North Bay Battalion 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
I've been pretty hard on the team at times this year and I feel most often it was warranted but nights like tonight are why I keep going.
What a great game, start to finish and top to bottom in the lineup.
They should be extremely proud of themselves for a brief moment and then turn the focus to doing it again tomorrow.
Battalion hockey was on full display and while I hate to say it but playing like that they could scare someone in the playoffs if they sneak in.

Go Troops Go!!!

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
I've been pretty hard on the team at times this year and I feel most often it was warranted but nights like tonight are why I keep going.
What a great game, start to finish and top to bottom in the lineup.
They should be extremely proud of themselves for a brief moment and then turn the focus to doing it again tomorrow.
Battalion hockey was on full display and while I hate to say it but playing like that they could scare someone in the playoffs if they sneak in.

Go Troops Go!!!

..lol...Don't get too excited, it was #18 beating #17!!!!!

Last edited:

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Stanley ? Stanley who ?

He should step down as head coach and just GM the team.
Obviously they aren't playing for him anymore as was apparent in the solid team effort put on last night.
Not even close to the same team that was iced all season.

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
Stanley ? Stanley who ?

He should step down as head coach and just GM the team.
Obviously they aren't playing for him anymore as was apparent in the solid team effort put on last night.
Not even close to the same team that was iced all season.

My son...have you seen what is coaching 80 miles west down the road?? Get real here.. Stan has forgotten more then the 3 of them combined. Just sayin..

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
My son...have you seen what is coaching 80 miles west down the road?? Get real here.. Stan has forgotten more then the 3 of them combined. Just sayin..

Yep. Coaching is the reason they missed the playoffs...

:rolleyes:

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
I guess the coaching theory was that because Sime had a shutout in the Thursday game that he deserved the start in Sudbury but I thought that was throwing Moran under the bus. Whatever shortcomings Moran has, he is the proven OHL level player and being an O/A, these are his final opportunities to play. In the years ahead I'm sure he would want to remember that he tried his best in these final games. I'm no Don Cherry but I think Moran deserved the start in Sudbury and if things went south then maybe put Sime in. Looking ahead to next season, I see Sime as a competent back-up but not the first-rate major junior goalie this team will need.

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
If there is a tie Niagara will visit North Bay for a play in game on Tuesday but if the Icedogs pick a point tonight or Sunday than North Bay is eliminated

Where did you see this? If North Bay wins Sunday and Niagara doesn't manage 1 point in their final two games, both teams will be tied but North Bay will have more wins and thus 8th place.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Where did you see this? If North Bay wins Sunday and Niagara doesn't manage 1 point in their final two games, both teams will be tied but North Bay will have more wins and thus 8th place.

Yeah, there's no play-in games. It's wins, then I'm pretty sure it's season series.

I'll be stat watching because that 7th seed is still up for grabs between the Sudbury and Niagara but I wouldn't count on Niagara losing out. They deserve to make the playoffs.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Yeah, there's no play-in games. It's wins, then I'm pretty sure it's season series.

I'll be stat watching because that 7th seed is still up for grabs between the Sudbury and Niagara but I wouldn't count on Niagara losing out. They deserve to make the playoffs.

Not for eight place in playin game and the team with most wins get home ice but if Niagara gets appoint against Sudbury tonight or a win they clinch the last playoff spot

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not for eight place in playin game and the team with most wins get home ice but if Niagara gets appoint against Sudbury tonight or a win they clinch the last playoff spot

Turns out you are correct.

SUDDEN-DEATH PLAYOFF FORMULA (FOR FINAL PLAYOFF POSITION)

Between Two Teams:

1. Two teams tied for the final playoff position will play a sudden-death game to be hosted by the centre determined higher in the standings by the OHL tie-breaking system. The winner will be declared higher in the standings.

Between Three Teams for One Playoff Position:

1. A sudden-death game will be played between the two teams having the lowest percentage as calculated by dividing the sum of goals ‘for’ plus the total goals ‘against’ into the total goals ‘for’. The home team will be determined by utilizing the OHL tie-breaking system.

2. A second sudden-death game will be played between the winner of the preliminary sudden-death game and the remaining team. The home team will be determined by utilizing the OHL tie-breaking system. The winner will be declared higher in the standings.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/playoff-format/

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Thanks for the clarification. So there you go North Bay fans: It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Can't be eliminated from playoffs by goals/wins/so on - if both are tied in points there would be a 1 game playoff for 8th. 1 through 7 can be decided by wins/goals as it does not mean elimination from the playoffs - OHL website usually has a break down on this.

Guess I was a little slow posting this

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So the draft strategy is take Ryan Suzuki early and once he demands a trade West we reload? Sucks not having our 2nd rounder this year. Hope Stan has some moves up his sleeve to upgrade the roster. Guys like Bruce and Poirier should be handed their walking papers early on IMO. Time to change the leadership group.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
So the draft strategy is take Ryan Suzuki early and once he demands a trade West we reload? Sucks not having our 2nd rounder this year. Hope Stan has some moves up his sleeve to upgrade the roster. Guys like Bruce and Poirier should be handed their walking papers early on IMO. Time to change the leadership group.

We do have Oshawa's 2nd don't we?

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
So you're telling me there's a chance. Sudbury beats Niagara tonight, we beat Kingston and Missy beats Niagara we're hosting a tie-breaker Tuesday. Go Troops

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Its like a candle burning down to the nub - really low - but it ain't out yet (today at least). One of those rare occasions when Troop fans were cheering for the Wolves to win in regulation.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Fat Lady may be warming up but she ain't on stage yet. Good luck tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad