Blue Jays Discussion: Non-waiver Trade Deadline (August 1st)...Jays acquire Melvin Upton Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
For the sake of good defense let's hope Bautista plays 1B instead.

Jose, at least in the past, didn't like switching positions. Given how much more of a grump he seems to be now vs back then, he's not gonna move to first without kicking and screaming. He really is just a DH/1B player now, just don't tell him that.

LaCarriere

So to put everything into perspective, we have seen the last of Colabello, Goins and probably Zeke, until the September roster expansion. Smoak's at bats will be limited, Barney is the utility infielder, and Thole will continue to be the 2nd catcher.

I doubt we see Colabello much or at all even after rosters expand, unless they hit a rough patch of injuries.

He's ineligible for the playoffs due to the PED suspension, so to bring him back and give him any meaningful playing time while taking time away from other guys potentially heading into the playoffs doesn't make much sense.

Other than maybe a rare pinch hit scenario where he has favourable numbers against a certain pitcher, or a favourable split, I think he's done.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm stunned that SD are paying all but 5 million of his contract. I can't recall seeing many like this, but I don't watch trades that don't involve Toronto that closely.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm stunned that SD are paying all but 5 million of his contract. I can't recall seeing many like this, but I don't watch trades that don't involve Toronto that closely.

eating salary is quite common in MLB trades. Especially when moving guys with lots of salary attached, teams often eat a lot of the salary to get a better return.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Fair enough, but this much salary, for this little return?

When a player is quite overpaid, yes. LA pretty much gave Hamilton back to Texas for nothing eating almost all his salary.(though there were obviously other issues there)

Hansel is a prospect at low level. But he's one of the better ones down there. It's obviously not a great return for them, but they probably like something about him. It could work out great for him, but there's a lot more risk involved because it's such a low level and he's so young.

Better to eat salary for a player who's overpaid and get a really young player you really like than eat 5 million and get a nobody AAAA guy who's nothing more than a bench player/filler.

It can be the difference between basically giving away a player to get rid of their salary and getting something that could be very useful for the future. San Diego is in a place where it's better for them to get that useful piece than just dump the salary and reallocate the money somewhere else.

Essentially buying a better prospect. Better may seem not really true, but in the sense they bought a higher ceiling than a nothing return they would have got for him for nothing.

I thought maybe they could have gotten someone better eating that much money which is why I'm ok with it from a Jays perspective when I didn't really want him, but I guess they like Hansel.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
eating salary is quite common in MLB trades. Especially when moving guys with lots of salary attached, teams often eat a lot of the salary to get a better return.

You are right that the idea of retaining salary in MLB trades is very common. However, the surprising part is that the Padres will be paying $17 mil of his $22 mil over the next year and a half and all they get out of the deal is the Blue Jays #18 prospect...

There were reports of a bidding war between Toronto, Baltimore, and another team. Did the Orioles and whoever the other was seriously offer less than that?

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
You are right that the idea of retaining salary in MLB trades is very common. However, the surprising part is that the Padres will be paying $17 mil of his $22 mil over the next year and a half and all they get out of the deal is the Blue Jays #18 prospect...

There were reports of a bidding war between Toronto, Baltimore, and another team. Did the Orioles and whoever the other was seriously offer less than that?

I believe the Orioles wanted to unload Ubaldo Jiminez for him, which would have been pretty expensive for the Padres to pick up.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Last I saw the Orioles deal included San Diego taking on Ubaldo Jimenez's contract. The financial numbers probably worked out the same and the Padres liked the Jays prospect better. Plus, I heard somewhere today they were looking to open up a roster space for a young player. The Toronto trade does that.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

it's easy to look at a prospects ranking and say why didn't they get more, but these teams have their own scouting services. Baltimore may have been offering their #10 prospect but maybe San Diego's scouts really like something about Hansel.

It's really tough to judge lower level prospects. They might think he can be a top 5 type prospect in a couple years.

Look back at the Jays trade of Halladay. D'Arnaud was a lower level guy with less value than the other 2 pieces at the time, and he developed into our top prospect at the time we traded him.

Lower level guys don't tend to get a higher rank until they prove themselves at a higher level, unless they're one of those highly touted guys like Guerrero Jr.

In the minds of San Diego they might have gotten a much better return by eating money because they might love Hansel, but it won't look like that from an outsider perspective so it's more confusing.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I swear, any time the Jays make a significant move it's like a full-Moon being out for the callers to the Fan 590.

Some of the rants and raves about this trade I heard on the radio driving home this afternoon were absolute classics.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Jose, at least in the past, didn't like switching positions. Given how much more of a grump he seems to be now vs back then, he's not gonna move to first without kicking and screaming. He really is just a DH/1B player now, just don't tell him that.

Where does this come from?

The last time I remember Bautista switching positions was a few years ago when Brett Lawrie was injured early in the season. Bautista volunteered to play some third base, hurt his back and at that point the Jays as an organization decided he would stay in the OF. I also recall Bautista moving over to play centre in the past and coming in to play 1B - I don't recall him ever complaining.

And earlier this year, Bautista went to Gibbons and suggested moving to the lead off spot in an effort to get the offense humming. He did this in his free agent year, knowing he would be sacrificing some RBI opportunities by moving up.

I really don't get this negativity around Bautista. I don't recall him ever causing a problems in this regard.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Thoughts on acquiring Sabathia? I remember he was linked with Toronto a few weeks ago.

What could the Jays give up in return, of course the Yankees would eat a significant proportion of his salary.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thoughts on acquiring Sabathia? I remember he was linked with Toronto a few weeks ago.

What could the Jays give up in return, of course the Yankees would eat a significant proportion of his salary.

pass. Would rather run with Hutch when Sanchez goes to the pen. Not really an upgrade on our other 4 pitchers for the playoff rotation.

If we're getting a pitcher it needs to be a clear upgrade and even then the cost of acquisition probably won't make sense.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

I would have to give it some more thought, but at this point I can't think of a worse move for the Jays to make.

Last thing I want to see is Sabathia sucking up a roster spot all of next year.

Plus, he's not really an upgrade over anything they already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad