North Division playoff teams

Who will be the 4 playoff teams in the Canadian division?

• Toronto

Votes: 293 95.8%
  • Ottawa

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Montreal

Votes: 210 68.6%
  • Winnipeg

Votes: 170 55.6%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 193 63.1%
  • Calgary

Votes: 229 74.8%
  • Vancouver

Votes: 88 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
1. Toronto
2. Edmonton
3. Montreal
4. Calgary
5. Winnipeg
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa ( but they're going to be a tough out in most games imo)

Would be great if everyone predicted the final standings in the Canadian division.. Would be interesting to revisit this at the end of the season.
This year in particular is just a big fat guess. The Leafs on paper have the most complete team and Ottawa has the least depth and talent, however there are variables that we haven’t seen before. Timing of injuries will be a factor and maybe Ottawa is fluky enough to be benefactor. Then there are these wacky three game series.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
This year in particular is just a big fat guess. The Leafs on paper have the most complete team and Ottawa has the least depth and talent, however there are variables that we haven’t seen before. Timing of injuries will be a factor and maybe Ottawa is fluky enough to be benefactor. Then there are these wacky three game series.
Yes. It will be a wild and wacky year. I wouldn't want to see a schedule and divisional set up like this every year but for one year I think it will be great, if not totally unpredictable. Should be interesting...and yes trying to predict the standings is a fun exercise , certainly not based on historical precedence.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver

Edmonton may have McDavid and Draisaitl, but they have weak depth, weak defense, and weak goaltending. Not exactly a winning combination.
Maybe worst in the league, they should have traded for Matt Murray

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Surprised the Canadiens have more votes than the Canucks.

Actually I changed my mind about this.

Basically I look at it like this; what crucial elements does a team need to be competitive? They need a #1 Centre, a #1 Defenseman, and probably most important, a #1 Goalie. How do the Canadian teams stack up in this regard then?

Team#1C#1D#1G
CalgaryMonohan?GiordanoMarkstrom
EdmontonMcDavidN/AN/A
MontrealN/AWeberPrice
OttawaN/AChabotMurray?
TorontoMatthewsRiellyAndersen
VancouverPetterssonHughesHoltby?
WinnipegScheifeleMorrissey?Hellebuyck
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
One team satisfies all three requirements (Toronto), three are close (Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg) but have question marks at certain positions (some more than others), one team has two but is crucially missing one position (Montreal), and two teams are missing two positions (Edmonton, Ottawa).

Goaltending will go a long way to say who will make the playoffs in this highly competitive division. Edmonton won't come last but because they're lacking in the goalie department they're going to be close but ultimately miss. McDavid and Draisaitl are elite no doubt, but they'll only be able to drag the team so far, especially since their teams #1 Defenseman in Klefbom is going to miss the majority if not the entire season due to surgery. It'll be a shootout between them and other teams for sure, but their weakness on the defensive side will do them in.

Ottawa has Chabot and it's possible Murray bounces back, but their problems go beyond simply missing a #1 Centre. Even if Stutzle comes in guns blazing Ottawa is very young and raw. They'll catch teams napping but they won't put up much of a fight for the playoffs.

Vancouver is another team with the question mark in net. For all the crap we give Andersen (a not unsubstantial amount deserved) Holtby had a worse season. A lot of Vancouvers success last season can be attributed to Markstrom, and if Holtby can't semi-bounce back to an even average level they'll be in trouble. If Holtby falters Demko is there and has potential, but he's still young and outside of the bubble wasn't all that great last season. The potential for goaltending to be a strength is there, but as it stands they're in a worse position than the other four teams. Everywhere else, Canucks have elite and exciting young talent but the depth just isn't there after the cream of the crop.

Montreal is the team with probably the most hype coming into this. They're tougher, they've got Price, they beat Pittsburgh in a random playoff bubble series, surely this means they're going to leap from a bottom 10 team and into the playoffs right? Well, as we saw with the Leafs when Kessel was here, a #1 Centre is extremely important for a team to have. A goalie can make or break a season, but without a top line pivot you'll be in tough with regards to matchups. Yes they're high on Suzuki and Kotkaniemi, but those two are still raw and didn't explode onto the scene ala Matthews or Pettersson. Kotkaniemi especially still has quite a bit to prove despite his four goals in the playoffs. Weber and Petry are very good defensemen and Price is more likely than not to be an elite #1 Goalie, but I question their offensive depth. You're going to put out Suzuki or Kotkaniemi to go up against the likes of McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, Tavares, Pettersson, Horvat, Monohan, or Scheifele? Really? That's your answer in a division that's just teeming with upper-echelon pivots? The Habs in my opinion are overrated but honestly they might still have enough to make it in this division, a better chance than Edmonton anyway.

Winnipeg is a tricky one. They've got the offensive talent to be sure, not so hot depth, and that defence is... woof, a far cry from just a couple seasons ago even. But Hellebuyck is a major X-Factor here, a Vezina winner and he had the Jets in a playoff spot when the season went to hell (albeit teams had games in hand on them). Should Hellebuyck continue this play (and what reason would he have not to) he could once again cover a weak Jets defence and will this team to the playoffs. Though even if Hellebuyck plays like a Vezina candidate, the Jets poor defence corps and not so hot bottom six depth may still kill them.

Calgary is the one team outside of Toronto who I consider to be the most rounded. Monohan is a question mark as far as being a #1 Centre but it's a softer question mark than the ones I've got on Holtby, Murray, and Morrissey. He had a poor regular season but bounced back nicely in the post season, and I think he'll be closer but not exactly at the level he showed in 18-19, same goes for Gaudreau. Their defence is solid with Giordano leading the way. Tanev is arguably a downgrade from Brodie but he should still adequately help out, and Andersson may be the new Brodie for the Flames in any case. They're strong up front, got decent depth, and have addressed their most critical weakness in goaltending by adding Markstrom. If they had another elite centre they'd probably be the favourites to come out on top of this division, but alas. Aside from Toronto they're my only lock to make the playoffs.

And finally, Toronto, our beloved (if sometimes frustrating) Leafs. Now with the years of playoff disappointments and middling regular season performances it's easy for other fan bases and pundits to dismiss us. I mean really who'd bet on Toronto at this point given all they've done is disappoint and fail to reach expectations? Well this year, in a weak (but competitive) Canadian division, there is no better opportunity for the Leafs than right now to strike and realize that untapped potential. Frederick Andersen, with a more capable defence in front of him should bounce back and provide solid goaltending, and Campbell can help carry the load when rest is needed. A healthy Morgan Rielly untethered by an anchor of a partner this year should come close to his 18-19 form and re-establish himself as a #1 Defenseman. Muzzin and Holl (or whoever really) will provide good defensive coverage, and the bottom pair is more capable now than it has been in seasons past. Up front, only one team can counter a Matthews-Tavares 1-2 punch, and the depth and versatility up front has been improved as well.

The main thing is, while some Canadian teams are better than Toronto in certain positions (McDavid-Draisaitl over Matthews-Tavares, Hellebuyck over Andersen) they crucially lack other elements where Toronto is stronger. This is a division defined by its holes, and Toronto has the fewest among them.

I'd definitively say that Toronto and Calgary are going to make it, and that Ottawa and Edmonton are definitively going to miss. The sticky wicket of it is which two out of Montreal, Vanvouver, and Winnipeg is going to take the final spots?

If I were to predict how I see the standings shaping up and who makes the playoffs, this is what I'd say:

#1 Toronto
#2 Calgary
#3 Winnipeg
#4 Montreal
#5 Vancouver
#6 Edmonton
#7 Ottawa

I'm putting a lot of stock into goaltending here. I think the Canucks will take a step back, Hellebuyck will carry a mediocre Jets defence, and Montreal on the backs of Price, Weber, and Petry will beat out a young Vancouver team for the final spot. Honestly I can see the 3-5 position flipping any which way, but I'll lock in those predictions. I'll be shocked if either of Toronto or Calgary miss. I know Edmonton was the highest ranked Canadian team going into the play-ins, but I don't think McDavid-Draisaitl will be enough to overcome weak goaltending and a weak defence missing their best man. Ottawa is going to tank again.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Still think if teams play the Leafs aggressive/physical...there will be problems

Your young guys are not kids anymore and will be looking to prove they can battle. It's only going to take a couple games to see how the leafs handle the rough stuff . Montreal and the sens went tough this year and the first few games everyone on both sides will be trying to show the fans how hard they compete.
I thought it was the Sens and leafs that opened the season... stupid montreal gets to start the fights first.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ernz5fUXAAErdHO

dom luszczyszyn
@domluszczyszyn

·
2m
Pre-season expected win percentage from my model, or the #DomHatesYourFavouriteTeamIndex

Reactions: zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dom's GSVA updated final roster team projections. from theathletic.com

4. TOR .578
10. MTL .534
12. EDM .517
14. CGY .516
21. VAN .481
22. WPG .480
31. OTT .379

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Ottawa is the only clear outlier, and even they will surely give every team fits throughout the season.

It's really too close to call.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dom's GSVA updated final roster team projections. from theathletic.com

4. TOR .578
10. MTL .534
12. EDM .517
14. CGY .516
21. VAN .481
22. WPG .480
31. OTT .379
I think Toronto and Montreal will fight for top spot but don't see a big margin between top 6 teams with Sens at bottom. Who knows where it will end up but like Jets and Canucks to get in late. Oilers are team I am most sure will not make it because you just can't win with zero defense and tending but they will be fun to watch in many high scoring games. Flames maybe have deepest team so they worry me but I don't see any higher end skilled scoring and think they will lose a lot of 3-2 games while outplaying teams. Canucks have a very solid team and this year Bo is gonna emerge as a top 5-10 player in league. They have some slippage factor if he doesn't get there this season so they worry me a little. But I see them as biggest surprise. If Petterson gets hot too then they could wind up 1st with top 2 centres in division.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Vegas has the Leafs with the best odds of winning the Div with Montreal coming in 2nd.

Calgary, Edmonton and Van all have the same odds and are competing for 3,4 and 5.

Winnipeg ranked #6 and Ottawa finishing last.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
1. Toronto
2. Edmonton
3. Montreal
4. Calgary
5. Winnipeg
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa ( but they're going to be a tough out in most games imo)

Would be great if everyone predicted the final standings in the Canadian division.. Would be interesting to revisit this at the end of the season.
Toronto
Calgary
Montreal
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Vancouver
Ottawa
Final answer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and one of Winnipeg or Edmonton.

Winnipeg has the center depth and goaltending, Oilers have the wild card offensive punch. Calgary has Vancouver's roster from last year.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Tier 1: Toronto, Montreal, Calgary
Tier 2: Winnipeg, Edmonton
Tier 3: Vancouver
Tier 4: Ottawa

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Like most, I think Toronto, Montreal and Calgary have shown enough to be the top three. Winnipeg has done a good job snatching victory from the jaws of defeat and in a short season that'll probably be enough to gain the final spot.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Like most, I think Toronto, Montreal and Calgary have shown enough to be the top three. Winnipeg has done a good job snatching victory from the jaws of defeat and in a short season that'll probably be enough to gain the final spot.
Yeah I did not expect Peterson to drop off like he has and Canucks defenders are flat out not good enough Myers is not panning out like i thought ... and calgary is too deep in their lineup ... i am switching Canucks OUT and Calgary IN ...

Like I said Habs and Leafs will fight it out for 1st ... then Jets i think are just too skilled as shown in game 1 to take Flames in OT ... but it is very razor thin close there for 3rd and 4th

Edmonton just sucks on defense and goal ... Ottawa will be competitive but too young and still 2 years away

I still like canucks but Peterson and Myers have been big disappointments and Demko has not yet shown premier status ... they could turn it around but it is looking less likely

Reactions: Korg

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Yeah I did not expect Peterson to drop off like he has and Canucks defenders are flat out not good enough Myers is not panning out like i thought ... and calgary is too deep in their lineup ... i am switching Canucks OUT and Calgary IN ...

Like I said Habs and Leafs will fight it out for 1st ... then Jets i think are just too skilled as shown in game 1 to take Flames in OT ... but it is very razor thin close there for 3rd and 4th

Edmonton just sucks on defense and goal ... Ottawa will be competitive but too young and still 2 years away

I still like canucks but Peterson and Myers have been big disappointments and Demko has not yet shown premier status ... they could turn it around but it is looking less likely

I thought Vancouver was going to build off falling one win shy of the conference finals as well. They really miss Tanev on the backend and gambling on a goaltender platoon over Markstrom looks like it backfired. They'll probably rebound next season, but this year looks like a write off.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I thought Vancouver was going to build off falling one win shy of the conference finals as well. They really miss Tanev on the backend and gambling on a goaltender platoon over Markstrom looks like it backfired. They'll probably rebound next season, but this year looks like a write off.
Yeah it looks like da truth ... Tanev better then I thought .. same with Markstrom ... but good news is Bo is dominating everyone when he is on da ice ... on an overall 200 foot game I see Matty and him battling it out for best in division ... McJesus is to one dimensional but his 1 dimension is best there ever was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad