North Division playoff teams

Who will be the 4 playoff teams in the Canadian division?

• Toronto

Votes: 293 95.8%
  • Ottawa

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Montreal

Votes: 210 68.6%
  • Winnipeg

Votes: 170 55.6%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 193 63.1%
  • Calgary

Votes: 229 74.8%
  • Vancouver

Votes: 88 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The western conference teams best two are Calgary and Winnipeg and Montreal and ourselves will be the four when you look at play to this point.
Montreal hit a snag but I’m not fooled by their slide. They have a solid team. I still think we win the division and the other three spots will be a battle down to the wire.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
As long as Edmonton goes down I am good. Those fans are OBNOXIOUS since winning a few games.

Some fans
A couple of consecutive loses in Toronto and we will see the obnoxious "Leaf Fans" come out calling for a rebuild. Their comments will fuel the main board rip down of the leafs.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I’m unsure why people think Habs are a ‘juggernaut’. I think they have been over performing relative to their talent up to this point. Now we’re slowly going to see them come back down to earth.
They had an easy schedule before playing the Leafs again. They haven't even played Winnipeg yet and played Vancouver 5 times, which they went 4-0-1 in.

When you remove the Vancouver games, they are only 4-4-1.

Reactions: glue

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I’m unsure why people think Habs are a ‘juggernaut’. I think they have been over performing relative to their talent up to this point. Now we’re slowly going to see them come back down to earth.

There was a very large need for Canadian media to create a non-leafs team to give all their respect to.

One thing's for sure - no media person will ever be calling the leafs a juggernaut, no matter what.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
I had Vancouver over Winnipeg in the playoffs, ooof!

I wasn't sure about Winnipeg before the season. But now with PLD, I think they're way better than the Alberta teams.

Edmonton - D and G issues unless Mike Smith can turn back the clock to 2011-2012 lol

Calgary - Everything but goaltending. Markstrom has already won a few games by himself

Reactions: Suntouchable13

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Excellent start that has given the team leeway to weather a future flat period. There are 5 teams with legitimate claims to a playoff spot at the moment. But I see no reason why the Leafs can't stay at the top or near to it by season's end. The forward depth has been tested and has passed with flying colours.

I thought Vancouver would be better. Their defense has aged badly. Edler and Myers don't seem very good any longer especially Myers who has more than lost a step.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
So how did everyone’s predictions work out? The top four is set and while the bottom three positions are still TBD I don’t think too many people really care.

Basically I look at it like this; what crucial elements does a team need to be competitive? They need a #1 Centre, a #1 Defenseman, and probably most important, a #1 Goalie. How do the Canadian teams stack up in this regard then?

Team#1C#1D#1G
CalgaryMonohan?GiordanoMarkstrom
EdmontonMcDavidN/AN/A
MontrealN/AWeberPrice
OttawaN/AChabotMurray?
TorontoMatthewsRiellyAndersen
VancouverPetterssonHughesHoltby?
WinnipegScheifeleMorrissey?Hellebuyck
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If I were to predict how I see the standings shaping up and who makes the playoffs, this is what I'd say:

#1 Toronto
#2 Calgary
#3 Winnipeg
#4 Montreal
#5 Vancouver
#6 Edmonton
#7 Ottawa

If I had Calgary and Edmonton switched I’d have gotten the playoff teams and seeds right on. What a gross overestimation of Calgary I had. Markstrom was mediocre, Giordano has lost a step from his Norris form, and Lindholm, who is the Flames actual #1C, just doesn’t stack up against other centres in this division. Flames just had no offence to speak of.

Edmonton, who the hell thought Mike Smith would have this kind of season? Nurse and Barrie offensively have been real good for them and helped make the absence of Klefbom less noticeable. And McDavid, what is there to even say, just a mutant this year carrying that team. Draisaitl is elite too but McDavid is the straw that stirs the drink.

Toronto, my confidence was not misplaced for this regular season, though my only misses predictions-wise were thinking Andersen would bounce back and that Rielly would find his 5th place Norris form. Campbell has been fantastic stepping up and taking the reigns as the #1G. Rielly has been good but not at the level we’ve seen from him.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
So how did everyone’s predictions work out? The top four is set and while the bottom three positions are still TBD I don’t think too many people really care.

If I had Calgary and Edmonton switches I’d have gotten the playoff teams and seeds right on. What a gross overestimation of Calgary I had. Markstrom was mediocre, Giordano has lost a step from his Norris form, and Lindholm, who is the Flames actual #1C, just doesn’t stack up against other centres in this division. Flames just had no offence to speak of.

Edmonton, who the hell thought Mike Smith would have this kind of season? Nurse and Barrie offensively have been real good for them and helped make the absence of Klefbom. And McDavid, what is there to even say, just a mutant this year carrying that team. Draisaitl is elite too but McDavid is the straw that stirs the drink.

Toronto, my confidence was not misplaced for this regular season, though my only misses predictions-wise were thinking Andersen would bounce back and that Rielly would find his 5th place Norris form. Campbell has been fantastic stepping up and taking the reigns as the #1G. Rielly has been good but not at the level we’ve seen from him.
I picked Toronto, Edmonton Winnipeg and Calgary. Didnt foresee Muzzin killing Calgary with a puck flip.
Never bought into the "elite habs" crap.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Toronto/Winnipeg/Edmonton/Vancouver.

I was just thinking about this poll the other day and thought I had picked all 4 correct. Turns out I took Vancouver over Montreal for that last spot, which was a tough call at the time as I thought with my other three locks (in my opinion) only one of the Canucks, Habs and Flames could make the cut.

Who knows how things would've turned out for Vancouver if Covid hadn't swept through the team and they didn't lose their star player for the last half of the season, but they could possibly finish last in the North, bottom 5 in the league. Abysmal season for them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I had Toronto, Winnipeg, Montreal and Calgary.... wrong on the Calgary/Edmonton bit...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad