Series Talk: North Division Round 1: Leafs (1) vs. Canadiens (4)

Series Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Without Nash while inserting Galchenyuk in the lineup, this is what I assume the next strongest lineup would be:

Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

Still a very strong playoff lineup. So I consider Nash taking Galchenyuk's spot. My opinion of course. Keefe may have other ideas.
hyman too good to be on third line. He’s proved to be on either first or second line. We need his toughness and grinding to get guys the puck. Hes the best on the team to do it.
Keefe makimg yhe right moves. Lets see how it works out. He can always adjust

Reactions: Coachcorner

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
It was only 2 games I think, but I didn't love 71-91-88 based on the eye-test. Regardless, if Danault is going to be all over Matthews, Tavares' line can't fail.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Nothing like experimenting with lines and inserting a brand new player for the first game of a series. Ffs Keefe. We better score some goals and prove this experimentation accurate.
Keefe was impressed watching Nash shut down our premier players last playoff/qualifier. He wants Nash in

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Keefe was impressed watching Nash shut down our premier players last playoff/qualifier. He wants Nash in

Yup:

Defensive numbers for Nash were pretty sick last year against the Leafs:

Nash 5v5:
TOI: 62:52
Shots against/60: 27.15
High Danger Chances Against/60: 4.66
xGA/60: 1.45

Rest of team (Dont feel like doing exact math so gonna get really close approx):

Rest of team:
TOI: 210ish minutes
Shots against/60: 34.40+
High Danger Chances Against/60: 12.00+
xGA/60: 2.30+

Columbus got destroyed defensively 5v5 without Nash on the ice.

Doesnt create anything offensively but sucks the life right outta teams scoring ability.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yup:

Defensive numbers for Nash were pretty sick last year against the Leafs:

Nash 5v5:
TOI: 62:52
Shots against/60: 27.15
High Danger Chances Against/60: 4.66
xGA/60: 1.45

Rest of team (Dont feel like doing exact math so gonna get really close approx):

Rest of team:
TOI: 210ish minutes
Shots against/60: 34.40+
High Danger Chances Against/60: 12.00+
xGA/60: 2.30+

Columbus got destroyed defensively 5v5 without Nash on the ice.

Doesnt create anything offensively but sucks the life right outta teams scoring ability.
I'm just wondering who Nash's most common opponents were? If he was facing the bottom 6 rather than the Matthews/JT lines that would be important

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Last year's cup winners could have done exactly what your wanting, the didn't which is why the won last season
Not even close to same situation imho. Tampa made it to the Conference finals the year prior. Leafs didn't make the playoffs last year and haven't been out of the first round in the Matthews era.

Injuries aside there are 0 excuses. Heads will deservedly roll if they can't get past Montreal

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I watched the condensed games of the series aganst Columbus. You are hard pressed to see #20 (Nash) in the highights. In fact I went back and watched the Tampa-CBJ series highlights and saw #20 maybe 5 times in those 4 highlight packages. One time was when he scored a nice goal. The thing is, these highlight packages aren't just goals, they show high danger chances, close calls, hits PP etc. The fact Nash averaged 15 minutes a game and scarcely shows up in these videos is telling. He was -1, but I couldnt find the goal he was on for, maybe he just stepped on the ice.

Last edited:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I watched the condensed games of the series aganst Columbus. You are hard pressed to see #20 (Nash) in the highights. In fact I went back and watched the Tampa-CBJ series highlights and saw #20 maybe 5 times in those 4 highlight packages. One time was when he scored a nice goal. The thing is, these highlight packages aren't just goals, they show high danger chances, close calls, hits PP etc. The fact Nash averaged 15 minutes a game and scarcely shows up in these videos is telling. He was -1, but I couldnt find the goal he was on for, maybe he just stepped on the ice.

Fantastic. Exactly what we need

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
Why didn’t Nash play any late regular season games? I know he had a injury but did it keep him out right to the end?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Man watching the playoffs and waiting for our series sucks.

One thing though that I’m confident in watching the games so far, we can totally beat these teams...

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Why didn’t Nash play any late regular season games? I know he had a injury but did it keep him out right to the end?
They are doing the same exact thang the lighting did with kucherov and stamkos right now sire. Our Nash and Hyman will kill-a-lot in the playffs too sire. In fact, Hyman will be a key player like kucherov is, also because he rested fully before our fool games. Also with nash, they wanted the same thang sire. Nash now, will use his body to the fullest, like it was his last cup run. He will put everythang in jeopardy, even his own blood. Y'all see and learn soon sire. This'll be so much fun. We are so much more stronger, richer and powerful the habs are.................... They ain't got our personel, money and power. They weak. Worse than us. We are the ones prevailing and moving on. So enjoy, see the blood and flesh of the flesh. This'll be it for US sire.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Game 4 in the 2018 Leafs- Bruins series, Bergeron was out with an injury. They still went on to win the game. Who replaced Bergeron on the top line? Riley Nash. He got 19 minutes of ice time that game and none of our big guns scored.

It's a stretch to say he'll be a difference-maker, but someone to trust with leftover minutes is huge. Especially if we don't have last change and Mcdavid comes on the ice.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto

Finally the coaching staff stopped the MORONIC stack the PP BS. GOOD!

Nylander and Tavares were wasted on that PP unit.

Good to see Sandin running the Matthews unit. No more Marner/Rielly BULLSHIT

I would even take Rielly off the 2nd PP too. Go with 5 forwards if you have to.

Reactions: Budz

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Man watching the playoffs and waiting for our series sucks.

One thing though that I’m confident in watching the games so far, we can totally beat these teams...

I don't mind seeing other teams beat up on each other first.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Watching the Tampa/Florida game. The intensity level is through the roof. Not sure our guys are up for something like that.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Finally the coaching staff stopped the MORONIC stack the PP BS. GOOD!

Nylander and Tavares were wasted on that PP unit.

Good to see Sandin running the Matthews unit. No more Marner/Rielly BULLSHIT

I am happy that they are getting Rielly away from Marner and on a unit that will allow him to do something useful for once. Rielly, Nylander, and Tavares can do some damage together.

Marner unit needs Marner to improve or for the dynamic to change to get the puck away from him as much as possible. The book is to smother Marner and he will just give the puck up, or pass it back to the point. Changing the point is not going to make a difference if the play always dies on Marner's stick.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am happy that they are getting Rielly away from Marner and on a unit that will allow him to do something useful for once. Rielly, Nylander, and Tavares can do some damage together.

Marner unit needs Marner to improve or for the dynamic to change to get the puck away from him as much as possible. The book is to smother Marner and he will just give the puck up, or pass it back to the point. Changing the point is not going to make a difference if the play always dies on Marner's stick.

I dont know man. Sandin doesnt shy away from taking a slap shot, can make a feed on teh backhand and has a much higher IQ than Rielly IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad