Series Talk: North Division Round 1: Leafs (1) vs. Canadiens (4)

Series Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Not sure why Keefe made the Foligno switch to the second line. The guy was on fire with points in 4 straight with Matthews and Marner before his injury. Plus he is a serious physical deterrent for people taking runs at his linemates, he’s one of the better fighters in the league, take a look at his fights on YouTube, there are plenty and he wins most.

fighting does not deter rats. it just does not, this is purely fantasy.

even if it did, you don’t have to have a fighter on a line with the person you want to protect from rats. as coach you can just put them on in a later shift.

it is layers of pure nonsensical fantasy that suggests that you need foligno on a certain line because he fights.

you ice players for how they play hockey together. hyman has produced quite well with matthews/marner too, and is our 2nd best forward at being the first to the puck and keeping possession (Matthews is best). so you want that with your best offensive players if the other lines are firing.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011

even if it did, you don’t have to have a fighter on a line with the person you want to protect from rats. as coach you can just put them on in a later shift.

it is layers of pure nonsensical fantasy that suggests that you need foligno on a certain line because he fights.

you ice players for how they play hockey together. hyman has produced quite well with matthews/marner too, and is our 2nd best forward at being the first to the puck and keeping possession (Matthews is best). so you want that with your best offensive players if the other lines are firing.
Disagree (at least in the example I am using). Foligno isn’t a goon and playing on the fourth line fighting other goons; I’d assume that is the what you are referring to. You seem quite passionate in this stance. To me it is very simple; throw a cheap shot on Marner and you have a player nobody wants to tangle with (Foligno) punching your face. Players are very aware of who is on the ice. it seems illogical to me to assume that it isn’t even slightly a deterrent. You present your view like it is a fact and it simply isn’t, it’s your opinion as is mine.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Disagree (at least in the example I am using). Foligno isn’t a goon and playing on the fourth line fighting other goons; I’d assume that is the what you are referring to. You seem quite passionate in this stance. To me it is very simple; throw a cheap shot on Marner and you have a player nobody wants to tangle with (Foligno) punching your face. Players are very aware of who is on the ice. it seems illogical to me to assume that it isn’t even slightly a deterrent. You present your view like it is a fact and it simply isn’t, it’s your opinion as is mine.

I think it’s more illogical to think that a 6’0 190-210lb professional athlete who has been battling in professional hockey since he was a teenager is going to not do his job he gets paid millions for and play playoff hockey with an edge because big scary foligno might untuck his jersey and hug him down to the ice.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Keefe was impressed watching Nash shut down our premier players last playoff/qualifier. He wants Nash in
Sure. Also true, it may take him some time to find his game, so there’s a bit of risk putting him in the three hole, cold. It’s something to watch that’s for sure.

Reactions: Nylander88

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Seeing some of the Tampa Florida game, you really miss the crowds... Playoffs just don't feel nearly the same without them imo. Sucks the North division will never have any fans throughout the playoffs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

All that said Wayner will join line very quickly in period 1 if Habs D start to cross check to injure Matty .. it is not about anyone not doing their jobs and Habs know their only shot to win is to do damage to Matty and hope Price steals a couple .. refs always throw whistle away in pro hockey in playoffs unless you stop a great chance with a penalty, cut someone or puck goes over glass .. cross checks to spine/back won't get called .. you have to play through that stuff .. it is let da players decide games for themselves mentality .. it is how game has been managed in playoffs for over a hundred years .. with Wayner on his line Matty can push back at Weber and that is all Wayner needs .. it will be over fast with 2 rights and a knockout .. more likely Weber will turtle away and try to look at scoreboard .. Edmundson then likely will go later in game .. either way it sends a message to both Habs D and da ref in game that we will not tolerate intent to injure

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Never can as a leafs fan

Yeah I'm hoping we'll begin a new era where we don't think like that but then again, we've been on the verge of that for some time now and can't seem to get there. Those Boston losses were hard to take, up 3-2 in round one, just had to win one damn game to get there and not only did we fail to do it, we got humiliated 5-1 in game 7. And the other time all we had to do was hold on to a lead for one period and instead, we got toasted 4-0 in that period. And then our zillion dollar offence couldn't score against CLB, getting shut out in the deciding game was embarrassing. It's like we're a good team, play well in the regular season for the most part, in the playoffs again we show that we can compete but when it gets to that deciding game/period, we don't just lose, we just get destroyed. So it's hard to blame any Leaf fan who has the "show me" attitude, I feel a bit of it myself.

I do feel pretty good about beating MTL, if we fail to do that than ... ahh never mind, let's not go there. But then it gets much tougher after that ... we'll see.

Seeing some of the Tampa Florida game, you really miss the crowds... Playoffs just don't feel nearly the same without them IMO. Sucks the North division will never have any fans throughout the playoffs.

Yeah not having the crowds is a huge disadvantage for us (assuming we get that far). I can imagine what it will be like for a Canadian team, hearing the fans go nuts on the road and them coming home to a quiet, empty building. Sucks big time!

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Leafs in 5 seems most likely. There are no signs that Campbell will suddenly crumble in the playoffs and have the pressure get to him. The momentum is on our side due to the hype surrounding this team alone. We have not been a favorite in the playoffs for a long time.

As for the leafs being able to handle playoff intensity, well having no fans will benefit us IMO, and we know we can out battle a time like MTL.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Yeah I'm hoping we'll begin a new era where we don't think like that but then again, we've been on the verge of that for some time now and can't seem to get there. Those Boston losses were hard to take, up 3-2 in round one, just had to win one damn game to get there and not only did we fail to do it, we got humiliated 5-1 in game 7. And the other time all we had to do was hold on to a lead for one period and instead, we got toasted 4-0 in that period. And then our zillion dollar offence couldn't score against CLB, getting shut out in the deciding game was embarrassing. It's like we're a good team, play well in the regular season for the most part, in the playoffs again we show that we can compete but when it gets to that deciding game/period, we don't just lose, we just get destroyed. So it's hard to blame any Leaf fan who has the "show me" attitude, I feel a bit of it myself.

I do feel pretty good about beating MTL, if we fail to do that than ... ahh never mind, let's not go there. But then it gets much tougher after that ... we'll see.

Yeah not having the crowds is a huge disadvantage for us (assuming we get that far). I can imagine what it will be like for a Canadian team, hearing the fans go nuts on the road and them coming home to a quiet, empty building. Sucks big time!

Game 6 was the spirit killer in 2019, my goodness. That was our chance, game 6. We battled and gave a fantastic effort in the first 5 games, then our compete level dropped off to 50% in those last two games. But people will blame Freddy first still

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
It’s so annoying that we have to wait til Thursday to start because Sportsnet wants to show the dumpster bowl three times

Reactions: supermann_98

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
It’s so annoying that we have to wait til Thursday to start because Sportsnet wants to show the dumpster bowl three times

Both upcoming Canucks/Flames games start mid afternoon and would have no influence on a Montreal/Toronto 7pm start.

Reactions: Rob Brown

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
The narrative that the leafs and their fan base should be terrified of the big bad gallagher led habs is laughable.
What's worse is apparently the Marlies might intentionally injure Price and Gallagher while on conditioning stint with Laval.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

From a team health perspective, giving Hyman, Nash, and Foligno as much time to rest as possible is good. Those three are lined up to play big rolls in a playoff push.

The only thing I don't like about the schedule is the back to back next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad