Blue Jays Discussion: Non-waiver Trade Deadline (August 1st)...Jays acquire Melvin Upton Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
if they don't make significant upgrades I'm embarassed to be a fan.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
if they don't make significant upgrades I'm embarassed to be a fan.

I'd be more embarrassed if they trade away the farm for short term pieces.

I want them to upgrade but be smart about it. This isn't the time to get into bidding wars. I'd be fine with a couple more Grilli type deals.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Here is where we rank at each position in fwar so far this season.

C- 28th - Martin/Thole
1b- 14th - Smoak/Edwin
2b- 19th - Travis /Barney/Goins
SS- 8th - Tulo/Barney/Goins
3b- 2nd - Donaldson/Barney/Dominguez
LF- 3rd - Saunders/Carerra
CF- 10th - Pillar
RF- 12th - Bautista/Carrera/Lake
DH- 5th - Edwin + random rest days for different players
SP- 8th - Sanchez, Estrada, Stroman, Happ, Dickey
RP- 10th -

Really rough start for Martin, seems to be back to normal self mostly, last year martin had a 3 fwar season playing on 1 leg. This year he's only at 0.2 fwar and climbing after playing below replacement level earlier this year. Thole doesn't help and compare this to last year when we had Navarro our catchers production ranked top 5.

But this might give people an idea of where we stand right now before the deadline and where to upgrade, who to re-sign.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
What should they significantly upgrade?

I think we are fine with minor upgrades

back up catcher for insurance (maybe Suzuki?)
another left handed reliever if they don't trust Loup/Morales (maybe Will Smith or Jake McGee?)

I like our OF depth with Pompey healthy again
I like our IF depth and bench depth

I think our rotation is fine if Estrada stays healthy.

Even if Sanchez goes to the pen we will only need 6-8 starts out of Hutch. Not a huge drop off over a short time span.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think we are fine with minor upgrades

back up catcher for insurance (maybe Suzuki?)
another left handed reliever if they don't trust Loup/Morales (maybe Will Smith or Jake McGee?)

I like our OF depth with Pompey healthy again
I like our IF depth and bench depth

I think our rotation is fine if Estrada stays healthy.

Even if Sanchez goes to the pen we will only need 6-8 starts out of Hutch. Not a huge drop off over a short time span.

Not sure I will like our rotation for the ALDS, should we make it there, if Sanchez goes to the pen. You have Estrada, Happ, and then Stro and Dickey? Yikes! We'll need to add another starter if Sanchez goes to the pen for sure. Even if you cut it down to 3 starters in the ALDS, I still don't want one of Stro or Dickey starting a playoff game right now. Dickey has been good but I will never feel comfortable with him starting playoff games. Stroman will have to be more consistent later in the season for me to feel comfortable starting him the playoffs this year. Do you want Hutch starting playoff games? I don't think so.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Not sure I will like our rotation for the ALDS, should we make it there, if Sanchez goes to the pen. You have Estrada, Happ, and then Stro and Dickey? Yikes! We'll need to add another starter if Sanchez goes to the pen for sure. Even if you cut it down to 3 starters in the ALDS, I still don't want one of Stro or Dickey starting a playoff game right now. Dickey has been good but I will never feel comfortable with him starting playoff games. Stroman will have to be more consistent later in the season for me to feel comfortable starting him the playoffs this year. Do you want Hutch starting playoff games? I don't think so.

There really isn't much out there for SP that would be an upgrade on what we have nor would I want to get in a bidding war for the limited options out there.

I'd definitely make calls to see if you can shake loose a good young starting pitcher from another team but I don't want any part of Hill or Hellickson, or whatever else is out there in the rental market.

Very hard to have a perfect team. Will we need some guys to step up for us in the playoffs? yes but so does every championship team in any sport. KC needed some guys play over their heads to win last year.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I'm confident that Marcus Stroman circa July 15th 2016 will not be the same as Marcus Stroman September 30th 2016. That's just me.

bentharbour

Feb 27, 2008
IMO Sanchez should not go to the pen. Can someone fill me in on the logic behind this idea? Why are we sheltering him? Is it simply the fact that he hasn't pitched this many big league innings before?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
IMO Sanchez should not go to the pen. Can someone fill me in on the logic behind this idea? Why are we sheltering him? Is it simply the fact that he hasn't pitched this many big league innings before?

Pretty much.

Along with zero confidence in most of what we have back there.

Maybe Chavez goes into the rotation instead of Hutch.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
what does "we don't need upgrades" mean?

are we trying to win or what?

bentharbour

Feb 27, 2008
Pretty much.

Along with zero confidence in most of what we have back there.

Maybe Chavez goes into the rotation instead of Hutch.

I'd rather upgrade the pen than send Sanchez there, leaving a hole in the rotation. I am sure a bullpen upgrade is out there.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Starters are incredibly expensive at the deadline, whereas BP arms are often cheap.

Looks like Yankees will likely deal Chapman. Not sure if they'll want to trade him to us, but then if they're out of it, why not.

And for the love of god, leave Sanchez in the rotation, but do a much much better job of limiting his innings.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
what does "we don't need upgrades" mean?

are we trying to win or what?

Every team is trying to win but it's just not realistic to keep trading prospects every year. The best run organizations don't require major upgrades at the deadline because they have a lot of young depth to fill holes. If you keep trading away prospects you eventually end up like the Tigers, Yankees, Phillies, etc. I'd much rather model this organization after San Fran or St.Louis.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Every team is trying to win but it's just not realistic to keep trading prospects every year. The best run organizations don't require major upgrades at the deadline because they have a lot of young depth to fill holes. If you keep trading away prospects you eventually end up like the Tigers, Yankees, Phillies, etc. I'd much rather model this organization after San Fran or St.Louis.

I bet you all those "best run organizations" all make major upgrades before the deadline.

and you don't upgrade every year - just the ones where you have a chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad