Flyers' History: Nostalgia Thread

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think the 86-87 team, and to a lesser extent, the 88-89 team (which was mediocre at best but went to Game 6 of the Wales Conference Finals) spoiled me. The Flyers had been a team (to that point) with a history of overachieving and beating more talented teams with heart and grit.

I'd give up a lot to have the Poulin-Propp-Howe-McCrimmon PK back.

During the Lindros era I felt that they were consistently outcoached by Detroit and New Jersey and never once beat a team with superior talent.

Chuck Downie

Filthy Blonde
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
I think the 86-87 team, and to a lesser extent, the 88-89 team (which was mediocre at best but went to Game 6 of the Wales Conference Finals) spoiled me. The Flyers had been a team (to that point) with a history of overachieving and beating more talented teams with heart and grit.

During the Lindros era I felt that they were consistently outcoached by Detroit and New Jersey and never once beat a team with superior talent.

Hextall / Laforest goaltending duo was my favourite.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
To me the Lindros years were the most exiting ones to watch but at the same time they were the worst years because we didn´t get our hands on the Cup. Even the Caps have finally made it with Ovechkin but of course we failed. Instead of having an era like the Pens with Lemieux / Jagr or Crosby all we managed is losing big time to NJ and Florida (!)
That didn´t taste bitter enough? How about being swept by Detroit then. The Avalanche winning a cup with the players of the Lindros trade didn´t make it feel any better.
I have the impression it has kind of cursed the organization since then.

I wouldn´t compare G to the dominance and overall impact of Lindros, but it seems as if another great Flyer won´t ever lift the Cup here.
Happy thoughts. Go have some hot coco, put a bit of whiskey in it.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

1997 - they were heading into a buzzsaw.
Detroit was on a mission that season after years of not meeting expectations and terrible playoff defeats. I believe the turning point for them was a regular season game against Colorado. Their was a huge brawl involving Darren Mccarty beating Claude Lemiuex's ass. I think that game changed their mentality. By the time the SCF rolled around they were a machine.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
1997 - they were heading into a buzzsaw.
Detroit was on a mission that season after years of not meeting expectations and terrible playoff defeats. I believe the turning point for them was a regular season game against Colorado. Their was a huge brawl involving Darren Mccarty beating Claude Lemiuex's ass. I think that game changed their mentality. By the time the SCF rolled around they were a machine.
I agree, the rules being different now, no two-line passes allowed, really just changed the dynamic. They effectively played keep away and moved in a manner with crisp passes that they weren't stationary objects for the Flyers to abuse dump'n'chase style. The Flyers could never line them up with decent straight-line speed, because Detroit just passed the puck too quickly, had structured zone coverage that's wasn't necessarily, "trappy".

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Those Lavy teams were the comeback kings! They could come back from any deficit.

that's because Lavy is one of the best coaches there is when it comes to motivating players. he would tear a strip off the team if they were losing. he was always great for getting them going.

whereas our current coach is like a zombie. zero emotion.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
Those late 80s teams were always my favorite!!! Watching these videos I forgot how much I loved the 80s/90s Flyers jerseys; definitely hope they make a return some day ... perhaps as a template for the Stadium Series game.

This is one of the biggest goals of late. Had tickets to the game but had to sell them because of a change in my work schedule. I long for the excitement I had for that team. Hope it will return soon!

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree, the rules being different now, no two-line passes allowed, really just changed the dynamic. They effectively played keep away and moved in a manner with crisp passes that they weren't stationary objects for the Flyers to abuse dump'n'chase style. The Flyers could never line them up with decent straight-line speed, because Detroit just passed the puck too quickly, had structured zone coverage that's wasn't necessarily, "trappy".
The left wing lock......it immobilized the Flyers. I remember reading Lindros' lips one play in that series where as he changed shifts he frustratingly said to Leclair on the bench..."I can't get any space out there." And this from a dude who could make his own space more often than not....

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Those late 80s teams were always my favorite!!! Watching these videos I forgot how much I loved the 80s/90s Flyers jerseys; definitely hope they make a return some day ... perhaps as a template for the Stadium Series game.

This is one of the biggest goals of late. Had tickets to the game but had to sell them because of a change in my work schedule. I long for the excitement I had for that team. Hope it will return soon!

How can you listen to this and think Jim Jackson is good at his job in any way???

Reactions: Icedog2735

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
What a great video. That was a ****in team man.
Kerr was my favorite player...went to Tim Kerr camp in HS and was awestruck the whole time learning from him. He taught me my wrist shot which my friends used to refer to me as the master blaster..lol. Kerr took so much abuse in the front of the net...hence his shoulder injuries. Still the dude was a machine in front on the PP especially. Leclair of course was the closest player to Kerr and was great in his own right. We need gritty players like those two again...not just a mascot named gritty...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->