North Bay Battalion 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is this just sarcasm or is there some truth here?

It's throwing **** against the wall.

As for the slight chance we slip by Niagara, I notice Mantha was scratched tonight. Anyone know if he's hurt? That's a big hole in Niagara's lineup if he's not playing vs Niagara Missy.

Last edited:

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
It's throwing **** against the wall.

As for the slight chance we slip by Niagara, I notice Mantha was scratched tonight. Anyone know if he's hurt? That's a big hole in Niagara's lineup if he's not playing vs Niagara.

2 game suspension for too many fights.

chriryan

Jun 26, 2012
Does not look good

Kingston has something to play for today they can lock up home ice in there playoff series won't be resting anyone this afternoon I'm hoping but sime is gonna have to steal of be and hope Missy doesn't rest guys.

veteranopinion

Feb 16, 2017
Help Needed

Dogs in tough vs Missy today and Bat's in tough vs Front's...will be interesting to see how it plays out. I would think Moran is back in tonight, could be his last Jr game, lets hope not though. Go Battalion.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sounded like a gutsy effort from the Troops but they still come up just too short despite getting the help from Sudbury and Missy. It's kind of fitting. This is a team that just couldn't help themselves this season.

I'm looking forward to to see the team that comes into camp next season. There might be a lot of new faces.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
..courtesy to play OA for his last game....only reason not pulled in any period..last game....I save playoff$ and Battalion were NOT going too faranyway...come on drafts 2 of em euro...OHL mnor mdget..U!8..there is 5 players right there...1 or 2 from Voodoos...up to 7...a walk on..theres 8..now cut some deadweight..

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Sime plays we win that game. Just too bad that a below average OA goalie playing the final game of the season is more important than getting the win?

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Sime played on Friday and we didn't win that one.

Sime also stood on his head Friday or they would have given up 10 as they we badly outplayed. Today was a game that the goalie just needed to be good for them to win and they just didn't get good goaltending. 2 soft ones at least.

Sorry for being honest.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sime also stood on his head Friday or they would have given up 10 as they we badly outplayed. Today was a game that the goalie just needed to be good for them to win and they just didn't get good goaltending. 2 soft ones at least.

Sorry for being honest.

No apology needed. I'm not going to tell you Moran hasn't let in soft goals all year because that would be dishonest. But this team just wasn't very good this year and they coughed up their shot at a playoff berth several times over these past few weeks.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
No apology needed. I'm not going to tell you Moran hasn't let in soft goals all year because that would be dishonest. But this team just wasn't very good this year and they coughed up their shot at a playoff berth several times over these past few weeks.

I tried to say something like that on the fan page but a few people just gave excuses. North Bay wasn't good at all and that's alright. It's part of the cycle. Now if they have a good draft this summer, in both the Euro and OHL draft, they can be deadly in 2-3 years time. The OHL is better off with North Bay in the playoffs. Hope this is just a one year layover.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
I tried to say something like that on the fan page but a few people just gave excuses. North Bay wasn't good at all and that's alright. It's part of the cycle. Now if they have a good draft this summer, in both the Euro and OHL draft, they can be deadly in 2-3 years time. The OHL is better off with North Bay in the playoffs. Hope this is just a one year layover.

People on the fan page seem to sugarcoat everything . A lot of them are very not very educated when it comes to the game. Anyway the way I saw it, Butler didn't really want to make the playoffs by playing Moran. I think he was happy to secure the 3rd pick. Now it's to get the best player he can to want to report here. I do agree that it will be a couple of seasons yet before this francise has a contending team. I still say Butler should just be GM and leave the coaching to someone else. IMO. He's done some very questionable things (over the past couple of seasons). But he is the head coach, and I've yet to see a championship beside his name.

Last edited:

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
People on the fan page seem to sugarcoat everything . A lot of them are very not very educated when it comes to the game. Anyway that way I saw it, Butler didn't really want to make the playoffs by playing Moran. I think he was happy to secure the 3rd pick. Now it's to get the best player he can to want to report here. I do agree that it will be a couple of seasons yet before this francise has a contending team. I still say Butler should just be GM and leave the coaching to someone else. IMO. He's done some very questionable things (over the past couple of seasons). But he is the head coach, and I've yet to see a championship beside his name.

What 'Butler didn't really want to make the playoffs" He should be fired if that's what he was doing.:amazed:

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
People on the fan page seem to sugarcoat everything . A lot of them are very not very educated when it comes to the game. Anyway the way I saw it, Butler didn't really want to make the playoffs by playing Moran. I think he was happy to secure the 3rd pick. Now it's to get the best player he can to want to report here. I do agree that it will be a couple of seasons yet before this francise has a contending team. I still say Butler should just be GM and leave the coaching to someone else. IMO. He's done some very questionable things (over the past couple of seasons). But he is the head coach, and I've yet to see a championship beside his name.

...lol...and what level of coaching have you obtained? Probably can't even lace up a pair of skates, yet you are a critic!!!

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
You must be one of them sugarcoaters !

Not at all! Fact, if you're so knowledgeable, what is the coach suppose to do when the two best defencemen on the team went down? You're asking kids to play minutes against the other teams top lines. There were games he had to put Shoemaker and Shankar out there every second shift. With all the injuries, there was a revolving door of affiliate players.

You still never answered my question, What level of coaching have you obtained to make you so knowledgeable than any one else?

IceCube

Mar 20, 2014
Battalion 2016-2017

I think it is fair to say that the Bats have had three pretty good years prior to this year. There is no way a club is going to replace a 52 goal scorer (Amadio) so I am sure Butler hoped that these goals would come by way of committee. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

The fact that they were in a playoff race right up to the end is an accomplishment. Losing NHL drafted Dineen and his 59 points is a loss no team can recover from. How much better with the power play be with Dineen patrolling the blue line. How much puck possession time would be in the Bats favour. Someone also had to eat up the 25-30 minutes a game he would use. Whether you like Riley Bruce or not, he is also NHL drafted, competes hard and is vastly better then any of the Powassan players called in to help. I suggest that if you take the top to defensemen off any other team, they will drop in the standings.

Then we have a variety of injuries to various forwards (Ball, Vertiy. Kislinger to name a few) then we really do have a recipe for a poor season. With six first year players and four second year players having to play more than they should, I suggest that it bodes well for the future of this club.

This is not a rebuild, it is a re-tooling.

Stan has an excess of overage players and with some stellar moves, a good draft, things will get better. Have faith!

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Which players do you expect back as overagers?

Bruce
McKenzie
Saban
Shankar
Shoemaker

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Which players do you expect back as overagers?

Bruce
McKenzie
Saban
Shankar
Shoemaker
Bruce
McKenzie
Saban - if not Saban a top level OA forward that he trades for.

He really needs to develop or trade for a young D or 2 imo. If all things remain equal he loses Bruce, Thilander, Dineen and possibly Saban as noted above after next year with only Allair and Lyle returning for 2018/19

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
“I would rather stick warm knitting needles in my eyes than go to North Bay on Tuesday,†a relieved IceDogs head coach Dave Bell said after the playoff picture finally came into focus.

Niagara Falls Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->