North Dakota Fighting Sioux (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Congrats to UND on the win. But gotta hand it to Niagara, they didn't make it easy for them.

Aside from the final score, the two biggest differences that I saw in UND and Minnesota's efforts today:

1) When North Dakota began to kick it in high gear in the third period, they did an excellent job of slowing down Niagara. Did you all notice that when Niagara's speed was kept in check, they weren't as effective/dangerous? Minnesota failed to do that consistently against Yale, whose speed is one of their bread-and-butter components.

2) UND was physical throughout the game, but especially in the third period, which IMO also helped get Niagara off of their game. But Minnesota lacked that in their game versus Yale, which frankly really surprised me considering that the Gophers can bring it and are successful when they do. Go figure.

FYI, I wasn't as surprised by Yale's win as I was by the Gophers' lack of physicality and sense of urgency. Furthermore, I was equally surprised by the fact that they simply didn't come out ready to play to start the OT, while Yale was just looking for an opportunity to try and put it away. Ben Marshall's turnover provided just that.

Good luck to UND against Yale tomorrow. And if they do pretty much the same things vs. Yale that they did against Niagara, it might be we're-Pittsburgh-bound time. Hopefully UND will be able to kick it into high gear right at the get-go instead of in the third period tomorrow.

We shall see.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Love this pick with Rocco and the Niagara goalie after the game today.

292265_4778995834119_1687102472_n.jpg

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Congrats to UND on the win. But gotta hand it to Niagara, they didn't make it easy for them.

Aside from the final score, the two biggest differences that I saw in UND and Minnesota's efforts today:

1) When North Dakota began to kick it in high gear in the third period, they did an excellent job of slowing down Niagara. Did you all notice that when Niagara's speed was kept in check, they weren't as effective/dangerous? Minnesota failed to do that consistently against Yale, whose speed is one of their bread-and-butter components.

2) UND was physical throughout the game, but especially in the third period, which IMO also helped get Niagara off of their game. But Minnesota lacked that in their game versus Yale, which frankly really surprised me considering that the Gophers can bring it and are successful when they do. Go figure.

FYI, I wasn't as surprised by Yale's win as I was by the Gophers' lack of physicality and sense of urgency. Furthermore, I was equally surprised by the fact that they simply didn't come out ready to play to start the OT, while Yale was just looking for an opportunity to try and put it away. Ben Marshall's turnover provided just that.

Good luck to UND against Yale tomorrow. And if they do pretty much the same things vs. Yale that they did against Niagara, it might be we're-Pittsburgh-bound time. Hopefully UND will be able to kick it into high gear right at the get-go instead of in the third period tomorrow.

We shall see.
I agree OC but I really thik it comes down to leadership or lack of with the Gophers. Bjugstad has been pretty much non existant that last month and when it come to NCAA tourney time your leaders need to show the way.

I like the Sioux chances tomorrow. As long as Gothberg plays well again,although the goal he did allow was a bit soft, and we don't have so dang many offensive zone penalties they should come out on top. Jut happy they get the oppurtunity because I was starting to have doubts after the second period.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
Well the refs completely put momentum in Yale's hands with 3 penalties in the 3rd period.

After the dive on the 3rd one I would have shot the puck at the official. Complete trash for an NCAA tournament game.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Better team won. Simple. If one of those pipe shots go in maybe it's a different but none did. Saunders played good enough to win. Yale beat 2 elite programs to get to the Frozen Four. I tip my hat to them. Now it's off to a new conference which I am not real thrilled about. Hopefully that changes over time but right now I think it all stinks. Thanks to the seniors that stuck it out for 4 years. Some of them could of dashed early but they didn't and I wish them nothing but the best from here on out. Pulling for St. Cloud now. Go Huskies.

Last edited:

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Congrats to Yale on moving on to the Frozen Four. And bad news for Vancouver Canucks fans - they'll have to wait about another two weeks before the team can sign Antoine Laganiere.

Now for some of my personal observations on UND:

I loved the way UND started the game. But the UND team that showed up in the first period, was NOT the same team that showed up in the third period. What I mean by this is UND didn't play UND hockey in the third period. They weren't physical (or as physical), they didn't utilized their team speed effectively nor consistently and most importantly, UND gave up way too many opportunities to Yale in the third period. But give props to Yale for capitalizing on the opportunities that they were given. Had they failed to do that, the outcome might have been very different.

Two players that I thought played really well, despite not advancing, were Andrew MacWilliam (who was named to the All-tournament team) and Rocco Grimaldi. MacWilliam was a physical presence throughout the games vs. Yale and Niagara , especially in the first half of the Yale game. Grimaldi was just all over the place and made things happen whenever he was on the ice. I personally thought that it was a good move by Hakstol to put Rocco up on the top line with Knight & Kristo.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Congrats to Yale on moving on to the Frozen Four. And bad news for Vancouver Canucks fans - they'll have to wait about another two weeks before the team can sign Antoine Laganiere.

Now for some of my personal observations on UND:

I loved the way UND started the game. But the UND team that showed up in the first period, was NOT the same team that showed up in the third period. What I mean by this is UND didn't play UND hockey in the third period. They weren't physical (or as physical), they didn't utilized their team speed effectively nor consistently and most importantly, UND gave up way too many opportunities to Yale in the third period. But give props to Yale for capitalizing on the opportunities that they were given. Had they failed to do that, the outcome might have been very different.

Two players that I thought played really well, despite not advancing, were Andrew MacWilliam (who was named to the All-tournament team) and Rocco Grimaldi. MacWilliam was a physical presence throughout the games vs. Yale and Niagara , especially in the first half of the Yale game. Grimaldi was just all over the place and made things happen whenever he was on the ice. I personally thought that it was a good move by Hakstol to put Rocco up on the top line with Knight & Kristo.
Rocco plays hard every game. The guy never takes a shift off but that first line yesterday disappointed me. Did not create alot of scoring chances and the proof is in the pudding when Kristo only has one shot on goal. That can't happen in a game with that much on the line. Yale will have their hands full with Lowell. They are rolling.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I have been a season ticket holder for 13 years and for the first time I am debating whether or not to renew. This whole change thing is not going over real well with me. The home schedule really does nothing for me besides SCSU and UMD. I have until the end of May to decide and I will use all that time to make a decision.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
GRAND FORKS, N.D. – The University of North Dakota led NCAA Division I men’s hockey in home attendance in 2012-13, averaging 11,592 fans in its 21 home games. North Dakota was the only program in the country to average better than 10,000 fans per home game.

UND’s average home attendance of 11,592 was 99.6 percent of capacity in the 11,634-seat Ralph Engelstad Arena, where 12 of the 21 regular season games were played in front of sellout crowds.

A crowd of 12,177 watched UND’s regular season home finale on March 2 against Bemidji State, the second-largest crowd in program history. It was just 12 shy of the school-record 12,189 on Feb. 9, 2002, against Minnesota during the Ralph Engelstad Arena’s first year of operation.

“We have the most dedicated fans in college hockey,†said UND Head Coach Dave Hakstol. “It is a privilege to go to work in front of them every Friday and Saturday night.â€

Last season UND finished second nationally in average attendance (11,341), but led the nation in total attendance (249,501). UND had previously ranked second nationally in total attendance for eight straight seasons.

2012-13 Average Attendance Leaders
1. North Dakota 11,592
2. Minnesota 9,950
3. Wisconsin 9,521
4. Nebraska Omaha 7,233
5. Colorado College 6,979
6. Boston College 6,384
7. Minnesota Duluth 6,206
8. Michigan State 5,869
9. New Hampshire 5,521
10. Michigan 5,357

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I have been a season ticket holder for 13 years and for the first time I am debating whether or not to renew. This whole change thing is not going over real well with me. The home schedule really does nothing for me besides SCSU and UMD. I have until the end of May to decide and I will use all that time to make a decision.

What really sucks about it is that one of the best rivalries (UND vs. MN) in all of college hockey won't be renewed until what? next year? That rivalry is always a sellout both at the Ralph and at Mariucci.

But one thing to get excited about though (and I was just looking through the various incoming classes for next season), UND will again have one of the top incoming classes IMO. That is, barring any players that decide to bolt for Major Junior between now and then.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
What really sucks about it is that one of the best rivalries (UND vs. MN) in all of college hockey won't be renewed until what? next year? That rivalry is always a sellout both at the Ralph and at Mariucci.

But one thing to get excited about though (and I was just looking through the various incoming classes for next season), UND will again have one of the top incoming classes IMO. That is, barring any players that decide to bolt for Major Junior between now and then.
Minnesota has it's schedule figured out for 4 years so no game between the 2 until after that. UND kept a date open for the rivalry to continue. Lucia wanted to fill up his dates with BC and Notre Dame instead. He is also playing all the in state teams. But he also added saying the rivalry needed to cool down. That makes no sense at all.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
According to THIS Brad Schlossman article, Haks is dropping the hammer on Chyzyk, Gothberg (second offenses for both) and St. Clair.

You'd think that Chyzyk and Gothberg would've gotten the message the last time around. Sheesh!!! :shakehead
I agree. It's a privilege to put on that UND sweater and these guys don't get it. I'm glad Hak is taking away scholarship money and whatever else he does. Yes college kids will drink but for crying out loud be smart about it.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
UND’s newest recruit, Humboldt Broncos goaltender Matt Hrynkiw, was named the Canadian Junior A goalie of the year.

Hrynkiw, who will come to UND next season, posted a .935 save percentage and a 1.93 goals-against average in leading Humboldt to the SJHL regular season title.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
After 12 years as a season ticket holder I decided not to renew this time around. Still bitter about the WCHA breakup. Dumb. Plus I will need the weekends to watch my daughter play college puck for Concordia and my son play high school hockey for the Blue Jays. I will still catch a few games but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad