18 minutes? There's a huge difference in how each affects the game...
Both have to play themselves out of the slump don't they, same set of principles should apply...

Unbelievable, Allen spends all of last season in the AHL, starts 4 games this season (2 SO's, 1 good game & 1 clunker) and we have reason for this discussion? Nope, no we don't.

Allen's a rookie who had a hot start, I hope he keeps it up, but I don't want a rookie being the starter in net. That's way to much pressure to put on a rookie, especially when it's completely unnecessary, let him grow into the role. Elliot has given up 9 even strength goals in 8 starts that's a 1.1 ES GAA. He shutout LA again this year, and kept the team in every game he has started. If after that you want to bench him because Allen has played 3 out of 4 good games...Well then, there is nothing else to say other than, it's not a very good idea to give a rookie goalie a starting role, and if you believe it is then I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I don't care which goalie plays if they both keep playing like they have. I think Allen has a higher ceiling though. Love his quickness, puck control and positioning. He's legit

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Allen will be in goal Thursday. Stastny is to return in the next 2 day, and Oshie is broken.

Awesome, maybe Stastny makes a big difference and gets some of our other core guys going. Also hoping Allen can keep this level of play going.

Do you guys think Oshie will be gone for November?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Awesome, maybe Stastny makes a big difference and gets some of our other core guys going. Also hoping Allen can keep this level of play going.

Do you guys think Oshie will be gone for November?

I would think so. If not I'm sure they would of said week to week. He's been off from day one, add in the concussion. Let him get fully healthy.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If Oshie really is out for an extended time, I really want to see them give Jaskin more responsibility.

I mentioned this in another thread. But if Jaskin still isn't sticking, I'd like Rattie to get a chance with Stastny.

Now that I think of it...wouldn't that require Oshie to go on I when Stastny comes off?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I mentioned this in another thread. But if Jaskin still isn't sticking, I'd like Rattie to get a chance with Stastny.

Now that I think of it...wouldn't that require Oshie to go on I when Stastny comes off?
Jaskin has looked good enough to me so far to get an extended look.

I do think Oshie will have to go on the IR in order to keep Jaskin up, but that shouldn't be a problem. They can just make it retroactive to his injury.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I do think Oshie will have to go on the IR in order to keep Jaskin up, but that shouldn't be a problem. They can just make it retroactive to his injury.
He's been hit or miss for me. He's either really noticeable or non existent. I only mention Rattie for the "offensive injection". I've only see Rattie a few times but he seems like the floaty seam finding sniper that people want to bring in. Might as well try an in house plug

Berglund - Backes - Jaskin is a meaty line.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He's been hit or miss for me. He's either really noticeable or non existent. I only mention Rattie for the "offensive injection". I've only see Rattie a few times but he seems like the floaty seam finding sniper that people want to bring in. Might as well try an in house plug

Berglund - Backes - Jaskin is a meaty line.
I need to watch Rattie a bit more, but what I saw in the preseason left me pretty unimpressed.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Yea he didn't have a good preseason.
Rattie would disappear in regular NHL play at this point. He needs to beef up and get significantly stronger to standup to the closer positioning, harder hitting faster closing of open ice areas, to have operating room to make offensive plays. He also needs to learn to play defence.

He'll have a chance to do that this season, and camp and pre-season next summer/early autumn. He's not ready to make an impact at this point.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

What about waiving Pajaarvi and allowing him to be claimed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad