North Bay Battalion 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If a team drafts him and chooses to hold his rights for a year, they would lose any compensatory picks, correct?

Yes, the team would not get compensatory picks unless declaring the player a defect, thus making the player available for the following draft; or, trade the player to team he would report to.
It seems Fantilli won’t play in the OHL this season, I’d pick next bpa or best fit (Nelson, imo)

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I wouldn’t take the risk for NB. Draft 4-5 yrs of Nelson (battalion would be loaded on both LD & RD born 2001-04), then use 2, 3, 3-4ths and import(s) on forwards.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
...or maybe I've got a point.

Like I said, you're missing something very obvious if you choose to argue that smaller market teams aren't at a disadvantage.

I fully understand that some teams are at a disadvantage. I follow a team that's at one. Saginaw wasn't exactly a top destination guys were defecting to for almost a decade and a half. Changed up management, scouting/recruiting, added new people into the ownership, etc.

Being at a disadvantage does not mean can't get these players and the league doesn't have to do a thing if kids don't want to go to certain teams.

Reactions: Drop the Puck

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
Whose the guys we are lookn at drafting then. I know a few but as.for imports im not sure. Fantilli maybe just be just to much headache.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wouldn’t take the risk for NB. Draft 4-5 yrs of Nelson (battalion would be loaded on both LD & RD born 2001-04), then use 2, 3, 3-4ths and import(s) on forwards.
Depends. Might be worth taking Fantilli just to trade his rights. We'd still get the 5OA and late 2nd compensation in 2021. Add to that the draft pick haul you could get for him and it probably exceeds the value Nelson brings to the table.

Do we really need the RD next year anyways? We're going to be a team that squeaks in at best. Better off just giving Christopolous a longer leash.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I fully understand that some teams are at a disadvantage. I follow a team that's at one. Saginaw wasn't exactly a top destination guys were defecting to for almost a decade and a half. Changed up management, scouting/recruiting, added new people into the ownership, etc.

Being at a disadvantage does not mean can't get these players and the league doesn't have to do a thing if kids don't want to go to certain teams.
My point is that there should be a better way for teams to redeem the value of that pick if the prospects threaten to defect. AFAIK the team needs to trade that player by September 15th to get the compensation along with the trade return. Fantilli making a decision on the NCAA next year doesn't do us any favors.

Letting a player of that caliber slide down the draft because smaller markets aren't willing to take the risk is the issue I have.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Depends. Might be worth taking Fantilli just to trade his rights. We'd still get the 5OA and late 2nd compensation in 2021. Add to that the draft pick haul you could get for him and it probably exceeds the value Nelson brings to the table.

Do we really need the RD next year anyways? We're going to be a team that squeaks in at best. Better off just giving Christopolous a longer leash.

Can only get compensatory picks if NB declares Fantilli a defect. So put Fantilli back into the draft for next season for 5th & 40th picks a year from now; or try to trade him, teams won’t offer much in a trade for a player that might consider playing in the league next season.
Nelson won’t affect Christopolous adversely, imo.
Should NB add two OA and land an import, they will be a middle team at worst, I think.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Can only get compensatory picks if NB declares Fantilli a defect. So put Fantilli back into the draft for next season for 5th & 40th picks a year from now; or try to trade him, teams won’t offer much in a trade for a player that might consider playing in the league next season.
Nelson won’t affect Christopolous adversely, imo.
Should NB add two OA and land an import, they will be a middle team at worst, I think.
He is a defect. He committed to a USHL program for the 2020/21 season. If we hold onto his rights, we lose compensation. If we trade him prior to September 15, we get the trade return plus compensation.

I'm suggesting that would be better than picking Nelson and letting Niagara select the BPA.

I'm not sure what the market would be on Fantilli. 6'2, 185lb 15 year old who's a potential top five pick in the '23 NHL draft. My guess is that there'd be a market for him.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
My point is that there should be a better way for teams to redeem the value of that pick if the prospects threaten to defect. AFAIK the team needs to trade that player by September 15th to get the compensation along with the trade return. Fantilli making a decision on the NCAA next year doesn't do us any favors.

Letting a player of that caliber slide down the draft because smaller markets aren't willing to take the risk is the issue I have.

there’s no real issue. Parents and the 15 year old player should absolutely do what they feel is best. The defect rule is a great equalizer for teams that properly weigh the risk/reward. Fantilli is high risk as he will not play year one and will only re-consider options year two.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Fa
Well I've given you one option and you've given the other. Neither seems overly positive for the Battalion. Is it worth the risk to wait out the decision of an elite level talent? Or do you just let those guys slide down to the stronger markets to read the benefits?

Seems that there should be a better way for teams to capitalize on the value of their picks in the instance these players choose to defect.
Fair enough , I didn't understand till now. Hey , Dennis has a lot to consider for sure . Does he roll the dice and pray , or take the bird in hand with say a Nelson ( if he will report ?)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He is a defect. He committed to a USHL program for the 2020/21 season. If we hold onto his rights, we lose compensation. If we trade him prior to September 15, we get the trade return plus compensation.

I'm suggesting that would be better than picking Nelson and letting Niagara select the BPA.

I'm not sure what the market would be on Fantilli. 6'2, 185lb 15 year old who's a potential top five pick in the '23 NHL draft. My guess is that there'd be a market for him.

only conditional interest, the kid & family have all the leverage and he may never play in the OHL

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
only conditional interest, the kid & family have all the leverage and he may never play in the OHL
Exactly , Battalion or any other team have zero leverage , just to many options today , and if you watch the NHL draft the last few years , the NCAA is a pretty good option .

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
there’s no real issue. Parents and the 15 year old player should absolutely do what they feel is best. The defect rule is a great equalizer for teams that properly weigh the risk/reward. Fantilli is high risk as he will not play year one and will only re-consider options year two.
The issue is if that player decides he wants to play for a 'better' team or bigger market, there's very little to protect the smaller market teams at the draft table. You see a number of these players fall to teams in the Toronto market simply because teams ahead of them don't want to risk coming up empty handed.

Imagine if Alexis Lafreniere said he'd only report to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Better yet, none of the top ten in this year's NHL draft is willing to report to the Ottawa Senators. Add to that half of these guys are in negotiations with teams in Europe. This sounds like junior hockey right now.

I'm not suggesting that prospects shouldn't be given options in whether or not they go the college route. The problem is how they use it as leverage and ultimately small market teams miss out on elite level talent because of it.

It's an issue.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oh, I agree. There would be a significant conditional package. But teams stepping up to the plate would need to pay a price. How good of a salesman is Adam Dennis?

Two picks in the first round in 2021 is nothing to scoff at either.

I think you take the risk. Try and sell the program to Fantilli over the summer and ask for a hard answer by training camp. If he flakes, you trade him and don't look back.

Reactions: Samee987

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The issue is if that player decides he wants to play for a 'better' team or bigger market, there's very little to protect the smaller market teams at the draft table. You see a number of these players fall to teams in the Toronto market simply because teams ahead of them don't want to risk coming up empty handed.

Imagine if Alexis Lafreniere said he'd only report to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Better yet, none of the top ten in this year's NHL draft is willing to report to the Ottawa Senators. Add to that half of these guys are in negotiations with teams in Europe. This sounds like junior hockey right now.

I'm not suggesting that prospects shouldn't be given options in whether or not they go the college route. The problem is how they use it as leverage and ultimately small market teams miss out on elite level talent because of it.

It's an issue.

There is no comparable for NHL, so no real issue for the sens.
If Fantilli wants to play for Niagara, draft and trade him. If like he says, he really does have any intention of playing in the OHL this season, just pass. No real issue of defect rule or NB being small market.

Reactions: Olden

O fan

Dec 9, 2019
He wants to play in Niagara, but what do they have to trade for.
Also, he left his JRC mM team after the early bird last year to avoid being compared to GTHL talent. Not sure he wears the crown because he played for a prep school.

Reactions: buzzer beater

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
Got to be honest here...I've never really been comfortable with a 15 year old kid having the kind of power as to hold an entire franchise by their short and curlies. Maybe I'm old fashioned, I don't know - but I believe in the principle that if a team is willing to commit to you, do the honourable thing and play for the team that drafts you. You have to declare your availability for the OHL draft...which is why to me at least, this reeks of a power move by Fantilli's camp. The way it is now, it amounts (kind of) to the larger market teams in the Ontario Hockey League being able to cherry pick high end talent by default - smaller market teams have a harder time competing with that kind of leverage and power. The funny thing is - It's been described here too...North Bay has it's own position of leverage. Any way they look, the return could potentially be very high. I'd do what a fellow poster mentioned and draft him regardless - give he and his team a hard deadline for a decision over the summer. If he reports...case closed. If he says "no"...then trade his rights and take the compensation. The one thing that would do is make drafting a home run type player at the Import Draft more important.

One thing - if trading for Luca's rights could get the younger Fantilli here - that creates an overload on the blueline. Does Luca even "have" the kind of talent needed to justify upending any one of the D-men we have right now - and if so, who goes to make room for him?

Reactions: O fan and belair

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Got to be honest here...I've never really been comfortable with a 15 year old kid having the kind of power as to hold an entire franchise by their short and curlies. Maybe I'm old fashioned, I don't know - but I believe in the principle that if a team is willing to commit to you, do the honourable thing and play for the team that drafts you. You have to declare your availability for the OHL draft...which is why to me at least, this reeks of a power move by Fantilli's camp. The way it is now, it amounts (kind of) to the larger market teams in the Ontario Hockey League being able to cherry pick high end talent by default - smaller market teams have a harder time competing with that kind of leverage and power. The funny thing is - It's been described here too...North Bay has it's own position of leverage. Any way they look, the return could potentially be very high. I'd do what a fellow poster mentioned and draft him regardless - give he and his team a hard deadline for a decision over the summer. If he reports...case closed. If he says "no"...then trade his rights and take the compensation. The one thing that would do is make drafting a home run type player at the Import Draft more important.

One thing - if trading for Luca's rights could get the younger Fantilli here - that creates an overload on the blueline. Does Luca even "have" the kind of talent needed to justify upending any one of the D-men we have right now - and if so, who goes to make room for him?
The 15 year old is taking the advise of his agent and parents who are just looking out for him , no problem with that. Both boys have committed to Chicago Steele , that's not a ploy , the older kid was already at prep school , trying to trade for his rights makes as much sense as giving his dad a job as stick boy, even if he was good enough . The family has made no secret that the NCAA has always been the goal , its not something that just came to light because the Battalion has the first overall pick.

Reactions: dirty12

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
The 15 year old is taking the advise of his agent and parents who are just looking out for him , no problem with that. Both boys have committed to Chicago Steele , that's not a ploy , the older kid was already at prep school , trying to trade for his rights makes as much sense as giving his dad a job as stick boy, even if he was good enough . The family has made no secret that the NCAA has always been the goal , its not something that just came to light because the Battalion has the first overall pick.
He (A. Fantilli) has already bounced from one team in order to play with his big brother Luca....what makes everybody think that something like that couldn't happen again? ) (From my own 15 year old son...)

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

McDonalds has committed to you even though you're smart enough to work as a lawyer. Are you going to work for McDonalds for the next 4 years because they "committed to you" even though you never asked them to? Or are you going to do what you feel is best for you and your future?

We're OHL fans so we look at it as the best but some kids like NCAA better. Hard to blame a kid

Reactions: The Prophet

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
McDonalds has committed to you even though you're smart enough to work as a lawyer. Are you going to work for McDonalds for the next 4 years because they "committed to you" even though you never asked them to? Or are you going to do what you feel is best for you and your future?

We're OHL fans so we look at it as the best but some kids like NCAA better. Hard to blame a kid
I thought kids in the OHL these days get education packages too - certainly better than the one I have in school at the moment! (LOL) I guess my issue stems from the fact that one has to declare their want/intent to be included in the draft - which from my perspective means that you "do" have an interest. If it was never an option and NCAA was his desire all along, why waste people's time to begin with? The one thing I admire the heck out of the kid for is his sense of family - more than one source has said that the brothers are incredibly close - and just as many people have inferred that if he jumped ship *once* to play alongside his big brother, there's no reason to think it couldn't happen again. Could a trade for Luca's rights from Niagara be a possibility? I looked it up on my own...Luca's stat line would suggest he has some offensive skill on the back end....13 goals, 42 points in 35 games this year, and NB is going to have an excess on the blue line in the coming season. Sounds simple - but if you get "one" of them, chances are the other could follow. May be a shot in the dark, but add that one to the long list of possibilities being discussed by all of us here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad