Blue Jays Discussion: Non-waiver Trade Deadline (August 1st)...Jays acquire Melvin Upton Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So then it really should be Donaldson leading off. That's the guy I want getting more AB's then anyone and his OBP blows every else away.

Sure. that would be better. but flip flopping the two is pretty damn minor.

I'm more worried about a 6th or 7th inning starting with the bottom of the order then I am leading off the 1st.

the earlier the good bats go up in the first the faster they come up again in the late innings.

Donaldson setting the table for everyone from the 2 hole worked out pretty good last season.

note that by far the hottest offensive stretch of last season came with tulo hitting leadoff, not revere.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You don't throw an insult out asking someone to google OBP if you don't want to get sarcasm back in exchange.

Telling someone how to use google is the first ignorant comment thrown out....not the response to look at other stats as well which proves the person clearly knows what the stats mean.

Fine, you're right. I apologize for my go google OBP comment.

So yeah back to the discussion. If you're replacing Jose with a Saunders, Donaldson(though I'd prefer to keep him 2nd), Travis, or someone of that ilk that's not a case I will pick fault In. I'd rather keep Jose there but it's not a big deal.

If someone is going to argue for someone like Upton, or Pillar(or the million Revere arguments that happened last year) I'm going to be pretty adamant against it.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Am I missing something about him? In the press conference a reporter just asked if there were any concerns about things that have happened in the past; is there some off-field issue(s) he had in the past?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last 2yrs:

Donaldson .387obp, .275iso, 158wrc+
Bautista .372obp, .266iso, 139wrc+
Encarnacion .365obp, .281iso, 144wrc+
Saunders .361obp, .243iso, 135wrc+
Travis .346obp, .182iso, 123wrc+
Tulowitzki .329obp, .178iso, 101wrc+
Martin .324obp, .177iso, 100wrc+
Upton .313obp, .179iso, 104wrc+
Pillar .307obp, .123iso, 88wrc+

that might be the best lineup right there.

but if gibby wants to flip joey/Josh and travis/tulo, that's fine.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Am I missing something about him? In the press conference a reporter just asked if there were any concerns about things that have happened in the past; is there some off-field issue(s) he had in the past?

He had issues with managers in the past. In Tampa I remember there being a problem or two. Not sure it was a problem in Atlanta (he was awful as a player there).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So Upton was here, but because he was traded to a Canadian team. He had to leave the country, and re-enter as an employee of a Canadian team. That's interesting.

Should be there for the game tonight.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004

Just wanted to say that it is very classy of you to admit your fault, and that in a internet forum. It shows maturity and I am personally impressed by it. Nicely done. I mean it. :handclap:

No more yelling at each other, everybody! Learn from these guys... Be nice! :D

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Good deal for the now and for next year. Nothing bad about this other than where and how often will he play. He should be playing everyday IMO.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

I'm a little nervous that the Jays' brass might see him as a true 4th outfielder (or worse, a platoon partner for Saunders who doesn't have platoon splits) as opposed to someone who provides value by playing the field and taking an atrocious defender off the field (and Justin Arencibia out of the lineup).

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

So yeah back to the discussion. If you're replacing Jose with a Saunders, Donaldson(though I'd prefer to keep him 2nd), Travis, or someone of that ilk that's not a case I will pick fault In. I'd rather keep Jose there but it's not a big deal.

If someone is going to argue for someone like Upton, or Pillar(or the million Revere arguments that happened last year) I'm going to be pretty adamant against it.

That was can all agree with :)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So Upton was here, but because he was traded to a Canadian team. He had to leave the country, and re-enter as an employee of a Canadian team. That's interesting.

Wonder if he starts .. Maybe Saunders gets a night off from the field and DH's?

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Batting either of them lead off would be ridiculous.

Bautista is a much better option and there are more than enough power bats in the line up that they can safely sacrifice his middle of the order power for his OBP (and power) in the lead off spot.

Seriously, if Bautista had 15 steals right now, this wouldn't even be a discussion. But because he doesn't fit the "traditional" profile of a lead off hitter a bunch of people get their shorts in a knot.

Their three most dangerous hitters are Bautista, Donaldson and EE and they are going to get the most at bats the rest of the way. Plus, the opposing pitcher has to face all three of them in the first inning.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

He came here as a visitor getting paid by a US company, he would need the paperwork done to say he's moving into the country and compensated by a local company.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens

So Melvin Upton Jr., formerly B.J., became a Blue Jay while his team was in Canada playing the Blue Jays, and he had to return to USA to update his papers as he is now employed by a Canadian company.

Hopefully he doesn't get a suspicious border agent who keeps him in custody.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I'm a little nervous that the Jays' brass might see him as a true 4th outfielder (or worse, a platoon partner for Saunders who doesn't have platoon splits) as opposed to someone who provides value by playing the field and taking an atrocious defender off the field (and Justin Arencibia out of the lineup).

I don't think they view him as a true "4th outfielder". Much more likely as somebody who will be playing often at any of the three outfield spots allowing Saunders, Bautista, Donaldson and Encarnacion to cycle through DH on a day by day basis.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Fun to keep in mind that the O's were involved in a trade for Upton too .. Nice of the Jays to boost their roster, prevent the team you're chasing from improve, all at a great cost

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is an amazing move. Can't look at this negatively at all.

A little curious to see who loses his spot on the 25 man roster. I assume we'll go with a 7 man rotation. No way do Carrera or Barney go down.

Last night I saw that Lake had been DFA'd. Maybe that was it? Or was that making room for someone else?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Fun to keep in mind that the O's were involved in a trade for Upton too .. Nice of the Jays to boost their roster, prevent the team you're chasing from improve, all at a great cost

Not only did the O's not improve, their version of the trade was intended to rid them of Ubaldo Jimenez. So it falling through means they're still stuck with him as well.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Last night I saw that Lake had been DFA'd. Maybe that was it? Or was that making room for someone else?

That was to make room for Bautista.

They could DL Martin if he's not getting any better, or drop a Tepera/Schultz.

edit: nvm I didn't realize Martin played yesterday (I missed the game). So drop a reliever in this case, or Carrera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad