North Division playoff teams

Who will be the 4 playoff teams in the Canadian division?

• Toronto

Votes: 293 95.8%
  • Ottawa

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Montreal

Votes: 210 68.6%
  • Winnipeg

Votes: 170 55.6%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 193 63.1%
  • Calgary

Votes: 229 74.8%
  • Vancouver

Votes: 88 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
i know its very early ... but my god ......... i got this division totally wrong, i thought it would be the most competitive division in the league but clearly the western teams are a mess and ottawa is horrendous.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
i know its very early ... but my god ......... i got this division totally wrong, i thought it would be the most competitive division in the league but clearly the western teams are a mess and ottawa is horrendous.

Winnipeg is decent, and might be even better, when they get PLD playing too. But unless Calgary can turn it around some, it's going to be Montreal/Toronto, then Winnipeg, then Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver fighting it out for last spot. At this point, you've got to hope that Leafs get top seed, and draw Vancouver.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im surprised Winnipeg is playing as well as they are.

Im not surprised Ottawa is as terrible as they are. The media playing dumb is getting annoying "No one saw them being this bad"

Oh really?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs/Habs

Jets

Flames

Oilers
Canucks
Sens

Da Jets will be a tough out for whoever comes in 2nd place
I am really shocked by how badly da canucks are on defense (mind blowing BAD) like AHL level TBH

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Screenshot_20210207-214027_Sheets.jpg

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Wait wait, top 4 make it? I thought it was top 3 the last month for some reason lol.

Yeah we're making the playoffs boys

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Still tougher than the West Division. They have 4 of the weakest teams in the league, and even Colorado/St Louis/Minnesota have been very inconsistent.

50% of every division is pretty weak. The PIT division is by far the hardest, but that was known going in. Every other division we would be one of the top teams.

We will see once we get out of the North Division in the playoffs. Let's focus on crushing Canada first and then we can go after those other teams.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg are the only good teams in the North division.

Oilers, Sens, Canucks are trash. I'm undecided about Flames.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg are the only good teams in the North division.

Oilers, Sens, Canucks are trash. I'm undecided about Flames.

I think Calgary does better over time and Habs start doing worse.

No idea about the Canucks. I think they can be better than they are right now and will challenge the Habs for the last playoff spot.

I don't think the Oilers and Sens have a chance. Neither are close to playoff teams.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Toronto should be a lock.

McDavid and Draisaitl will be there too.

Three teams will be fighting for the last two spots: Habs, Jets, and Flames.

Habs probably have the best chance of those three. Last spot is a battle between Flames and Jets. I chose Jets but I'm really not sure.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Wait wait, top 4 make it? I thought it was top 3 the last month for some reason lol.

Yeah we're making the playoffs boys
Unless something goes incredibly sideways yeah we're in.

Hypothetically let's say the cut off is something ridiculously high like 67 points (which is 98 points in a regular 82 game year, the highest cutoff in NHL history IIRC). The leafs already have 19 points in 12 games, so they'd need 48 points in 44 remaining games to hit that total. That's an 89 point pace during a normal year. The leafs can sleepwalk that (but let's not please!)

The interesting battle will be between Edmonton/Calgary for 4th, the top 3 seeds look like they'll be Toronto/Montreal/Winnipeg.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Toronto, Montreal for sure.
Winnipeg almost for sure.
Edmonton and Calgary are fighting for 4th but I have no idea why the Flames aren't easily better.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I find Flames just might be missing more high end talent. I never liked their 2 big UFA signings this offseason (Markstrom playing well though).

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Im not surprised Ottawa is as terrible as they are. The media playing dumb is getting annoying "No one saw them being this bad"

Oh really?

Winnipeg is still an enigma to me.

They got handled by the Canucks this season and we beat them in as lopsided a game as any earlier in the year but they have some impressive wins against the Flames and Oilers (although lost to both as well)

In the end, They've only played the Leafs once (got destroyed) and 0 games against the Habs so whats happens when they run into the best teams in the division?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
One thing I still don't get is why people think the Habs have a good dcorps.

Petry is good. Weber pretty good but at 35 not great and really slow. And that's it for top 4 dmen.

Chiarot and Edmundson and kulak are bottom pair guys. Romanov is a baby.

I just don't get the hype.

Reactions: Burnie97

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Petry is good. Weber pretty good but at 35 not great and really slow. And that's it for top 4 dmen.

Habs fans themselves are ripping their D Corps right now in their post game thread, saying it's big but slow and unable to move the puck well. Only Petry and Romanov can effectively move the puck for them.

Reactions: zeke

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

I’m unsure why people think Habs are a ‘juggernaut’. I think they have been over performing relative to their talent up to this point. Now we’re slowly going to see them come back down to earth.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

They are big and physical, and there are a lot of people obsessed with that.

They are also slow and only have two guys who are true top 4 quality at this point. The wild card was Romanov, and while he has been decent, it would be like the Leafs putting in Sandin full time and spoon-feeding him sheltered minutes that he is probably not ready to handle to this point.

Calgary is the team that, defensively, is the only one which compares to ours right now. None of them are putting up big offensive numbers, but they are all solid and deep defensively.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Oh really?

I think Winnipeg is being underrated around here

They have good centers and a game changing goaltender

I don't think you can win a cup like that but making the playoffs and stealing a round or two doesn't seem unrealistic

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
As long as Edmonton goes down I am good. Those fans are OBNOXIOUS since winning a few games.

Some fans

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Toronto- class of the division like it or not, especially with the improvement to our D corps we are a scary team to run into

Montreal- next most complete team in the division, if Allen snatches the starter job from Price I think they get even scarier (mind you there is a chasm between Toronto and the rest of the division)

Winnipeg- great down the middle and Helleybuck (howevers it’s spelt) can literally steal a series by himself

Calgary- I go back and forth on Calgary Edmonton but Calgary is the more complete team of the two so they get the nod though mcdrai can literally push Edmonton into the playoffs themselves specially in a short season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad