Confirmed with Link: Nordstrom Signed to extension

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If he maintains or gets better, it's great. If he regresses, it's hardly an albatross but becomes an annoyance I suppose. I thought he really had a good year.

If that line gets seperated, I don't know what I would expect offensively out of Nordstrom. He's got size, speed and can forecheck. Good role player. Worth keeping. I hope we have seen the last of the terry/nash/gerbe/malone group. I'd like to see no more than one of those come back.

I hope we keep Nash...I fear we keep Terry. Nash is very versatile and easily outplayed Terry the 2nd half of the year. Add to that he can play both wing and center as well as looked really good on the PP and PK, I keep him as a 4th liner that can move up to the third line in an emergency.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
A new and improved Patrick Dwyer. The upside is that you can just leave that Jordan line together, and focus on getting a top line.

An interesting balance between sticking with what you know, and rolling the dice on finding something else.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
A new and improved Patrick Dwyer. The upside is that you can just leave that Jordan line together, and focus on getting a top line.

An interesting balance between sticking with what you know, and rolling the dice on finding something else.

That's part of the reason this worries me. It's not the extra $500k per year. It's the fact that in so doing, they've likely given us an indication of where they slot him. Which seems to be comfortably on the third line if not above. He played about 15-19 minutes a night last year towards the end which seems to be a trend more towards 2nd line. Looks a lot like the Gerbe signing a few years back.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
That's part of the reason this worries me. It's not the extra $500k per year. It's the fact that in so doing, they've likely given us an indication of where they slot him. Which seems to be comfortably on the third line if not above. He played about 15-19 minutes a night last year towards the end which seems to be a trend more towards 2nd line. Looks a lot like the Gerbe signing a few years back.

Wait... the Canes are eleventy billions dollars below the floor, and we're worried that $500k is a signal?

It's a decent flexible deal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Wait... the Canes are eleventy billions dollars below the floor, and we're worried that $500k is a signal?

It's a decent flexible deal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not a blaring fire alarm for sure, but I don't know how I feel about it. I'm not comfortable with a playoff hockey team, which is obviously what we see ourselves as next season, putting a guy like this on a tier above his competition based on salary considerations. If Nordstrom plays more than 15 minutes a night next year, we won't go anywhere. Just my #hottake

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
He can easily be a fourth liner or press box at that salary and our situation. I don't buy that it slots him anywhere. As for the others, Nash at most, and I'd explore moving on from him given the likelihood he will not go super quickly if let to free agency, and we could therefore possibly sign him as a backup plan. Terry and Nash both seem like guys that get a hot streak going and everyone says why not. Let's move on from that.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
It's fine. At least Nordstrom has some size and good enough speed. Gerbe disappeared because he's as physical as a wet noodle.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's fine. At least Nordstrom has some size and good enough speed. Gerbe disappeared because he's as physical as a wet noodle.

I don't know if that's fair to Gerbe. I think that it's just much easier to notice a lost step at 5'6" than it is at 6'0". When your entire game is predicated on your shiftiness and not much else, it's a death sentence to get banged up a lot.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
yeah i dont buy that price being a "slot" anywhere

if anything, thats what i expect to sign an average-good 4th liner for

he has shown that at the very least that is what he is, with potential to play up

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I don't know if that's fair to Gerbe. I think that it's just much easier to notice a lost step at 5'6" than it is at 6'0". When your entire game is predicated on your shiftiness and not much else, it's a death sentence to get banged up a lot.

Sure, but that's what makes Nordstrom safer than Gerbe. Even if he fails to live up to what worked this year, it's a fair enough deal for a 4th liner.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not to mention what made him effective with Jordan translates REALLY damn well to being a good PKer and 4th liner, even if his scoring touch dries up and/or we sign a top line guy for the right side this offseason.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

It does look a lot like the Gerbe signing, which makes me a little nervous. The caveats being that he plays a possession/cycling game that compliments Jordan well, rather than a puck hog that shoots every time he touches it at a 4% rate, and I think he's better defensively which means he can be effective playing 11 a night on the 4th and PK if some things go right, and the team can upgrade his slot.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I like Nordstrom overall but the Twitter kid wasn't totally wrong, he doesn't have a ton of upside. I see a lot more upside in Nestrasil's game, for instance, and he's actually a year older.

I think Nash is gone, I think somebody will see more offensive potential in him than he actually has and throw him a decent contract. If PDG and Aho are coming in hot next year there's no real reason to put a lot into signing Nash, and you can find a good utility forward pretty easily.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I hope we keep Nash...I fear we keep Terry. Nash is very versatile and easily outplayed Terry the 2nd half of the year. Add to that he can play both wing and center as well as looked really good on the PP and PK, I keep him as a 4th liner that can move up to the third line in an emergency.
Fully agree about Nash. I don't see a future for Terry here and if there is, it means RF disappointingly has basically kept the status quo.

The Nordy deal is fine. But if he's playing with Staal again on the de facto 2nd line, this team has big depth problems yet again. He's a 3rd liner/4th liner with more value on the 4th IMO.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Is "upside" a concern with a 24-year old who has 135 games played over 3 years in the league? I thought that was the laughable part of the kid's comment.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Bottom line IMO is that Nordy earned this deal this year. He played well enough certainly to merit $1.275M this year. It's a bit of a vote of confidence for Nordstrom to get a 2 year deal. There's a touch of risk to this, but ultimately I'd rather give him 2 years then see Nordstrom score a bit more this year and earn a $2.5 or $3M contract. If he scores 30 points instead of 24 that's probably what he is getting.

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Fully agree about Nash. I don't see a future for Terry here and if there is, it means RF disappointingly has basically kept the status quo.

The Nordy deal is fine. But if he's playing with Staal again on the de facto 2nd line, this team has big depth problems yet again. He's a 3rd liner/4th liner with more value on the 4th IMO.

If Jordan needs to play beside complimentary players in order to be effective then so be it. Jordan's early '16 play was the only time he's come close to what he was signed here to be; an elite 2 way forward, a leader who elevates the skills of his line mates. Jo brought out significant offense from both Nesty and Nordstrom, both could be 40 point guys next season if the line sticks together - with Jordan getting around 60. This is a fine 2nd line.

Start them off in preseason together and see if the magic is still there. If it is, then you have one line figured out in your depth chart and can focus on finding more skill to pair with our only two natural scorers up top (Skinner, Rask). I argue that Nordy/Nesty clicking with Jordan helps the depth problem rather than hurts it because their play is elevated to a 2nd line skillset, whereas without Jordan they are more meager bottom 6 guys.

Skinner-Rask-Legit scoring forward/PDG
Nest-Staal-Nord
Aho-Lindholm-Legit scoring forward/PDG
McGinn-Mcclement-X

if you can grab two scoring forwards and put PDG on the 4th even better.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
^That's crazy talk about Nordy and Nesty each being 40 point players and Jordan isn't hitting 60 with those two. This reminds me of last year's silliness here about Terry hitting 40 points. N&N are nice role players period, not guys who will solve the depth problem. They are both bottom 6 guys and if they both play in the top 6 all season, it's another year of missed playoffs. This roster is lacking two scoring forwards and they are not those guys.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
^That's crazy talk about Nordy and Nesty each being 40 point players and Jordan isn't hitting 60 with those two. This reminds me of last year's silliness here about Terry hitting 40 points. N&N are nice role players period, not guys who will solve the depth problem. They are both bottom 6 guys and if they both play in the top 6 all season, it's another year of missed playoffs. This roster is lacking two scoring forwards and they are not those guys.

Omg.

Srsly, who gives a ****? Nordy is getting paid like a solid NHL 4th liner. If he keeps clicking with Jordan and Nesty and they put up improved numbers with a year's more experience playing together -- which, despite your outraged protestations, they might very well -- then it's all bonus.

If not, he's a good big body for the 4th line, appropriately paid for those duties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad