Series Talk: North Division Round 1: Leafs (1) vs. Canadiens (4)

Series Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Nash is great in theory against a team like Edmonton. Against a team that has strong defense but little offense, taking Galchenyuk out for Nash makes little sense

I'd like to see Galchenyuk too, Leafs have decided on balance in the lineup. As theories go, it's one I subscribe to as well.

If Gally could improve his two way game, and I saw signs of it: he could yet be a key contributer this playoffs. Or, of course, injuries occur. I'd still prefer him over Engvall.

Shutdown lines make all the difference for a team when it already has the scoring prowess. It's about winning the +/- battle with each line, so, if this line can score a couple while giving up nothing against opponents top lines, it's a major positive Expected Value return.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'd like to see Galchenyuk too, Leafs have decided on balance in the lineup. As theories go, it's one I subscribe to as well.

If Gally could improve his two way game, and I saw signs of it: he could yet be a key contributer this playoffs. Or, of course, injuries occur. I'd still prefer him over Engvall.

Shutdown lines make all the difference for a team when it already has the scoring prowess. It's about winning the +/- battle with each line, so, if this line can score a couple while giving up nothing against opponents top lines, it's a major positive Expected Value return.
Thats expecting a lot. If your line is giving up nothing playing against the opposition top line. That is "Generational D" you don't have to score a single point.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Thats expecting a lot. If your line is giving up nothing playing against the opposition top line. That is "Generational D" you don't have to score a single point.

Nash last year against us in the play-in series averaged over 14 min. a game, often against our top line, and he finished -1 in the series.

That's his game. Invaluable when the big chips are in the middle

Reactions: Confucius

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Yup the patience with some is funny the core is so young still look what a young Tampa team went through in there early years. Fans like that should honestly cheer for Montreal they love trading their game breakers and settling for mediocrity. Winning a round here and there with BargainBin as their GM

People are quick to forget Stamkos & Hedman were drafted over a decade ago. Just keep adding and adding pieces, no need to panic and blow up anything

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I was just being nit-picky. I have a pet peeve about people misusing specifically-defined terms like GTA. If you said Toronto-area, I might've commented on it being a pretty big area and probably especially called out Sudbury and would've called out Sudbury even if you had said "southern Ontario".

And I deserve to get called out for getting Thornton wrong -- I knew it was St. Thomas so I don't know why I looked up the distance to London.

I think I mainly mentioned Hutton, because I was surprised to discover he was from Brockville, which is also where I was born and grew up.
Lol no hard feelings my guy

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I'm not a huge fan of the bottom 6, especially how slow that 4th line is gonna be. I really liked the impact Brooks had with Thornton and Spezza. More then the impact Simmonds has had, but we will need Simmonds to straighten out Josh Anderson when he starts taking runs at our guys.
I honestly think this line comes alive in the playoffs. Guys who will play tough. Loads of experience. Will communicate tons with one another. And all hometown boys that want it bad...real bad. I think this line could really gel come playoffs

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
In the last 25 games, he's 5th on the team in 5v5 goals and points

He's also taken a bunch of penalties and still is pretty horrid defensively. I know his line has had solid xG numbers but I'm almost certain that's more to do with 91 and 88.

I keep going back to this article by Bourne: What Leafs' Galchenyuk can do better to stay in lineup come playoffs

Galchenyuk has some awful habits that need much more time to eradicate. Don't trust him at all defensively.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Every year I get nervous watching the start of other series', thinking we don't have the same ability to dial it up.

Game 1 can't come fast enough.
Definitely had some of those same vibes watching the Caps and Bruins last night. That was a heavy hitting affair. Watching the Pens and Isles today I felt much better as that was kind of a snooze fest.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nash isn’t taking Galchenyuk’s spot, Hyman is.

Nash is taking Engvall’s spot.

Without Nash while inserting Galchenyuk in the lineup, this is what I assume the next strongest lineup would be:

Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

Still a very strong playoff lineup. So I consider Nash taking Galchenyuk's spot. My opinion of course. Keefe may have other ideas.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Without Nash while inserting Galchenyuk in the lineup, this is what I assume the next strongest lineup would be:

Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

Still a very strong playoff lineup. So I consider Nash taking Galchenyuk's spot. My opinion of course. Keefe may have other ideas.

We’ve seen situations where we get a lead and when the opposition starts to press (i.e., score effects) and we play risk averse hockey, we’re unable to slow the game down. The opposition is able to force high event hockey which increases odds of a comeback.

Our best defensive options without nash were also our best offensive options, but you want to be resting them when you’re defending a lead so that you can double shift them when you’re climbing out of a hole.

Having Nash creates a forward line option that can eat large amounts of defensive responsibility to let us double shift guys like Matthews and Marner when we need a goal.

Giving Keefe the option to play the top line more 5v5 early in the game seems like a better benefit to the team than shuffling around the grit so we can get a sidecar offensive forward on the Tavares line.

Reactions: Atomos2

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
What an exciting time. This is going to be a tough series and a Habs team with relaxed officiating and Weber, Gallagher and Price back will be all we can handle, if we can handle them

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
What an exciting time. This is going to be a tough series and a Habs team with relaxed officiating and Weber, Gallagher and Price back will be all we can handle, if we can handle them
The Habs are not a good team. They were 24th last year and 18th this year.

In a 7 game series there is no excuse not to win this one.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
We’ve seen situations where we get a lead and when the opposition starts to press (i.e., score effects) and we play risk averse hockey, we’re unable to slow the game down. The opposition is able to force high event hockey which increases odds of a comeback.

Our best defensive options without nash were also our best offensive options, but you want to be resting them when you’re defending a lead so that you can double shift them when you’re climbing out of a hole.

Having Nash creates a forward line option that can eat large amounts of defensive responsibility to let us double shift guys like Matthews and Marner when we need a goal.

Giving Keefe the option to play the top line more 5v5 early in the game seems like a better benefit to the team than shuffling around the grit so we can get a sidecar offensive forward on the Tavares line.

If Nash plays up to expectations then yea for sure. That would definitely be more favourable. Having confidence in the Nash line especially if the games get chippy.

Mine is more of a contingency lineup in the event Price is playing like the Columbus goalies of last year and no matter what the Leafs do, we can't buy a goal. Or if Nash doesn't play to expectations. It all depends on what game 1 turns into. I'm really curious to see how Price plays.

Maybe its bad memories of last years play in round but I've been focusing more on goaltending lately.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If Nash plays up to expectations then yea for sure. That would definitely be more favourable. Having confidence in the Nash line especially if the games get chippy.

Mine is more of a contingency lineup in the event Price is playing like the Columbus goalies of last year and no matter what the Leafs do, we can't buy a goal. Or if Nash doesn't play to expectations. It all depends on what game 1 turns into. I'm really curious to see how Price plays.

Maybe its bad memories of last years play in round but I've been focusing more on goaltending lately.

Yea got it. If Canadiens manage to find a couple of matchups to stifle our top lines offensively, we’ll want to bring in Galchenyuk at some point. Hell even a hail mary in Robertson if we’re in game 4 looking for our first win after 3 1-0 losses.

Reactions: Atomos2

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
for the first time I am hoping the Leafs lose in the playoffs. It would be brutal waiting all this time for a Cup and the year they finally win it there are no fans cheering and they don't even get a parade.

what?

They can easily do the parade before the next season begins. by that time most of Canadians would be vaccinated.

Cup win is important! Why would say a thing like that? Every Leaf fan is still watching and cheering the team on. COME ON MAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->