Confirmed with Link: Nordstrom Signed to extension

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
What outrage? I already stated the deal was fine. The point you're missing is he isn't a 2nd liner and if he plays there, it spells problems for a goal starved team. Yeah they might score a bit more but that line is not putting up 140 points even in an alternate universe. Simple really, not sure what you're on about Gov. :D

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I see some really interesting opinions in this thread. Some think Terry is a "natural scorer" and want to see him back. That "natural scorer" is pretty much a one dimensional player and had 8 goals and 3 assists in 68 games. Nordstrom was overpaid at $1.25M and $1.3M for 2 years and had 10 goals and 14 assists while playing in more situations.

If it's an overpayment, it isn't by much even if he ends up as a 4th liner that can step up into the top 9 when injuries hit.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I see some really interesting opinions in this thread. Some think Terry is a "natural scorer" and want to see him back. That "natural scorer" is pretty much a one dimensional player and had 8 goals and 3 assists in 68 games. Nordstrom was overpaid at $1.25M and $1.3M for 2 years and had 10 goals and 14 assists while playing in more situations.

If it's an overpayment, it isn't by much even if he ends up as a 4th liner that can step up into the top 9 when injuries hit.

Wait though, if you're going to condense the discussion down to a few bullet points let me help defend them. My opinion about Terry is that he has one of the best shots on this team. Especially his one-timer. He's not quite good enough to demand ice time with like minded offensive players and his game is mostly wasted lower than the 3rd line. If the Hurricanes decide to move on, I would understand why. What I mean by natural scorer is that he's a player that goes out there to create offense. Just the way that there are players that go out there to drive possession. If we're choosing, I think this team needs more offense creation. Terry isn't near elite at creating offense, but he's better than many employed by this team. Terry can finish plays, but he can't do anything alone. He spent 767 minutes on the ice this season and scored 8 goals. 725 last year to score 11 goals. Nordstrom spent 1109 and scored 10. Players that can score from the bottom lines are needed, but Terry doesn't have the defensive game to be an ideal fit. I don't think Nordstrom has the offensive game once he stops playing the excessive minutes he played because he happened to click with a player far superior for 60 odd games. If Terry were in the same position, I would imagine his goal totals would have been significant. Not saying that he should have been, because we're debating about two players who are borderline guys in my opinion. Nestrasil is in another category to me. I have seen enough from him to feel comfortable with him being paid like a 3rd line winger that can score. Neither of these guys hit that threshold for me, between Nordstrom and Terry. Just confusing to pay one double and walk away from the other.

Additionally, a lot is being said about Nordstrom being an ideal 4th liner. I don't know about that point either. I don't think he brings a lot of impact physically and it'll be interesting to see if he embraces that grinder role. Maybe it works out and makes me look dumb. I would welcome it. I just don't like the amount of trust being shown to a guy who came in for lack of better options and produced paltry offensive results on a paltry offensive team being viewed as a piece we want to lock up for over league minimum on a two year commitment. Perhaps he's an analytic guy's dream? No clue.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe it's because the Canes never really sign any marquee guys that we end up in endless discussions and worry so much about the bottom of our line-up. There seems to be more angst about the Terrys, Jordans, and now Nordstroms of the team being over paid by a couple hundred thousand vs. the fact that those signings, in the greater scheme of things, are pretty inconsequential, particularly given the Canes cap situation sans Staal and Ward. Every team, whether we like to think so or not, has guys like that on their roster.

Nordstrom getting $1.25M isn't going to make or break this team in any way, even if he regresses. Not getting some top 6 talent that can put the puck in the net, not addressing the goaltending and not building depth (to ride out inevitable injuries) is what's going to keep this team out of the playoffs. I'm not sure if this deal is going to end up being good or bad in the end, but as of right now, I don't think it's an unreasonable signing based on what he's done to date. I was expecting closer to $900K so it's higher than that, but I'm not going to fret a couple hundred K.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Maybe it's because the Canes never really sign any marquee guys that we end up in endless discussions and worry so much about the bottom of our line-up. There seems to be more angst about the Terrys, Jordans, and now Nordstroms of the team being over paid by a couple hundred thousand vs. the fact that those signings, in the greater scheme of things, are pretty inconsequential, particularly given the Canes cap situation sans Staal and Ward. Every team, whether we like to think so or not, has guys like that on their roster.

Nordstrom getting $1.25M isn't going to make or break this team in any way, even if he regresses. Not getting some top 6 talent that can put the puck in the net, not addressing the goaltending and not building depth (to ride out inevitable injuries) is what's going to keep this team out of the playoffs. I'm not sure if this deal is going to end up being good or bad in the end, but as of right now, I don't think it's an unreasonable signing based on what he's done to date. I was expecting closer to $900K so it's higher than that, but I'm not going to fret a couple hundred K.
I think it's a vestige response to the JR years and his overslotting instead of upgrading talent. Think Trevor Letowski and some of the other overreaching deals he made in the hopes a guy could recapture a decent season from some time ago or build on a surprising season. As stated already, I'm fine with Nordy's deal, even if he ends on L4, I just don't want to see him regularly on the 2nd line because it won't bode well for fixing the scoring needs.

If RF wants to bump Staal, Nordy and Nesty to the 3rd line and build a better second line, that's fine but the notion that those 3 should stay together because of good chemistry and play 2nd line minutes is worrisome. On a contending team, even one vying for a WC slot, those guys, excluding Staal, have to be part of your bottom 6 not your top 6.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Designated the J.Staal + scrubs as the 2nd or 3rd line seems pointless....they're the shutdown line, they always play 15-17 minutes a night while matching up against the opposition.

There's no difference in saying "J.Staal is the 3rd line: we need a better 2nd" vs. "J. Staal is the 2nd line: we need a better 3rd". Both statements are 100% correct because they are actually saying the exact same thing: the non-1st line non-J. Staal line needs to be a good secondary scoring line.

(So really, this is just semantics, but I remember having this discussion before)

Also FWIW J. Staal played nearly 20 minutes a night when the Penguins won the Cup in 2009, 3rd among forwards behind....guess.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Designated the J.Staal + scrubs as the 2nd or 3rd line seems pointless....they're the shutdown line, they always play 15-17 minutes a night while matching up against the opposition.

There's no difference in saying "J.Staal is the 3rd line: we need a better 2nd" vs. "J. Staal is the 2nd line: we need a better 3rd". Both statements are 100% correct because they are actually saying the exact same thing: the non-1st line non-J. Staal line needs to be a good secondary scoring line.

(So really, this is just semantics, but I remember having this discussion before)

Also FWIW J. Staal played nearly 20 minutes a night when the Penguins won the Cup in 2009, 3rd among forwards behind....guess.
It's more than semantics. Nesty and Nordy don't need to be on a shutdown line and they rarely logged 15-17 minutes a game, not sure where that comes from. It's not unusual that at EV the 3rd line's TOI is about 2 minutes less than the 2nd line. Doesn't sound like a ton but it adds up and the difference is often bigger at home. A shutdown line doesn't have to have to grinders on the wing either just as a 4th line, especially in a puck possession system, doesn't have to have big hitters (size is good though to win board battles).

Think back to the Canes' Cup year. Remember who was on that shutdown line and how dangerous it was? Their defensive duties didn't sacrifice offense but often created more offense. With every F being held to BP's edict of responsible two-way play, you have more options than sticking depth forwards on a line with JStaal. Let him center guys with solid two-way games and the line becomes that much more dangerous with the puck going up against the other team's top lines which in theory will be a better match-up.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Nordstrom had 19 games out of 71 where he logged less than 15, the last time being Jan. 22nd.

However, if your point is that we can do better in wingers for J. Staal- thereby turning it into a two way line rather than a shutdown line- then I agree.

On the flip side, if the 'Canes are rolling two great scoring lines + a pure shutdown line, I don't see why that option is automatically a no-go.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

This. As is, it's a shutdown line with upside. So long a it's a plus line, who cares how much they score, or where they're "slotted"?

It's a lot of hand wringing for nothing. It's April, for Chrissakes. If this low risk, low cost signing turns out to be an actual problem come October, then our real problems are 100% elsewhere.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Nordstrom had 19 games out of 71 where he logged less than 15, the last time being Jan. 22nd.

However, if your point is that we can do better in wingers for J. Staal- thereby turning it into a two way line rather than a shutdown line- then I agree.

On the flip side, if the 'Canes are rolling two great scoring lines + a pure shutdown line, I don't see why that option is automatically a no-go.
I was talking about even strength minutes not total time on ice witch got skewed as he was used more as a secondary killer as the season wore on. But yes more of a 2 way line then a pure shutdown line which often sacrifices offense.

This. As is, it's a shutdown line with upside. So long a it's a plus line, who cares how much they score, or where they're "slotted"?

It's a lot of hand wringing for nothing. It's April, for Chrissakes. If this low risk, low cost signing turns out to be an actual problem come October, then our real problems are 100% elsewhere.
It's not a question of his pay it's a question of where he plays. This roster needs both of scoring wing and a playmaking wing to bolster its offense. In that scenario, Nordstrom plays in the bottom six where he belongs. Yes, it's April, the time where without a playoff team there's not much more to discuss until the draft. Feel free to sit it out if it offends your sensibilities. ;)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
This has nothing to do with any of the above, but Nordstrom might be the skinnest NHL player I've ever seen. Does he have his own sandwich at this point? He needs to eat a few more.

CalUK

Feb 16, 2015
Scotland
Good signing, player with some experience, and decent contract. Defo the kind of player the Canes need to keep, happy with this.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
If RF can find 2 top six forwards in free agency or trade (or Aho, though I'd rather he be a surprise than counted on), then everybody gets pushed down to the proper slotting and all this is okay.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I do believe Peters starts the season with Nesty/Staal/Nordy on the same line. He'll have them do what they did last year and shut down the opposing teams top lines and PK. If they score, added bonus. That line was pretty damn good last year. Staal played his best as a Can, Nesty and Nordy both played like legit NHL players. Why in the world would they break that up b/c Nesty/Nordy are 4th liners, with the occassional step-in when needed in the Top 9. No way. They put these guys back together and see if they start how they finished.

If Terry is back, someone just shoot me. I'm still waiting to see this 'natural goal scorer' people say he is.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Which was my point. Hand wringing over signing Nordstrom for maybe a couple hundred K is kinda silly. Had he signed Nordstrom to $800K for 1 year or acquired some other bottom 6 player for ~$1M, that's not the issue. The issue will be IF (or when) he doesn't fill a couple of glaring holes in the top 6.

If the Canes don't find a couple more guys that can put the puck in the net and address the goaltending, we'll be on the outside looking in again, Nordstrom or no Nordstrom.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Which was my point. Hand wringing over signing Nordstrom for maybe a couple hundred K is kinda silly. Had he signed Nordstrom to $800K for 1 year or acquired some other bottom 6 player for ~$1M, that's not the issue. The issue will be IF (or when) he doesn't fill a couple of glaring holes in the top 6.

If the Canes don't find a couple more guys that can put the puck in the net and address the goaltending, we'll be on the outside looking in again, Nordstrom or no Nordstrom.

Exactly. Nordstrom can play on a "top" line in the sense that is shuts down other teams' top lines and wears them down and then gets a solid scoring opportunity. Frankly, we need more though. I love the Nordy signing because he can play on this putative top line, do well on a third line, and rock a 4th line. The issue isn't Nordy. The issue is that we have to find a scoring threat and a secondary scoring threat....period.

I cannot wait to see what Ronnie does at the draft.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

A few 100k probably won't matter, unless it does. I think it's fine, because of the level of his play on Staal's line. The worry, is that rather than get 2 real good players, they get a couple 'versteeg' level players, in which case, they could have used a bump up in talent where Nordstrom is slotted. 1.3 seems like more than you'd expect for a guy expected to be on the 4th.

And as somebody said, the effectiveness of Nords with Staal translating to success with McClement is far from a given, I imagine. Sort of wish they could dump McClement somehow, and give 4C to Riley Nash. Which again sort of makes the point. McClement signs a harmless 1.2x2 deal, or whatever the money was. But then he stinks it up in year 1, and now his presence on the roster is harming the team, on top of eating up the money.

Last edited:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC

Right but little hand-wringing was being done about his deal. A coupe posters made grumbled about the cost but recent convos were more so about his role and how it would impact top 6 needs. That is a scoring and playmaking forward (at least to me).

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
McClement signs a harmless 1.2x2 deal, or whatever the money was. But then he stinks it up in year 1, and now his presence on the roster is harming the team, on top of eating up the money.

McClement is harming the team, either by presence or by salary commitment, and it's a problem for the team who summarily dumped Alex Semin. Really. It's like we're trying to prevent the rest of the group from bringing up QC again.

Oh, wait. Yes, carry on with whining about Nordstrom's contract, please!

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well, he's right. I don't think McClement's salary is hurting and needs to be dumped ASAP, but McClement is quite bad and if Nash could be signed to a decent deal to play C on the 4th line instead, then that would be better for the team.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
McClement is harming the team, either by presence or by salary commitment, and it's a problem for the team who summarily dumped Alex Semin. Really. It's like we're trying to prevent the rest of the group from bringing up QC again.

Oh, wait. Yes, carry on with whining about Nordstrom's contract, please!

Right!? Why anyone would even think to complain about Nordstrom's contract in a Nordstrom's contract thread anyway what with Semin was bought out and quebec city rumors group post resurface. Jay McClement is a problem, or is he? Very cogent point. Agree 100%.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this thread? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this thread! It does not make sense! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
What happens on hfb when Canes fans are forced to sit out the playoffs for a seventh straight year:

tumblr_inline_o5rsmreDwf1ssuto6_500.gif

Seinfeld+Slap+Fight.gif

6a072fb59c947aa942c66d4a11e38e73.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad