North Bay Battalion 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
If it ends up being Nelson id support it, North Bay is in a shit situation and Nelson appears to be a top flight enthusiastic dynamic defenseman who will play in this league for many seasons.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Um, maybe because the Niagaras mascot pours popcorn on their coaches head?
Or, because they got caught cheating the system?

Shall I’m i continue?
Popcorn a bit of fun. The cheating was a educational package not kept do not think it was draft manuipation I guess the gentlemen does not Ike Windsor either.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
The idea that North Bay is gonna pick Nelson over Fantilli in the 1st year we actually bottom out makes me sick. Nelson is a stud don’t get me wrong but come on it’s Fantilli. A top euro forward could make it hurt less

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
With the uncertainty of Fantilli I don’t know if they take Fantilli 2nd without having a 1st rounder next year. Pretty crazy draft class

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
With the uncertainty of Fantilli I don’t know if they take Fantilli 2nd without having a 1st rounder next year. Pretty crazy draft class
I'm really hoping you guys take Fantilli and leave Nelson for Niagara. If Niagara is stupid enough to take Fantilli and he doesn't report, there is no compensatory pick for Niagara due to the Cheating Burkes. If you take Fantilli, and he doesn't report, it delays your rebuild by a year but next year you'd be well compensated.

Cheers

Reactions: View from section 9

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Th
I'm really hoping you guys take Fantilli and leave Nelson for Niagara. If Niagara is stupid enough to take Fantilli and he doesn't report, there is no compensatory pick for Niagara due to the Cheating Burkes. If you take Fantilli, and he doesn't report, it delays your rebuild by a year but next year you'd be well compensated.

Cheers
The cheating was when Marty was GM

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Off the Draft topic for just a bit, is anyone else watching Cogeco’s “Classic Battalion” (2014) series? It is mostly home games so far, they started with a few in the regular season then moved into playoffs. It is really enjoyable to remember back 6 short years (seems like a lifetime ago) when Battalion hockey mattered. Round 1, Game 6 vs. NIA is on today, Game 7 Fri. and Round 2, Game 1 vs. BAR Sat. (Note: the TV schedule seems to change fairly frequently. So far, most games have aired at 1:00pm and 7:00pm.).

Reactions: belair

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
I'm going to say this - and I really don't care if people flame me for it. :) I'm starting to get a little tired of smaller market teams being leveraged by top end players and their camps; it's as though the bigger market teams get to cherry pick top talent by default because of it. No parity means that smaller teams are going to have a harder time surviving, especially in this climate. Someone made a good point; perhaps it is time that we have players formally declare their intent for the draft - whether they're going Major junior or NCAA. I see the (potential) dilemma North Bay is in - they can pick Fantilli...fans will be happy, but there is so much uncertainty about his OHL status. Would the potential haul if he doesn't report be worth the chance of calling the kid's bluff and playing hardball with his camp over the summer? Or they could pick Ty Nelson...the number one defenceman in the draft - and some people just wouldn't be satisfied. He'd always be seen as a "Plan B" type of player - only picked because the first option didn't work out, even though there is another opportunity to grab a game braking forward over the summer in the Import Draft.
PS-My Dad just asked...."Why not just throw caution to the wind, and pick another highly rated forward NOT named "Fantilli"?!? He isn't the only great player available..." Great Dad - throw a monkey wrench into everybody's plans! (LOL) OK then...if not Fantilli, then what forward? :P

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I'm going to say this - and I really don't care if people flame me for it. :) I'm starting to get a little tired of smaller market teams being leveraged by top end players and their camps; it's as though the bigger market teams get to cherry pick top talent by default because of it. No parity means that smaller teams are going to have a harder time surviving, especially in this climate. Someone made a good point; perhaps it is time that we have players formally declare their intent for the draft - whether they're going Major junior or NCAA. I see the (potential) dilemma North Bay is in - they can pick Fantilli...fans will be happy, but there is so much uncertainty about his OHL status. Would the potential haul if he doesn't report be worth the chance of calling the kid's bluff and playing hardball with his camp over the summer? Or they could pick Ty Nelson...the number one defenceman in the draft - and some people just wouldn't be satisfied. He'd always be seen as a "Plan B" type of player - only picked because the first option didn't work out, even though there is another opportunity to grab a game braking forward over the summer in the Import Draft.
PS-My Dad just asked...."Why not just throw caution to the wind, and pick another highly rated forward NOT named "Fantilli"?!? He isn't the only great player available..." Great Dad - throw a monkey wrench into everybody's plans! (LOL) OK then...if not Fantilli, then what forward? :P

If anything, if Fantilli is really so much better than the rest of the players in this draft, picking another top end player is the best play anyway if he won't report even for one season. If Nelson is a four year OHLer, but Fantilli plays age 17, age 18, then turns pro, the benefit to North Bay in having Nelson (who as a defender is much more likely to play four years even if a top end guy) vastly outstrips the benefit Fantilli brings, even if he ends up being a far superior NHL prospect.

Teams like Sarnia when they had Stamkos, then Galchenyuk, for a combined four seasons and never won anything should be a cautionary tale.

Reactions: View from section 9

the dog

May 16, 2014
I'm really hoping you guys take Fantilli and leave Nelson for Niagara. If Niagara is stupid enough to take Fantilli and he doesn't report, there is no compensatory pick for Niagara due to the Cheating Burkes. If you take Fantilli, and he doesn't report, it delays your rebuild by a year but next year you'd be well compensated.not if he goes to ushl next year

Cheers

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Off the Draft topic for just a bit, is anyone else watching Cogeco’s “Classic Battalion” (2014) series? It is mostly home games so far, they started with a few in the regular season then moved into playoffs. It is really enjoyable to remember back 6 short years (seems like a lifetime ago) when Battalion hockey mattered. Round 1, Game 6 vs. NIA is on today, Game 7 Fri. and Round 2, Game 1 vs. BAR Sat. (Note: the TV schedule seems to change fairly frequently. So far, most games have aired at 1:00pm and 7:00pm.).
Having endured all the sad sack efforts of the last few seasons, it’s been very enjoyable to watch the 2013-14 team and the great players it had. Whoever the scouts were in those days certainly earned their money having assembled a group with the likes of Barclay Goodrow, Mike Amadio, Nick Paul, Ben Thomson, Zach Bratina, Brett McKenzie, Vince Praplan and Mathew Santos. The defense was exceptionally strong with the veterans Dylan Blujus and Marcus McIvor alongside the “twin towers” Kyle Wood and Riley Bruce. Even the fourth line, the “energy line” of Connor Jarvis, Jamie Lewis and Jared Steege was entertaining as they buzzed around the ice on p-ks or pestered the better forwards of the opposition. No matter who they pick in the coming draft, it would be a treat for long suffering Battalion fans if management could find the pieces that resembled the team of those days.

Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Having endured all the sad sack efforts of the last few seasons, it’s been very enjoyable to watch the 2013-14 team and the great players it had. Whoever the scouts were in those days certainly earned their money having assembled a group with the likes of Barclay Goodrow, Mike Amadio, Nick Paul, Ben Thomson, Zach Bratina, Brett McKenzie, Vince Praplan and Mathew Santos. The defense was exceptionally strong with the veterans Dylan Blujus and Marcus McIvor alongside the “twin towers” Kyle Wood and Riley Bruce. Even the fourth line, the “energy line” of Connor Jarvis, Jamie Lewis and Jared Steege was entertaining as they buzzed around the ice on p-ks or pestered the better forwards of the opposition. No matter who they pick in the coming draft, it would be a treat for long suffering Battalion fans if management could find the pieces that resembled the team of those days.
I have always said that Zach Bratina was the most skilled player on the gardens ice , no telling what his numbers would have been if he had of not has to retire early , the season Butler finally played him .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->