North American Hockey Association (Waiting List Open!!)

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
The NHL Players had had enough. More specifically they have had enough of Gary Bettman. After a long, contentious run as commissioner of the NHL they didn't want him in charge anymore. So, the NHLPA had advised them to go on strike.

On January 11th, 2011, the NHL lead voices joined forces in New York to symbolically lay their sticks down in front of Gary Bettman's office. The NHL instantaneously went into lockout mode in the middle of the season.

So, it's present day. We are about 2 weeks away from the trade deadline (hypothetically), and the NHL Executives are scrambling to find a replacement commissioner.

They decided to take a radical approach and hire a young gentleman with a lot of modern ideas. He has promised to to remake hockey as we know it. So on February 14th, 2011 the NHL voted into office NYSportsfan6230 as the new commissioner of the NHL.

He promised instantaneous change, and he quickly delievered. He began by changing the name of the league, it would no longer be known as the National Hockey League, but henceforth would be known as the North American Hockey Association (NAHA).

His second order of business would include expanding NAHA to four new cities. He decided to expand the league to 34 teams. These 4 new teams include 2 Eastern Conference teams, and 2 Western Conference teams. These new teams include: the Quebec Nordiques, Hartford Whalers, Portland Blue Devils, and Las Vegas Vipers.

Here is your task. The NAHA resumes only a few weeks before the trade deadline, and we pick up from there.

Basic Rundown​

Phase 1 - Expansion Draft
  • The 4 teams will be tasked with removing players off former NHL Rosters.
  • The 30 NHL teams will have a chance to lock down 7 players from their roster. The means that the 7 players they deem to be untouchable will not be eligible to be drafted by the 4 new teams.
  • Order of the expansion picks will randomly be determined. Once determined, teams will be picking in intervals of 5 players so as to make sure the draft moves quickly. For example, if Quebec is first followed by Hartford, Quebec would pick players 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and then Hartford would pick their 5 players.
  • Expansion teams are banned from picking two players from the same team during the same picking round. Meaning Las Vegas cannot pick two players from Anaheim in round 1.

Phase 2 - Commencement of the 2010-2011 Season
  • The season picks up 2 weeks before the trade deadline.
  • Teams will use this time to mold their team before the playoff run.

Phase 3 - Playoffs
  • Playoff seeding, and round winners will be determined by votes.

Phase 3 - Offseason
  • The offseason will then commence.
  • The NHL Entry draft will be held using the 2011 draft class.
  • Free Agency then follows, again using the 2011 free agent class.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED THEN PLEASE SEND ME A LIST OF THE 3 TEAMS YOU'D LIKE, IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE. YOU MAY INCLUDE TEH 4 EXPANSION TEAMS IN YOUR LIST IF YOU'RE UP FOR THAT TASK.

Things of Note
  • Salary cap will be set at $59.4M
  • THIS IS NOT A KEEPER LEAGUE. I will determine if it's a keeper league based on league interest after the offseason is finished.
  • I will need a co-commisioner if someone would graciously accept. I am entering my final college semester and will have quite a bit to do, including possibly an internship and work. I will do my best to come on as often as possible, but anyone willing to help would be greatly appreciated.
  • This is my LAST legitimate attempt to create a GM Game. If this doesn't work then I don't think I will give it another shot.
  • I will again be attempting to screen possible GM's to the best of my ability. GM's with a known history in my games will get preferential treatment, will new users will be screened carefully.
  • Lastly, I will only hand out the 4 expansion teams to some of the best GM's I know. I decided this because it is one of the hardest positions in this game. One negative of being an expansion team is that they won't inherit an AHL team. They will have to build their minor league system as much as possible. I can't think of any way to give these new teams an AHL roster, unless someone can come up with something better please let me know.
  • Should we vote to make this a keeper league, the 2nd season winner will be determined using a point system on www.pickuphockey.com
  • Any more questions/concerns feel free to PM myself

I ONLY WILL ALLOW GM SIGN UP UNTIL SATURDAY, JANUARY 15TH, 2011. I NEED TO GET THIS GAME UP AND RUNNING BEFORE I START CLASSES NEXT WEEK. Should we not fill up by Saturday, I may have to slow the game down a little bit while I get acclimated to my new schedule.

Please sign up if you feel you are committed and ready to have fun. Also, remember this is just a game, so have fun. And a final warning: As I have mentioned I already have enough on my plate, so if you're thinking about signing up make sure you feel you will stay with the game because I really don't want to play babysitter and check up on everyone. This game is only scheduled to last a few weeks, depending on whether it is a keeper league or not, so it should not be hard to maintain activity levels.

Thanks for your time, and best of luck to all.

Last edited:

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
:nhl
GM List:

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division:
New Jersey Devils - chezzie11
New York Islanders - Tavares2TheRescue
New York Rangers - NYSportsFan6230
Philadelphia Flyers - flyguy
Pittsburgh Penguins - johnnydollaz89
Hartford Whalers - Modo

Northeast Division:
Boston Bruins - OilGagner89
Buffalo Sabres - Brian Boyle
Montreal Canadiens - habsman56
Ottawa Senators - hockeyalltheway
Toronto Maple Leafs - AlexMaz
Quebec Nordiques - Ovechkin007

Southeast Division:
Atlanta Thrashers - Number Eight
Carolina Hurricanes - JOPA
Florida Panthers- KittysGotClaws
Tampa Bay Lightning - TBLbrifri
Washington Capitals - Moses Doughty

Western Conference

Central Division:
Chicago Blackhawks - Bruno Mars
Columbus Blue Jackets - Oshie
Detroit Red Wings - Barbadian91
Nashville Predators - kzoz21
St. Louis Blues - TourrettesGuy
Las Vegas Vipers - IslesRock4

Northwest Division:
Calgary Flames - Hale The Villain
Colorado Avalanche - CaptPantalones
Edmonton Oilers - Pitt's Best #87 #66
Minnesota Wild - dustyrockon
Vancouver Canucks - CooperDean
Portland Blue Devils - Ktown Sens Fan 19

Pacific Division:
Anaheim Ducks - stempniaksen
Dallas Stars - Brad2891
Los Angeles Kings - Kingjordan
Phoenix Coyotes - CR15
San Jose Sharks - NYR Censored

Waiting List:
1. rc258667

Last edited:

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
If we have been given a team, can we already say the 6 players we're locking down?

Not yet sir :D

It would probably be a moot point at this moment. We don't want to have it get buried in with all the other posts. We should probably wait to start anything until we have at least 80-85% capacity. :nod:

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Not yet sir :D

It would probably be a moot point at this moment. We don't want to have it get buried in with all the other posts. We should probably wait to start anything until we have at least 80-85% capacity. :nod:

Fair enough. I have time to think about it now, so it's probably better. I'm going to have some tough decisions though!

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Fair enough. I have time to think about it now, so it's probably better. I'm going to have some tough decisions though!

Yea, you are definitely going to lose someone of value in all probability. I say that mainly because the Flyers have so many good players that you can't keep all of them. I feel the same way about my Rangers right now, it's going to be tough because I may not be able to hold on to all of them that I want to.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I also want to make note to all the potential applicants and current GM's:

The day that I say that the Game has officially begun, we are going to take ONLY the players on the NHL rosters on that day and have them thrown into the expansion draft.

Let me give an example because I may not have explained that clearly. Michael Del Zotto is currently in the AHL, I do not have to put a lock on him and fear losing him because if he's not on the NHL roster the day I say the game begins then he's not in the draft.

So basically, only NHL players can be picked up by the 4 expansion teams.

johnnydollaz89*

so after we keep 6 players the rest of our team goes into an expansion draft?

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
so after we keep 6 players the rest of our team goes into an expansion draft?

After you decide what 6 players you are going to keep (say Crosby, Malkin, Letang...etc) The rest goes into a pool of players for the expansion draft. If one of those players are picked (say Max Talbot) by one of the 4 expansion teams then you lose that player. Any players that aren't picked by the 4 teams upon completion of the expansion draft will remain on your team.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Haha I was goin', like, Brayden Schenn, etc. Haha.

You can trade for him, except it may only cost you:

gas_4790.jpg

:sarcasm:

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
so if were left with a 17 man roster what do we do?

My answer, as of right now, would be to fill it in with AHL players/signings, trades before the trade deadline so you can at least try and get into the playoffs. Then in the offseason you can change your roster however you want.

I may have to change it so that there is a limit to the number of players that can be taken from a certain team, however I think I kinda like it this way, it's more natural and can really go in any direction.

TBLbrian

Mar 5, 2008
NC
excited to be the :bolts

quick ?, Does our 6 guys include AHL'ers/prospects or just NHL team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad