Flyers' History: Nostalgia Thread

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
JJ Daignault was my favorite moment ever. I've realized every spring I'ved wanted to relive that moment. That;s how I became a big Flyers fan. It was a special time. I was 14, finishing 8th grade. Everyone in school was into it.
I was in tears at the end of game 7. If they ever do win a cup in my lifetime, I'll be thinking of that 1987 team.

2004 really was really tough for me too. It was the one season where I thought they were the best team in the league. And to lose to upstart team in Tampa was a tough pill to swallow. By 2004, that era of Flyers' teams had paid their dues. It should have been their season.

100% the same.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I just miss Flyers hockey with intensity.....since Berube things have gotten progressively bland to the point I barely can watch the game. My attention span is now relegated to spurts ...less than the attention span of a goldfish.

Yeah, we hoped that would end with Berube going, but Hakstol is just as big into the "no fun" thing.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
I just enjoyed the 1986-87 Flyers team the most. Not many teams have come close to that Blood, sweat and tears team/season....

The younger members of this board who were too young or not yet born would have loved that team. The 86-87 Flyers will always remain my favorite team. With the litany of injuries that team endured, any other team would have folded. Not the Flyers. Those players had pride, never quit and fought teams tooth and nail to the end. It took Edmonton, perhaps the greatest offensive team ever assembled, 7 games to beat the Flyers for the Cup. I believe to this day the Flyers would have won the Cup if there was not three off days between game 6 and game 7 because of a scheduled Bon Jovi concert in Edmonton. We had all the momentum from the Daigneault goal and the Oilers were reeling from blowing a 3-1 series lead. That extra day allowed the Oilers time to heal and regroup, while the Flyers were holed up in their hotel.

It would be great if the Flyers would honor those mid-80 teams today in some way. Keenan, Howe, Poulin, Propp, Kerr and the rest deserve another ovation. Those Flyers teams, not just the 86-87 squad, epitomized what it meant to be a Flyer. Sorry for the rambling.

Reactions: mja and magnumpi

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
My first diehard season was after the 06 lockout. For me, the best moments have mostly been play-offs, but there's been some smaller ones mixed in. In almost ascending order:

First up is a random one, my second live game in Philly and it's against my brother's Lightning team. An enjoyable night.

Damn it do I miss that team, Richie I love how he played, I feel like that was the last time this team played exciting, passionate hockey

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I cut my teeth on the 86-87 Flyers. I was ten. Was slightly paying attention to sports before that, mostly the Phils & Eagles & some Flyers, but I became a diehard hockey fan that year. I'll never forget that Edmonton already had the parade route planned for a game 6 victory and the classic "Sorry to rain on your parade" sign in the stands after JJ scored.

A couple of other great moments:

My brother and I went nuts when Hexy scored the playoff goal. We were allowed to stay up (we missed his regular season goal because...bedtime :rolleyes:) and just started running around the house like 2 complete idiots waking up our little sister.

This is the last time I think I was really euphoric over a series win. Still remember going completely nuts and running down to Frankford & Cottman to celebrate. The older you get, the less intense the joy is when your team wins something big, at least that's sadly been the case for me. Even the 08 Phils & last year's Eagles felt a bit anti-climactic in comparison. I'm hopeful that should the Flyers ever win the cup in my lifetime, that rush I experienced when I was younger will return. I might just weep.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
To me the Lindros years were the most exiting ones to watch but at the same time they were the worst years because we didn´t get our hands on the Cup. Even the Caps have finally made it with Ovechkin but of course we failed. Instead of having an era like the Pens with Lemieux / Jagr or Crosby all we managed is losing big time to NJ and Florida (!)
That didn´t taste bitter enough? How about being swept by Detroit then. The Avalanche winning a cup with the players of the Lindros trade didn´t make it feel any better.
I have the impression it has kind of cursed the organization since then.

I wouldn´t compare G to the dominance and overall impact of Lindros, but it seems as if another great Flyer won´t ever lift the Cup here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad