North Bay Battalion 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
You must be one of them sugarcoaters !

I think Stan had his hands tied after all the injuries occurred and he had to call up the Voodoos that had a great winning streak going. Moran was a bust after he returned from his injury granted. Loosing Ryan was not good either, but great for him in Flint.

IceCube hit it right on the head.

quote: "This is not a rebuild, it is a re-tooling."

Still haven't seen what level of coaching have you obtained or how many games you attended this past season??

Keep the faith and good things happen in life.
Stan/Scott will never go 2 years without a playoff team. Can't wait till Sept. camp!

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
People on the fan page seem to sugarcoat everything . A lot of them are very not very educated when it comes to the game. Anyway the way I saw it, Butler didn't really want to make the playoffs by playing Moran. I think he was happy to secure the 3rd pick. Now it's to get the best player he can to want to report here. I do agree that it will be a couple of seasons yet before this francise has a contending team. I still say Butler should just be GM and leave the coaching to someone else. IMO. He's done some very questionable things (over the past couple of seasons). But he is the head coach, and I've yet to see a championship beside his name.
Saying he didnt want to make the playoffs is uneducated

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
People on the fan page seem to sugarcoat everything . A lot of them are very not very educated when it comes to the game. Anyway the way I saw it, Butler didn't really want to make the playoffs by playing Moran. I think he was happy to secure the 3rd pick. Now it's to get the best player he can to want to report here. I do agree that it will be a couple of seasons yet before this francise has a contending team. I still say Butler should just be GM and leave the coaching to someone else. IMO. He's done some very questionable things (over the past couple of seasons). But he is the head coach, and I've yet to see a championship beside his name.

Don't get me started on the fb fanpage lol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Which players do you expect back as overagers?

Bruce Traded
McKenzie Utica
Saban Released/Traded
Shankar
Shoemaker

Probably add an OA forward. We relied far too much on Steven Harland this season to not have a similar type of forward next season. We simply don't have anyone of McKenzie or Harland's skill level on the roster next season. We are deep at defense. I'd expect that to change this summer.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Probably add an OA forward. We relied far too much on Steven Harland this season to not have a similar type of forward next season. We simply don't have anyone of McKenzie or Harland's skill level on the roster next season. We are deep at defense. I'd expect that to change this summer.
As we have seen over the years Stan is loyal to his longterm vets ie: not trading Amadio last year or McKenzie this year so the only way Bruce is not in North Bay next year is if he signs with Calgary and the start developing him otherwise he's a 2 year captain.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As we have seen over the years Stan is loyal to his longterm vets ie: not trading Amadio last year or McKenzie this year so the only way Bruce is not in North Bay next year is if he signs with Calgary and the start developing him otherwise he's a 2 year captain.

Agreed. It seems that way with the old school coaches-GM's that are firmly entrenched int heir positions. They have the security of knowing if they want to be loyal they can because they have secure jobs. They are also not looking to advance to a higher league so they settle in where they are, foster a strong organization where the players are taken care of.

Brian Kilrea also used to do this.

I don't agree with it, personally, but there is something to be said for the positives of doing that.

This is what I talk about with respect to non-championship coach's and GM's like Stan Butler. They like status quo because it is safe. They coach and manage the same way. They do the least amount possible to garner as much possible success year after year while trying to avoid the cycle that has formed over the last 15 or so years.

Stan Butler will NEVER win a Championship because as a GM, he is not willing to make the player moves required and does not coach to develop talent, he coaches not to lose. This means he spends far too much energy on developing systems as opposed to developing players skills.

It is unfortunate in some respects because talented players stagnate BUT the less talented players gain more success because the game is played at their speed.

Stan Butler is a good, stable Coach and GM. He is perfect for a city that needs stability. North Bay s that city right now. Sooner or later the fan base will sour on that strategy just like many fans in Ottawa soured on Brian Kilrea as a GM. I can't count how many fans in Ottawa used to tear strips off me for criticizing Brian Kilrea only to end up on my side in future years.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

While I'd worry this might be the case, there is a substantial difference between him and the two aforementioned vets...that being they were team leaders and he's barely keeping his head above water on a healthy roster next season.

Thilander is better, Lyle is better....even Shoemaker offers more than Bruce at this stage. Those are three right shots ahead of him on the depth chart. Where does he fit?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Agreed. It seems that way with the old school coaches-GM's that are firmly entrenched int heir positions. They have the security of knowing if they want to be loyal they can because they have secure jobs. They are also not looking to advance to a higher league so they settle in where they are, foster a strong organization where the players are taken care of.

Brian Kilrea also used to do this.

I don't agree with it, personally, but there is something to be said for the positives of doing that.

This is what I talk about with respect to non-championship coach's and GM's like Stan Butler. They like status quo because it is safe. They coach and manage the same way. They do the least amount possible to garner as much possible success year after year while trying to avoid the cycle that has formed over the last 15 or so years.

Stan Butler will NEVER win a Championship because as a GM, he is not willing to make the player moves required and does not coach to develop talent, he coaches not to lose. This means he spends far too much energy on developing systems as opposed to developing players skills.

It is unfortunate in some respects because talented players stagnate BUT the less talented players gain more success because the game is played at their speed.

Stan Butler is a good, stable Coach and GM. He is perfect for a city that needs stability. North Bay s that city right now. Sooner or later the fan base will sour on that strategy just like many fans in Ottawa soured on Brian Kilrea as a GM. I can't count how many fans in Ottawa used to tear strips off me for criticizing Brian Kilrea only to end up on my side in future years.

I disagree. Butler made deals with Saginaw back to back years to make runs. We would welcome a man like Butler in Sudbury. His teams always play above expectations. He will have a strong core returning next year and will always make smart additions to bring in solid 19 or 20 year olds in preseason to get a good solid foundation to build on through the season. So he had one bad season in 5 in North Bay. I think he has done really well. A lot better than Sudbury. Don't run him out of town because you might never end up with a solid and stable coach and GM who is a good developer of junior hockey players.

WJ

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
..a bunch of know nothing millenials are not going to run Stan....they are typists first...knowledgable hockey people second.....that being sad I wish the Battalion sales dept. would start earning their $$$ instead of answering the phones....give me a reason to buy season tix other than I get the same seat out of 4000.....not once was I asked why I and my 2 buddies dropped our ST. ...........and never again,Stan, have an OA goalie you are obligated to play..

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I disagree. Butler made deals with Saginaw back to back years to make runs. We would welcome a man like Butler in Sudbury. His teams always play above expectations. He will have a strong core returning next year and will always make smart additions to bring in solid 19 or 20 year olds in preseason to get a good solid foundation to build on through the season. So he had one bad season in 5 in North Bay. I think he has done really well. A lot better than Sudbury. Don't run him out of town because you might never end up with a solid and stable coach and GM who is a good developer of junior hockey players.

WJ

TWENTY TWO YEARS. ZERO CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Butler will never win a championship. There is a reason why the stronger teams do not look to him to run their organizations.

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015

Butler will never win a championship. There is a reason why the stronger teams do not look to him to run their organizations.

Templeton won one in his tenure as coach/gm, left after that season, team was gone 8 years later.

A lot to be said for stability.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009

1938 Sudbury Wolves last won! So I think its save to say that I would take my chances with Butler to see a few extra playoff games. You have no idea what Sudbury fans have had to endure.

WJ

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere

WJ

Butler has a boring system, if his buddy didn't own the team he would be long gone,and there is alot of OHL teams that would have fired him I'd he wasthwre coach.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
1938 Sudbury Wolves last won! So I think its save to say that I would take my chances with Butler to see a few extra playoff games. You have no idea what Sudbury fans have had to endure.

WJ

It is very easy to justify success when you are held up agaisnt the worst results possible. Throw Butler's record up against Larry Mavety and Gary Agnew and he looks fine. But, tell me, how does Butler fair agaisnt the successful coaches and GM's?

I've said it before and I will say it again. If you want stability and an average team with the odd year of mild success and odd year of failure, Stan Butler is your man. If you want to ever win a Championship, look elsewhere. The statistics prove my point. Butler has a solid winning record in the regular season but a very poor playoff record and ZERO CHAMPIONSHIPS. It is not like we are looking at a small sample size either. I think that proves my point.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Butler has a boring system, if his buddy didn't own the team he would be long gone,and there is alot of OHL teams that would have fired him I'd he wasthwre coach.

A boring system? Who cares if it's boring when it's effective? Do you think the panellists were complaining about Lemaire's boring system when the Devils were winning Cups?

Stan's 'boring' system produced dozens of short-handed goals for the Battalion over the past several seasons. Who's that boring for? Maybe the opponent.

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
It is very easy to justify success when you are held up agaisnt the worst results possible. Throw Butler's record up against Larry Mavety and Gary Agnew and he looks fine. But, tell me, how does Butler fair agaisnt the successful coaches and GM's?

I've said it before and I will say it again. If you want stability and an average team with the odd year of mild success and odd year of failure, Stan Butler is your man. If you want to ever win a Championship, look elsewhere. The statistics prove my point. Butler has a solid winning record in the regular season but a very poor playoff record and ZERO CHAMPIONSHIPS. It is not like we are looking at a small sample size either. I think that proves my point.

700 wins in this league is fine with us in North Bay...

What's your record Don Cherry?

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
A boring system? Who cares if it's boring when it's effective? Do you think the panellists were complaining about Lemaire's boring system when the Devils were winning Cups?

Stan's 'boring' system produced dozens of short-handed goals for the Battalion over the past several seasons. Who's that boring for? Maybe the opponent.

For the amount of years that Stan coached what has he won ? makes the playoffs that's about it. :popcorn:

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Some posters are defending Butler's coaching record with hopes that this will save the team from leaving North Bay, their arguments are emotional for the most part and I believe the team is safe anyways, the STH will continue to support the team regardless of the teams performance,

The posters that highlight the facts of Butlers record in the league, and his coaching style are 100% correct.

The team will always be decent, with no hope of winning anything under Butler's
watch.

A big problem today is getting the top talent in the up coming draft to report, as no matter how much the fans love the team in North Bay, players and their agents in the south know all to well the coaching style and history of the Battalion .

Example: no one believes that Levin was the 1st overall pick 2 years ago, but rather the 1st one that would report to the Wolves.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
As a season ticket holder since the Battalion came here, I don’t really care much about Butler’s systems or how he compares to other coaches at this level. Twice a week or so, I and a little under 3000 other people come out to see what we hope is a competitive and entertaining hockey game. That’s not bad for a small market, considering we’re in a 60-year-old arena and its often cold and crappy winter weather outside. If the home side wins, that’s a bonus - but if they lose, well, there’s always next time. Its something to appreciate when you watch rookie players over the seasons develop into highly skilled players like Mike Amadio and Kyle Wood did and moved on to higher levels. Should I wring my hands about whether the Battalion will ever win a championship? A championship and a toonie will get you a large coffee.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As a season ticket holder since the Battalion came here, I don’t really care much about Butler’s systems or how he compares to other coaches at this level. Twice a week or so, I and a little under 3000 other people come out to see what we hope is a competitive and entertaining hockey game. That’s not bad for a small market, considering we’re in a 60-year-old arena and its often cold and crappy winter weather outside. If the home side wins, that’s a bonus - but if they lose, well, there’s always next time. Its something to appreciate when you watch rookie players over the seasons develop into highly skilled players like Mike Amadio and Kyle Wood did and moved on to higher levels. Should I wring my hands about whether the Battalion will ever win a championship? A championship and a toonie will get you a large coffee.

Hey, don't get me wrong. Stan Butler is a perfect fit for a community that NEEDS stability. He is as stable as it gets.

I am of the belief that in a few years, the market in North Bay will be stable enough to endure the cycle f junior hockey. As such, they will be supported more than well enough in the down years. When that time comes, the loyal fan base will want more than what you are referring to. Their frustration will grow when they rarely see it further than the 2nd round f the playoffs for a decade or more.

When that time comes, the fans will turn on Butler.

It is very likely that given the opportunity and Stan Butler's age, he will surpass Brian Kilrea as the winningest coach in Major Junior Hockey history. I think he may reach that point in about 10 years. He will hold that title but will not have one Championship to back it up.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Butler is 61 years old and I just can't see him coaching for 10 more years. I just found out the 2,601 North Bay attendance average this year was 20th in the OHL.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Butler is 61 years old and I just can't see him coaching for 10 more years. I just found out the 2,601 North Bay attendance average this year was 20th in the OHL.

That's so unfortunate, I really want North Bay to be a long term, stable OHL market as the Wolves-Troops rivalry is awesome and it's good to have a team you can make into a quick and easy road trip as a fan. How was the attendance in your first 3 years?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
For the amount of years that Stan coached what has he won ? makes the playoffs that's about it. :popcorn:

Since moving to North Bay? Several more playoff series than most OHL head coaches.

I guess the London Knights must be the best coached franchise in the history of the OHL. Look at all those championships.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
No offence I have been going to North Bay for years for work, of all the cities I do business in the North> Northbay is a tough place to do business, not sure what it is? Hockey is a hugh in Northbay and have an excellent minor hockey program.

The city did help a lot to renovate the arena, even through some controversy, so can't blame the city for not supporting team, I think they were key in bringing it here.

I think its tough economic times , and I believe the Battalion marketing is to blame. 3yr STH deal, is a big commitment, not everyone has that disposable income to take advantage of that deal. Ownership, needs to open their eyes why NB came 20th in attendance, and make it more attractive and affordable for fans to come. It is only show in town, it should be at full capacity but at the right price.

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
Since moving to North Bay? Several more playoff series than most OHL head coaches.

I guess the London Knights must be the best coached franchise in the history of the OHL. Look at all those championships.

Although he won a championship in his rookie season in the WHL, Kris Knoblauch will be considered a bust in Erie if he doesn't win the championship this year, although leading Erie to 50+ wins the past 4 seasons!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad