Pre-Game Talk: Northeast Champions!! Bring on the Sens!!

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
The only thing that the Sens really have over us is a proven defensive game. But they've had to play that style as Spezza, Anderson and Karlsson were injured. I'm sure Karlsson will provide a lot of help both on offense and defense. Last year, he wasn't a huge factor vs the Rangers, he might have learned a thing or two.

Our main concern imo would be our defense. Most of the games we've lost was because our players weren't properly covering their opponents. If we can manage to tighten up that side of our game, I don't see us having much trouble that we can't deal with in this series.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I thought about that, but White's been good on faceoffs too this year, so I can't pick one over the other for that reason. I actually checked the stats and Halpern is only ahead of White by 2%. It's a difference, but not a monstrous one.

The advantage Halpern brings is he is a very efficient defensive zone player. Having him in the lineup give the team a spare Done line to throw out there if the Send gain a matchup advantage and send one of their offensive lines out for a draw.

Ottawa has a pair of sift minutes offensive lines in Zibanejad and Pageau (4th line) right now so Halpern is a good counter to their 4th line and Otto's preferred line strategy.

Send white as a winger in place of Moen or Armstrong if you need another fighter/body checker.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't know why so many people look at us as underdogs. Sure, the Sens aren't normal 7th seed competitors, but we won the ****ing division. To beat the Sens, we just need to tighten up defensively. We have the edge on offense, if we can rattle Anderson early and tighten up defensively, we'll be fine.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I don't know why so many people look at us as underdogs. Sure, the Sens aren't normal 7th seed competitors, but we won the ****ing division. To beat the Sens, we just need to tighten up defensively. We have the edge on offense, if we can rattle Anderson early and tighten up defensively, we'll be fine.
The amusing thing is. People are saying we have all the pressure is on our shoulders for finishing 2nd. Fine. But Sens should have some pressure too. Clearly they showed they were an excellent team to still be here after all that's happened.

They make it sound like the Sens are the underdog. But then they go on to say how they're better than us in most aspects of the game. And that it would be an upset for them to beat us. Then they mostly chose the Sens to win the series...

Lunacy... Let them say what ever they will... I'd rather win the series and move on.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
But White's been a negative factor more often than not this season, and Halpern is far superior on the PK and in his own zone. Can't say I agree with it either. They could've replaced White with Moen.

...as opposed to White, the positive factor? White has either been a non-factor or a detriment, so I don't see how one can make that argument.

I prefer Halpern's experience and the fact that I don't have to worry about him possibly costing his team the game as soon as Chris Neil looks at him the wrong way.

I prefer White's younger legs and physical side on a 4th line against Ottawa with Neil and Smith playing on the same line. Sure, there's the chance he may go bat**** insane again, but it's a risk I am willing to take if the upside is his game on Saturday in Toronto.

I dunno, maybe I'm being too harsh on Halpern, but to me it felt like he was basically filling out a jersey during the slump and bringing nothing tangible aside from FO prowess after a strong 2-3 weeks when he joined us.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The amusing thing is. People are saying we have all the pressure is on our shoulders for finishing 2nd. Fine. But Sens should have some pressure too. Clearly they showed they were an excellent team to still be here after all that's happened.

They make it sound like the Sens are the underdog. But then they go on to say how they're better than us in most aspects of the game. And that it would be an upset for them to beat us. Then they mostly chose the Sens to win the series...

Lunacy... Let them say what ever they will... I'd rather win the series and move on.

Plus the obligatory 'Erik Karlsson > everyone' posts I've been seeing on the main boards.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Plus the obligatory 'Erik Karlsson > everyone' posts I've been seeing on the main boards.

I think that's mostly sarcasm mixed with some trolling. Just to hype up some rivalry and hate.

In my honest opinion, Karlsson is an incredible player. Last year's playoffs, the Rangers manage to make him a near none factor. I'm sure MT will have somebody cover Karlsson all series long.

The kid has put up and shown serious skills. Got to give credit where it's due. And he had he played a full season, he most probably would have gotten another Norris. All things considered, he's more rounded for that trophy. They are both gifted and contribute in the same manner on the team, but in different fashions. Meanwhile Subban has been constantly improving and showing a lot of potential when our team sucked.

Even though I believe Karlsson will be a better player, I don't think he'll be an enormous factor jut yet. He will help boost their team's offense, that's for sure. Yet, it takes more than one player to win a series.

Rah514

Jul 5, 2011
Montreal, QC
Prust played well on Karlsson when the Rangers faced the Sens, or so the media has said a few times but I did not see that series so I'm just going by what they said.

Certainly, it's perplexing to hear them say how Ottawa can take out the Habs but then that MTL is the favorite when very few people are picking them.

Isn't the favorite the team which more people think will win?

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I have a GUT feeling that Ryder will be an important factor in this serie. I believe he plays well againts the Sens and will blast couple of Goals past Anderson!

He is and always has been a gamebreaker, but the Kovy type. He will either suck balls, be slow and neutralise the momentum of Plek's line or he will make the big play to wrist the type of shots that no goalie can save, including Vezina-if not injured- Anderson.

I'm really hoping that we see the Moen we had. He was huge for us in the playoffs in the past. REDEMPTION TIME TRAVIS

I expect Moen to play at 200% of what he played this season.

I do too. I think he got the message and we'll see him with Neil, not just Prust. He'll also do the little things right, but I do think he got the message. This is the playoffs, I doubt he wants to coast anymore.

I'd rather have Dumont than both of them anyway (Halpern & White).

I absolutely love Dumont. It's like our 4th line is clogged. Funny situation. If I knew for sure that Ryder would be crap, I would put Dumont on that line. Obviously we can't know when Ryder will magically show up.

Prust played well on Karlsson when the Rangers faced the Sens, or so the media has said a few times but I did not see that series so I'm just going by what they said.

I remember that series VERY well, watched every game and Prust was awesome for NYR. The fans loved him for his work in that series. He can really change l'allure d'un match. I don't remember him really neutralizing Karlsson since that wasn't his job, but he created trouble for them.

I'm actually more concerned with guys like Silfverberg and Zibanejad, maybe Condra too. They've been playing very well and Silfverberg has one hell of a shot and a great release - I hope our coaches have been doing their scouting. Alfie is a perpetual threat, but without Spezza, I think if we tire him out, we can neutralize him. Carey need to be prepared for those near side top corner tricky shots (like the one Alfie score one him this year).

I actually don't think Turris is very good, despite his stats. Every time I've watched the sens I've noticed how easily he can be neutralized. Good shot, but he needs to get close enough to get it off.

Gonchar is their Markov. (Though I think Marky is better and hopefully rested - god damn b2b games:rant:)

As much as I loved our 4th line against Tor with White playing awesome, we need Halpern in the FO dot. That's why we got him. If MT need to send someone out to win the FO and Halpern isn't there, I don't know how we will live with the decision to not have him in. He's also an excellent player in his role.

So...what's this I hear about Emelin? Could he have had the same miraculous recovery/bs exaggeration of his injury like son of Pernell Karl? EK honestly looks like he should join the Swedish House Mafia with the amount of hype he gets for doing nothing (and dresses accordingly). Actually that's not fair, making DJ culture into clapping your hands and waving to a pre-recorded set is egregious. Karlsson is at LEAST more deserving of his media- and fan-gasms.

Last edited:

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
I wonder how strong Karlsson's Achilles' is. If he gets a Subban shot right in the back of the foot, will it hold up? Everyone else gets stung and limps after one, but how about a freshly healed tendon?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Courtesy of a fan from another site, Habs4Life:

3052342_zps7d112eab.gif

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The DB effect isn't because of the women... it's the yankees hat and the mafia tshirt..... DB uniform right there.. I apologize in advance to anyone with a Don Corleone tshirt... but trust me.. you gotta earn the right to put yourself in the same league as DON CORLEONE man.
Got it all straight. Top 10 best DB outfit right there. Like his defense.
So he's with a couple of nice-looking women? Big deal. Sorry, I just don't get the Sena-hate. Sure, Karlsson's name has been all over this board like a case of head-lice, but it's no different than the endless threads about dozens of other top players, including Habs. I'll hate the guy when he does something hateful; until then I plan to enjoy watching him play. As to the Ottawa fans, they seem like slightly milder, less emotional versions of us. I'm not getting a hate vibe and don't see the point in lobbing a hate vibe back at them. I'm too old for that sh**.

You're too old to know what a real DB is, then. I envy you.

Karlsson had 1 goal in 7 games last spring. 0 assists. So clearly the NYR did something well.

He was the best player in that series, so they say.

TheDamned

"Only in Montréal"
Aug 5, 2005
Montréal
Cant believe most of the habs nation thinks we are gonna win this series.

I say Sens in 5 or 6.

Sens are a way better team than most blinded habs fan think.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can we somehow get Matt Cooke for this series?:)

Nah, he's too busy slicing prosciutto off other players' ankles.

"200 grams, sliced thin please. We need them for lunches." :D

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Not true. This mythology is only an inundation of homey predictions from the Toronto-centric sports media.

The reality is looking at how the experts rank teams. Who are they, you ask? The gamblers, of course.

Vegas has the Habs at 10 - 1 to win the Cup. Senatrons at 40 - 1.

They always predict better than the pundits in the long run. Always.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad