North Bay Battalion 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
Or shock the world....if Fantilli and his camp are using the USHL in an attempt at leveraging where he'll play in the OHL (why not? it's been done before...) then draft him anyway and hold his rights for a king's ransom - he plays for no team in the OHL until NB gets exactly what they want and not a pick or player less.

That being said...*if* NB says "forget about him" and decides to go another route - where should they go...Nelson, Fimis, McGroarty and why? I'd have my doubts about McGroarty myself - he's a Notre Dame commit already.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Or shock the world....if Fantilli and his camp are using the USHL in an attempt at leveraging where he'll play in the OHL (why not? it's been done before...) then draft him anyway and hold his rights for a king's ransom - he plays for no team in the OHL until NB gets exactly what they want and not a pick or player less.

That being said...*if* NB says "forget about him" and decides to go another route - where should they go...Nelson, Fimis, McGroarty and why? I'd have my doubts about McGroarty myself - he's a Notre Dame commit already.

Anything it possible. But Literally everything Fantilli has ever done has suggested NCAA. In an interview last year they asked his hockey goals and he said to play NCAA hockey. Leaves the best minor midget team in the country to go to US and play prep school hockey. Is on NCAA recruiting visits last week. Commits to USHL.

If its all a ploy to get to a certain OHL team, it's the most well drawn out ploy that's ever been done.

Reactions: The Prophet

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016

I would assume offence is a high priority. But Nelson would look good on the D. As it stands
Rose-Christopoulos
Winslow-Mayotte
Hollett-Thompson
Schuelting-Henderson
Nelson is a RD. If drafted I would assume Hendo is cut/traded and pacey traded, bring in Nelson and deploy Thompson as the 7th D

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Not surprising, wouldve been more of a shock if he wasn’t affiliated with anyone else before the draft. Doesn’t change anything for me

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
RE: Fantilli.
A tender simply means that the Chicago Steel have reached out to Fantilli, and he's agreed to sign with them IF he chooses the USHL. In other words, he can only play for Chicago IF he chooses the USHL. I think he will based on a recent article from The Hockey News indicating Chicago (USHL) is his likely destination for 2020-2021 because he wants to play in Chicago for one year alongside his brother.
However, to be precise, a tender simply means that he's committed to a particular team (in this case, Chicago) but NOT a particular league. In other words, it's possible that an OHL team drafts him on April 4th and he plays in the O in 2020-2021 however unlikely that scenario is.
According to the Hockey News, there's a good chance that Fantilli will play in the OHL beginning 2021-2022. North Bay could draft him first overall, and wait a season. FWIW, Fantilli said that his (likely) decision to play in Chicago 2020-2021 has nothing to do with trying to avoid NB, and that if he came to the O at some point, he'd have no problem with playing in NB.
Interesting development!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
FWIW, Fantilli said that his (likely) decision to play in Chicago 2020-2021 has nothing to do with trying to avoid NB, and that if he came to the O at some point, he'd have no problem with playing in NB.
I couldn't find a source for this?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's a tough situation. On one hand the value of him either playing in North Bay or anywhere else in the OHL in 2021-22 is incredibly significant. They have a year to capitalize on it one way or the other. On the other hand, if he chooses to commit to an NCAA program and the market dries up on him, can the Battalion settle on the compensatory pick?

Personally I prefer the gamble. Nelson is going to be a very good player, but Fantilli has that extra year of eligibility. If he does decide to commit, you get another year to load up on a supporting cast.

That being said, their import better bloody commit.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
RE: Fantilli.
A tender simply means that the Chicago Steel have reached out to Fantilli, and he's agreed to sign with them IF he chooses the USHL. In other words, he can only play for Chicago IF he chooses the USHL. I think he will based on a recent article from The Hockey News indicating Chicago (USHL) is his likely destination for 2020-2021 because he wants to play in Chicago for one year alongside his brother.
However, to be precise, a tender simply means that he's committed to a particular team (in this case, Chicago) but NOT a particular league. In other words, it's possible that an OHL team drafts him on April 4th and he plays in the O in 2020-2021 however unlikely that scenario is.
According to the Hockey News, there's a good chance that Fantilli will play in the OHL beginning 2021-2022. North Bay could draft him first overall, and wait a season. FWIW, Fantilli said that his (likely) decision to play in Chicago 2020-2021 has nothing to do with trying to avoid NB, and that if he came to the O at some point, he'd have no problem with playing in NB.
Interesting development!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It always amazes me how grown adults can have such contempt for children not playing hockey for one's favorite team.
It amazes me how little the league protects smaller market teams from this nonsense that happens consistently. At least the USHL looks like a bigger clown show when a top team can add a top talent just through player commitment. No draft necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad