North Bay Battalion 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattCents

Apr 6, 2016
Well that was a sad way to end our season and was sad seeing the heart of our team, Smitty, leave the ice for the last time. It was a successful season and I think the coaching staff got everything they could out of this group and ended up finishing exactly where they probably should have. Too bad about the sweep and a 6-0 shutout mind you. Looking forward to next year and see what comes of it. Now lets hope the fans in North Bay don't abandon the team because they didn't finish in the final four this year.

Hub

Apr 13, 2016
I am extremely happy to see what next season has in store for North Bay.

We had 7 Full Time rookies on our roster this year (That's not counting Chenier who only plaid 9 regular season games)

We had 9 players who have their birth years in 98-99 (Not counting Chenier again as he played only 9 regular season games.)

I think we will see a change of 97's in the forward position as Baird my be or has already requested a trade and after Colella showing he can play well with players like Amadio and Santos can be considered trade bait as well to bring back a new O/A or some young talent from the 99's birth year.

As for Defense, I hope we can really rely on Bruce the way we did with McIvor or Miller a few years ago. I don't think he was that player this year. He defiantly has the potential to be one of the premier D's in the league he, to me, has yet to show it CONSTANTLY. The other 97's in Shoemaker and Shankar have really shown me that they can be looked upon as go to guys late in games. Shankar has some work to do with the fact that at times he tries to do to much to make the hit and will find himself out of position but other than that he has really shown SOOOOOO much improvement from not only last year to this but from his rookie year with the traps. He shows that he has speed and the ability to dangle which makes he really dangerous at both ends of the ice.

I think Ramalho has a bit of work to do to prove that he belongs in the OHL as an everyday player, if he wants to crack that 2016-17 lineup. There is always a new wave of guys looking to knock off the weakest link to climb that latter. Unfortunately Ramalho is the last guy on the depth chart and could find himself as a scratched more often type of player again or back at teir II.

I'm really hoping that Butler can work his amazing magic and get Forrest(97) to wave his NCAA eligibility. I feel that him and Woroniuk(99) will settle in nicely by mid Nov, by that I mean shed the rookie nerves, and can be a solid one, two punch that teams will fear.

And to me the final variable that we will have to play the waiting game on is Cam Morrison. Depending on his NHL draft, we may get to see him in the olive green before we know it. Once the rights of a player are selected by an NHL organization they basically have full control of their lives and if the brass of said NHL organization feels that major junior in Canada is the best place for Cam's development then he will basically have no choice to join us or his hockey career could be over before he knows it.

All and all I think that if we can find the scoring in the depth of our lineup this team is going to be dangerous not only this year but for 3 years to come.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Admire your optimism Hub but looking ahead I don't see a whole lot to be excited about for next season. The players mentioned all have the potential to make a middle-of-the-pack club and it will take all of Butler's bag of tricks to make the playoffs again. I agree with your concern about team support. We saw some signs of lower attendance in this round of playoffs and it will be interesting to see the rate at which those who signed on for three years when they first came here choose to sign on for three more or not. As we know well from earlier days, the Battalion is a business that either has to show a profit or, at the very least, break even to stay healthy. As Bert Templeton used to say, there's nothing like winning to bring out the fans. We saw it in their first season when Jamie Lewis scored to eliminate Oshawa - the old barn on Chippewa was never louder and its a wonder we all didn't have hearing damage. Think of a powerhouse Battalion team that visiting teams dread to play - I do - in my dreams anyway.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Admire your optimism Hub but looking ahead I don't see a whole lot to be excited about for next season. The players mentioned all have the potential to make a middle-of-the-pack club and it will take all of Butler's bag of tricks to make the playoffs again. I agree with your concern about team support. We saw some signs of lower attendance in this round of playoffs and it will be interesting to see the rate at which those who signed on for three years when they first came here choose to sign on for three more or not. As we know well from earlier days, the Battalion is a business that either has to show a profit or, at the very least, break even to stay healthy. As Bert Templeton used to say, there's nothing like winning to bring out the fans. We saw it in their first season when Jamie Lewis scored to eliminate Oshawa - the old barn on Chippewa was never louder and its a wonder we all didn't have hearing damage. Think of a powerhouse Battalion team that visiting teams dread to play - I do - in my dreams anyway.

I think this is why Stan should visit all avenues regarding moving a couple of our guys out prior to the season starting. I'd hold onto Poirier and hope his game improves more next year and unless there's an over-payment I think McKenzie would be safe with the potential of him playing his overage season here.

But with him being a Calgary pick, there may be some slight interest for a guy like Bruce. I know the fans like him but his ability to possess the puck hasn't developed as quickly as some had hoped here and seeing where he's likely to end up on our depth chart next season, I think it's a good gamble to cash in on what value he has at age 19. Him facing top competition next year would be a recipe for disaster. I think Shoemaker, Lyle and perhaps an overager would be a reasonable expectation for the right side for next year.

And I'm calling it now, but I think Brazeau emerges next year in a way similar to how Santos did this year. Obviously the points won't come as easily, but this is a kid with a ton of size and decent skating ability. With a bit more confidence holding the puck, there's a potential for a Nick Paul clone.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
..agree on Blaze....started to show some moves..late season...protects puck on the wall like Nick..

Troops fan

Mar 24, 2014
I think this is why Stan should visit all avenues regarding moving a couple of our guys out prior to the season starting. I'd hold onto Poirier and hope his game improves more next year and unless there's an over-payment I think McKenzie would be safe with the potential of him playing his overage season here.

But with him being a Calgary pick, there may be some slight interest for a guy like Bruce. I know the fans like him but his ability to possess the puck hasn't developed as quickly as some had hoped here and seeing where he's likely to end up on our depth chart next season, I think it's a good gamble to cash in on what value he has at age 19. Him facing top competition next year would be a recipe for disaster. I think Shoemaker, Lyle and perhaps an overager would be a reasonable expectation for the right side for next year.

And I'm calling it now, but I think Brazeau emerges next year in a way similar to how Santos did this year. Obviously the points won't come as easily, but this is a kid with a ton of size and decent skating ability. With a bit more confidence holding the puck, there's a potential for a Nick Paul clone.

I believe you are way off base in terms of your view on Riley Bruce. He is an 18 yr old defender who had a fantastic first half of the year. He was a shut down guy with Liberati and continued in that role after he left. His suspension in the new year was a detriment to his on going development. Riley's.game is to be physical and take care of his own end. When Dave Branch hands out suspensions for good clean hockey checks like the hit on Tippet, that takes away from ones game. A hit that is not even a penalty in the NHL results in a 10 game suspension in Dave Branch's OHL which is absolutely ridiculous. Playing under Branch's rules hinders a player like Riley's development.
And one other thing Belair, before you become some critical of our players maybe you should consider that some, including Riley, played out the second half of the season with significant injuries. That is a true sign of a leader and a warrior. It's too bad people like you slam our players without understanding the full story.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I believe you are way off base in terms of your view on Riley Bruce. He is an 18 yr old defender who had a fantastic first half of the year. He was a shut down guy with Liberati and continued in that role after he left. His suspension in the new year was a detriment to his on going development. Riley's.game is to be physical and take care of his own end. When Dave Branch hands out suspensions for good clean hockey checks like the hit on Tippet, that takes away from ones game. A hit that is not even a penalty in the NHL results in a 10 game suspension in Dave Branch's OHL which is absolutely ridiculous. Playing under Branch's rules hinders a player like Riley's development.
And one other thing Belair, before you become some critical of our players maybe you should consider that some, including Riley, played out the second half of the season with significant injuries. That is a true sign of a leader and a warrior. It's too bad people like you slam our players without understanding the full story.

It's fair to be defensive about his game and I don't doubt there have been injuries scattered throughout his junior career but I stand by my criticisms of this player.

He is a defensive defenseman and that's all. I've watched his entire OHL career unfold in North Bay and I can (and have) identified the strengths in his game. He's a big kid, he's got a big reach and when he gets set up right, he's got a big shot. But for a guy to be approaching 30 minutes a night on the top pairing playing against the other team's best players, you have to have the ability to provide offense as well. And he doesn't have that yet. Riley's ability to carry the puck at this level still leaves a lot to be desired. He doesn't think or do things fast enough and teams can take advantage of that.

It's unfortunate he was suspended in those instances, but that isn't going to change the fact that those suspensions will continue happening if he doesn't adjust his game. The NHL and junior hockey are both trying to eliminate head injuries and big guys like him are going to have to acclimate.

I think a lot of his awkwardness with the puck still has a lot to do with growth but if he wants to find himself with a professional contract down the line, he's going to have to develop that part of his game.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Also can't wait to see what the summer is going to do for Brady Lyle. While he did make mistakes (as a 16 year old) it didn't change his game. A few more pounds of muscle and I think he's going to be next yrs version of Cam Dineen.

On Sunday when most of his teammates were either saying their goodbyes or enjoying the beautiful weather in North Bay, Brady was shooting pucks in his driveway. Amazing work ethic and commitment to improve.

Good luck Brady, can't wait to see you excel next season.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
David Sherman

The Battalion had a number of 1-6 goal forwards. Maybe David wasn't contributing defensively as well as some of the others.

How about this for draft selections. Consecutive 2nd rounders: 2013 Mike Baird; 2014 David Sherman. Yikes.

McMatty

Nov 9, 2002
North Bay ON
Next year definitely looks like it will be a rebuild year. There are two huge weaknesses heading into next year; goal scoring, and goaltending. This is a team that needs to replace the goal scoring of three top forwards in Santos, Amadio, and Bratina. At the same time, they will need two new goalies (I doubt Kment is back).

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Next year definitely looks like it will be a rebuild year. There are two huge weaknesses heading into next year; goal scoring, and goaltending. This is a team that needs to replace the goal scoring of three top forwards in Santos, Amadio, and Bratina. At the same time, they will need two new goalies (I doubt Kment is back).

I hope we see a guy brought in via trade or via Import. One interesting possibility would be if Daniel Vladar (BOS) was being directed to go the CHL route. He's apparently ineligible for US college hockey, so maybe he'd be a decent target at the draft.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
I hope we see a guy brought in via trade or via Import. One interesting possibility would be if Daniel Vladar (BOS) was being directed to go the CHL route. He's apparently ineligible for US college hockey, so maybe he'd be a decent target at the draft.

I thought you couldn't draft Euro goaltenders anymore??

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I thought you couldn't draft Euro goaltenders anymore??

You'd be correct, the CHL added that rule in 2013. Why is it doubtful that Kment will be back? Wouldn't you want him in while rotating through a couple of the goalie prospects to get experience?

At a quick glance you've got Garrett Forrest playing for Powassan, and Jack Ondrovic playing in the CCHL. Those are who I see as your best potential draftees who could step in.

If you wanted to trade for a goalie, what pieces do you think Stan would be willing to give up? I'm not sure how much the Battalion has to offer.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
You'd be correct, the CHL added that rule in 2013. Why is it doubtful that Kment will be back? Wouldn't you want him in while rotating through a couple of the goalie prospects to get experience?

At a quick glance you've got Garrett Forrest playing for Powassan, and Jack Ondrovic playing in the CCHL. Those are who I see as your best potential draftees who could step in.

If you wanted to trade for a goalie, what pieces do you think Stan would be willing to give up? I'm not sure how much the Battalion has to offer.

One of Mancina or Wells will almost certainly be available. I know Butler loves Wells from the U17's.

Hub

Apr 13, 2016

JACK ONDROVIC???? Did you see him in Powassan. He was not good. He WILL NEVER see the light of the OHL.

Forrest is definitely the guy that seems the best to be able to step into the starters role. HOWEVER, there is about a 95% chance he opts for NCAA. I think Woroniuk is gonna have to be the guy. Its tough to keep Kment as an O/A. Stan will have to work some magic and go find a solid goalie in his O/A year (Like smith) or a guy with a '97 birth year with experience that Woroniuk can grow under.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
JACK ONDROVIC???? Did you see him in Powassan. He was not good. He WILL NEVER see the light of the OHL.

Forrest is definitely the guy that seems the best to be able to step into the starters role. HOWEVER, there is about a 95% chance he opts for NCAA. I think Woroniuk is gonna have to be the guy. Its tough to keep Kment as an O/A. Stan will have to work some magic and go find a solid goalie in his O/A year (Like smith) or a guy with a '97 birth year with experience that Woroniuk can grow under.

It won't be Kment. Stanley was quoted in a press release a while back saying he will not be using an overage spot on Kment. I am looking for it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The battalion just completed a pretty successful re-tooling season. Overall, they will be an older team than last season. Someone always steps up offensively for Butler in their age 19 or 20 year. Good goalies can be acquired relatively cheap. I think NB finishes top 3 again this season with less of a gap from the top.

Hub

Apr 13, 2016
It won't be Kment. Stanley was quoted in a press release a while back saying he will not be using an overage spot on Kment. I am looking for it.

I could see him Keeping Kment until the OA deadline to add some "veteran presence" for either Woroniuk or Forrest. But even then if he does works some magic in the offseason to acquire a goalie then we will definitely not see Kment back.

Hub

Apr 13, 2016
The battalion just completed a pretty successful re-tooling season. Overall, they will be an older team than last season. Someone always steps up offensively for Butler in their age 19 or 20 year. Good goalies can be acquired relatively cheap. I think NB finishes top 3 again this season with less of a gap from the top.

Like I said before McKenzie is on the same pace as Goodrow was season for season. I could see him step up. I think we will see Potts and Brazeau become solid secondary scoring. As well as Hargrave, if he stays healthy, will be a solid O/A. I can see him being like a Santos and quietly put up between 20-30 goals this year.

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
Like I said before McKenzie is on the same pace as Goodrow was season for season. I could see him step up. I think we will see Potts and Brazeau become solid secondary scoring. As well as Hargrave, if he stays healthy, will be a solid O/A. I can see him being like a Santos and quietly put up between 20-30 goals this year.

Porier should be able to step up his game also...he's got all the tools in the box....he can also net you twenty!!!

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
One of Mancina or Wells will almost certainly be available. I know Butler loves Wells from the U17's.

Wells would be a big get for the Battalion. Although he's probably fallen off the radar at the draft, he's still a very high potential goaltender. I can't see PBO letting him go too easily.

I brought him up in the last thread but Colton Point is a local kid who shot up the draft rankings this year in the CCHL. It'd be awesome if Stan could trade for his rights and convince him to forgo the US college route to play junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad